Question

jiminsd
    atrix upgrade status news changed today, explainAnswered
    Question posted September 22, 2012 by jiminsdTwo-Way Pager (40+ points) 
    12313 Views, 216 Comments
    Question Title:
    atrix upgrade status news changed today, explain
    Comment:

Hi, I see a status update says future plans details will be coming, does that mean we are still in development for ICS or can we expect a rebate offer?

Best Answer

Matt (Forums Manager)

I have some information on this, in a message from Punit Soni, the new software lead at Motorola.

Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup.

Answer

• Ol_Jethro

As i see it, Google wants to seriously compete with Apple. In order for that to happen they need to streamline their OS upgrades. The $100 rebate i would believe only applies to single core phones. since there are so few out there anymore they wont have to spend millions in rebates. the rebate program is just a ploy to "show" users that they are "trying". We cant expect them to give detailed info on the hold up. I have every belief that the Atrix will get ICS, and JB soon after. during their NC they stated they wanted everyone on JB. perhaps what is holding them up, is them preparing ICS to be upgraded to JB sooner than we think. i mean logically we're talking millions in rebates to Atrix Bionic and Photon users. Millions Moto doesnt have/want to spend. I still have another year left on my Atrix, and im really happy with its performance and reliabilty. im starting to think ICS is the Vista of the Android family.(joke)

• sunflowerenvy
      chinmoto said:
      @sunflowerenvy: every industry has different standards. It's standard practice to upgrade software on phones because of bugs ect. Windows updates its software regulary throughout years of ownership and still updates old software from multiple generations back. There has been no /1 patch that came out since I got GB. Further you wouldnt buy a PC now and be satisfied with windows xp would you. When I purched my 4G it had froyo on it yet it was suposed to be the fastest most advanced phone. I did expect an update to 3.0 since it was on the way. Instead I had to wait for a long while for old software that was better but still buggy. Now there are security flaws in GB and we haven't received any patches or updates so I do expect JB to fix those flaws. If the industry moves to paid updates then when I purchase my next device i'll know to not buy one that is two generations behind and my decision will be based on those terms. I would have waited for a 3.0 phone and not even look at a 2.2. :-)View original

i still am running my xp desktop pc n netbook i trying to used my daughter visa. lap top.i bought my atrix 4g  22 monthes ago.i might upgrade next spring to a bigger screen.i am stll hope that motorola would honor what they said about the upgrade

• Matt (Forums Manager)

I have some information on this, in a message from Punit Soni, the new software lead at Motorola.

Motorola Mobility continues to review how each device can deliver the very best experience possible, and at times, this can mean making tough choices – especially as it relates to Android software upgrades. Today, we need to let you know about some tough choices related to Android 4.0 Ice Cream Sandwich upgrades. Specifically, ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade, but continue to be supported with maintenance releases to ensure optimum performance for the consumer.

We are committed to being more transparent than ever on our software upgrade strategy – even when we’re delivering news consumers may not want to hear. We are doing everything possible to continually improve our communication with you and make sure you are a satisfied customer. That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup.

• fury
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

That’s why we recently announced our $100 rebate program for owners of these and other devices launched in 2011 and beyond that won’t get Android 4.1 Jelly Bean. This program starts in the U.S. this fall, and we are working to expand it to select regions around the world. Please watch for updates at motorola.com/tradeup.

View original

Sorry, Matt and Punit, but $100 just doesn't cut it for me. Especially when the condition is

"Buy a select new Motorola smartphone, trade in your old phone, and we'll give you $100 back."

I can sell it for more than $100 and not be limited to only buying another Motorola phone. Another Motorola phone which might be lucky to get Key Lime Pie or Lollipop or whatever it is they call the next OS. I don't see anything here that instills confidence in future Motorola devices.

Above all, why did it take so long just to tell us that? "Oops, sorry, we guess we can't make your Atrix deliver a good experience when we cram our software onto ICS. Here, buy another phone from us"

• fallingrock

ATRIX 4G, Photon 4G and Electrify will not receive the ICS upgrade

Pretty much what was expected.

Message to customers: Don't expect properly supported products.

• LChinMoto
      UNACCEPTABLE! This could have been told to us alot sooner. Frankly there still isn't an official release. How can you release the atrix 2 so close to the 4g and not support outers. Im very insulated, disgusted and angry. I will make it a point to let everyone know what Motorola has done. This guy won't be purchasing another Moto product.
    • Haze028

I will never again give my money to Motorola and will be doing my best to ensure anyone I know never buys a Motorola product.  Very disapointed to see this evening's post, cannot believe that a phone which was the Flagship of the company a year and a half ago is just dropped, esspecially since it is more than capable of running any newer version of android.

I love android and will continue to support Google, but hope that the Motorola department goes belly up never to be seen again( though i realize this isn't likely to happen, as much as I'd enjoy to watch)

FORMER long time customer....

• ian.blanco

Surprise, surprise. There's no way this phone will be better with whatever updates Motorola passes out. The firmware update from GB to ICS would have made the performance better. Is this guy high? Can I have my $100 in check form please. [removed]

• -- Edited for inappropriate language – please keep this conversation civil and family-friendly and follow our site rules. [1]
    • fury

What baffles me is that these phones are running ICS and JB with custom roms. If these guys, many of whom probably are just doing this as a hobby, have already shoehorned Android 4.x on there without any help from Motorola, what is stopping Motorola themselves from doing the same?

• swallowingled

So they finally give us the truth.  This wouldn't be so bad if Motorola hadn't been telling us for months that the Atrix 4G was getting the ICS update.  This was my first smartphone purchase and I really like the phone(and Android) but I'm extremely disappointed with Motorola.  My phone actually came with Gingerbread already installed and I've had it just over a year, so besides the little update back in Februaury it was pretty much a no upgrade phone form the start.  And sorry Motorola, this $100 rebate isn't going to get me to buy another Motorola phone expecially since there doesn't seem to be a high quality Motorola phone released on AT&T to replace my Atrix.  I'm just glad that they finally quit dodging the issue and told us whats up.  Now we can all finally move on.

• LChinMoto

Motorola has kicked me in the gut in the past but I always found a way to justify their actions. I can't excuse this one. That $100 is an insult and then you want our phones. Y? I would accept an update with some features removed (blur etc) but to string us along and then at the last second of quarter 3 come to this decision.. Ill have to let everyone know about this. Social net, IT department, class, every and any chance I get I'll let them know.. Keep your $100... signed 12yr moto customer

• micohui

If i were the Motorola top management, i would fire the one who make this decision with immediate effect coz this didn't align with industrial practice and piss loyal customer off.

• Spurtle
      The Atrix is the last Motorola product I will ever purchase. I have family plan with 5 phones. I know they don't care if I leave they have already proven that with their actions.
    • lehjr

Doing everything possible to improve communication and satisfaction such as stringing us along since February, then leaving us in the dark, then finally cancelling the update and throwing a $100 coupon at us as a consulation prize? Why would any of us trade in our phones for a lousy $100 and why would we want another phone from you after this experience? If this is the best you and Google can do to make it right you may as well tell Apple you surrender because you're about to lose an awful lot of end users, not just from Motorola, but from the entire Android platform. This is a complete disaster. Whatever happened to that Google I/O aggreement, you know the one, the 18 months of updates? I guess it doesn't matter anymore if you're owned by Google, right? Do what I say, not what I do. I thougt you wanted to fix Android fragmentation, not make it worse. Guess it's time to block all Google products and services at my house since they can't be trusted.

• dontremember
      I'm wondering how much influence AT&T had on this decision? Did they not want to put the effort into wedging their bloat into ICS? I don't know if I'll buy another Motorola phone. I will definitely be looking at other roms when this contract expires in a month or two.