DROID 4 by Motorola

Verizon Wireless

Discussion

pacojr67
    D4 ICS waiting room
    Discussion posted July 14, 2012 by pacojr67ATRIX 4G (3,000+ points)  , tagged DROID 4 by Motorola, Verizon Wireless
    3348 Views, 260 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    D4 ICS waiting room
    Comment:

With all the excitement of the RAZR roll out still going on I know that I've been getting a little antsy waiting. Having ICS on my xoom helps, but it also makes me wish for things on my phone. I love using chrome and would love to use it on my phone too. What is everyone else looking forward to?

Answer

• JBass
      silver6054 said:
      JBass said:
      pacojr67 said:

I assure you, it was not intentional Wink 

I was in a heated argument and I threw my phone. it bounced off of the folded up sunshade on the passengerside of my car and out the window with the charger still attached and right into traffic.

There was more than one tear shed that day.

At least the argument was resolved in a positive way and my phone is ok to boot

Uh oh, another human being human. Surprised

Still, you gotta love a happy ending... Innocent

Well, it's good that the phone is fine, but whether the ending is happy depends on the meaning of "resolved in a positive way". 

For some, that means the opponent is lying dead on the floor (that will teach them to argue with me!). 

Of course, we can givce pscojr67 the benefit of the doubt, but then he/she throws a phone from the car, so maybe not....

No animals,  humans or phones were injured in the making of this post (Right paco? Laughing)

pacojr67 said:

i didn't throw it from the car exactly.  i threw it to the footwell on the passenger side and it bounced out. but we talked through the cause of the argument and fixed the problem.  

i should get a frosty treat for that rightWink

Until ICS comes out, might I suggest a frosty mug of beer or blended margarita? Wink

• ohaness

Just contacted Verizon (again) to see when the D4 will go Global (ICS enabled). They are sticking with "late summer" .  

• JBass
      ohaness said:

Just contacted Verizon (again) to see when the D4 will go Global (ICS enabled). They are sticking with "late summer" .  

As we know the global side of the Razr came as a part of the ICS update, it appears that they are saying the ICS for the D4 will arrive late summer... Frown

• greggmh123

I was talking to a client who had the ICS update on his RAZR, and he stated that he couldn't hide unwanted apps any more in the Apps screens, nor could he remove apps from the home screens by pressing on them, waiting, then dragging them to the red trash can bar at the top of the screen.

Is he doing something wrong, or is this missing functionality that we will inherit with our D4s when they get ICS?

Gregg Hill

• JBass
      greggmh123 said:

I was talking to a client who had the ICS update on his RAZR, and he stated that he couldn't hide unwanted apps any more in the Apps screens, nor could he remove apps from the home screens by pressing on them, waiting, then dragging them to the red trash can bar at the top of the screen.

Is he doing something wrong, or is this missing functionality that we will inherit with our D4s when they get ICS?

Gregg Hill

I have a razr as well and can say that this is not normal behavior. Sounds like a restart, followed by a cache wipe, if this doesn't help.

If neither of these help an FDR may well be in order.

Many people did a FDR right before or after the ICS update, and felt it improved battery life and general function.

Ask him to log into the Razr forum for help with these issues... Cool

• grandsport
      greggmh123 said:

Gregg Hill

Instead of hiding apps as before, you can hide them by disabling them altogether. As far as the trash can goes, that is gone. However, you still do the same thing (hold icon, drag to top of screen), but instead of a trash can, you get this X Remove. Does the same thing as before.

As @JBass indicated, have them check out the Droid Razr/Razr Maxx forum for answers to all kinds of issues.

• Macmuchmore

Seriously - end of month one of Q3 and ICS for D4 is still in Development.  I may be just a whiner, but I do not understand what is taking so long, especially with the ICS release for the other Droids.  The phones are almost the same... Why should it take months and months to get it in the D4?  I guess I was hoping on an early Q3 release... but I guess we will get it on the last day of Q3 - if we are lucky.

• ohaness

What I believe has happened is that the Razr/Razr Maxx ICS did not go as well as expected, with a reported update due in mid-August to fix.  The Droid Bionic was to be next ("early 3rd Quarter 2012" vs Droid 4 's "3rd Quarter 2012")  that may coincide with the Razr update. They obviously want any fix to be in the Droid 4 ICS update. Makes sense, but the delay is not making me happy for one who wants their Droid 4 to be Global like promised.

• DansDroid
      ohaness said:

What I believe has happened is that the Razr/Razr Maxx ICS did not go as well as expected, with a reported update due in mid-August to fix.  The Droid Bionic was to be next ("early 3rd Quarter 2012" vs Droid 4 's "3rd Quarter 2012")  that may coincide with the Razr update. They obviously want any fix to be in the Droid 4 ICS update. Makes sense, but the delay is not making me happy for one who wants their Droid 4 to be Global like promised.

Your observations are sound and that may indeed be what is happening.  None of us on the forums know for sure.  I personally would rather it be sooner than later, but not at the expense of a compromised update.  That said, I encourage all of us to be patient, I am certain it will well be worth the wait and the expertise gained from other ICS releases hopefully will be included in the release to the Droid 4.   --- Dan

• JBass
      DansDroid said:
      ohaness said:

Your observations are sound and that may indeed be what is happening.  None of us on the forums know for sure. 

I personally would rather it be sooner than later, but not at the expense of a compromised update

That said, I encourage all of us to be patient, I am certain it will well be worth the wait and the expertise gained from other ICS releases hopefully will be included in the release to the Droid 4.   --- Dan

I can say that overall the ICS upgrade for the Razr has been a success.

However, there are enough issues with it, that an update to the upgrade is expected  soon.

One can safely assume that these changes will be folded into the D4 version of ICS before it is released in the coming month(s)...

• Matt (Forums Manager)

While you are all waiting, I hope you have also checked into your profiles and made sure your Droid 4s and you are registered and opted-in for the Motorola Feedback Network.

Cool

• greggmh123

Well, I **finally** got logged into this site again, after the new MotoCastID login page rejected IE 9 multiple times, even in compatibility mode, telling me that my browser is not supported. I am logged in with Firefox 14 now. The login page just spins the Please Wait thing if I use IE 9.

So, I have been registered for a while, but there has been no word from your end about testing anything.

Did I waste my time registering?

Gregg Hill

• Macmuchmore
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

While you are all waiting, I hope you have also checked into your profiles and made sure your Droid 4s and you are registered and opted-in for the Motorola Feedback Network.

Cool

I logged into my profile, but I cannot see where to do this.  Could you provide some specific directions?  Thanks!

• Matt (Forums Manager)
      Macmuchmore said:
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Cool

I logged into my profile, but I cannot see where to do this.  Could you provide some specific directions?  Thanks!

If you click on your own username when logged in, it will open your profile. Right at the top, under "Tips" there are instructions and links (in red and bolded type) to guide you.

• BadgerKyle

Thanks for the tip, Matt -- I'm registered and ready to go :)  I hope hope hope hope that this will kick in before the end of the month ... My boss is going global and needs that functionality (one of the reasons I was able to convince him to get our office the D4 in the first place!)

;)