Question

mgrose53
    ATRIX 4G: Notifications/Status bar went missingAnswered
    Question posted April 15, 2012 by mgrose53Landline (10+ points) , last edited May 27, 2012 by Mark (Forums Manager)ÜBERXprt (12,000+ points)  , tagged 4.5.141.MB860.ATT.en.US, AT&T, ATRIX™ 4G with MOTOBLUR™
    12353 Views, 176 Comments
    Question Title:
    ATRIX 4G: Notifications/Status bar went missing
    Comment:

How do I reset to factory default

Best Answer

Mark (Forums Manager)

We're investigating what happened to your MOTOBLUR accounts. As I get more information I will provide it. Immediate action to improve your experience would be to create a new MOTOBLUR account. 

There are apps in Android Market that help you back up call logs, text messages and other information not restored by your Google account or other cloud accounts. Content on SD card does not need to be backed up provided you do not clear those storages spaced during Factory Data Reset(Settings > Privacy > Factory Data Reset). Prior to resetting your phone I suggest backing up your information. Please Note: Clearing your internal memory and SD card is not necessary. You can uncheck those boxes in the Factory Data Reset Menu).

When the phone comes up create a new MOTOBLUR account instead of choosing the Existing account and use a new email address as your MOTOBLUR ID.

For more information see my post here.

Mark
    Support Forums Manager 

Answer

• eaccents

I am a little confused by your post: 

Question title say status bar, but question content asks "How do I reset to factory default."  Does this mean you want to factory reset the device or just the status bar?

This is the D4 help page that gives instructions for a factory data reset (FDR).  When going for a total wipe of your device, we usually recommend using the external key method...

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/prod_answer_detail/a_id/76044/p/30%2C6720%2C8302/kw/factory%20reset

If you are seeking to FDR only the status bar, what exactly are you trying to get rid of?

• mgrose53

Well I have an Atrix 4G but on the Motorola web site the 4 Droid is all that it will let me list my phone as so that clear (I hope) is this.  I lost my status bar on my phone for some reason, (the bar at the top that gives me the info i.e. battery, signal, bluetooth on, etc and also it tells me when I have a text message or missed call etc.  I have removed the battery several times and rebooted the phone back up and the status bar is there but if I touch anything on the screen i.e. anser the phone, look at text etc it disappears again.  So I went to the web site and sent an e-mail to support since I still have warranty on my phone, and they said after the fourth e-mail all I could do is do a factory default on my phone.  THey did say I would lose everything but since I have not had the phone too long I can get my contacts back etc and that is all I want really.  I can get all the apps and everything back.  It is just frustrating going through all this for the phone just to work right.  This is the fourth "different" problem I have had with this phone and here where I live to gt a question answered at the phone center consist of waiting for three hours then them telling me to contact Motorola support because the do not know how to fix the problem.  I'll tell you this, it really surprises me that Motorola is doing this because I worked for them for almost 10 years and there is no way at that time we would have treated a customer this way.  If they could not fix the phone they would have replaced it then resold the other as refurbished.  I am very disappointed as I said and sad that Quality and customer satisfaction is not their first objective any longer. 

• eaccents
      mgrose53 said:

Well I have an Atrix 4G but on the Motorola web site the 4 Droid is all that it will let me list my phone as so that clear (I hope) is this.  I lost my status bar on my phone for some reason, (the bar at the top that gives me the info i.e. battery, signal, bluetooth on, etc and also it tells me when I have a text message or missed call etc.  I have removed the battery several times and rebooted the phone back up and the status bar is there but if I touch anything on the screen i.e. anser the phone, look at text etc it disappears again.  So I went to the web site and sent an e-mail to support since I still have warranty on my phone, and they said after the fourth e-mail all I could do is do a factory default on my phone.  THey did say I would lose everything but since I have not had the phone too long I can get my contacts back etc and that is all I want really.  I can get all the apps and everything back.  It is just frustrating going through all this for the phone just to work right.  This is the fourth "different" problem I have had with this phone and here where I live to gt a question answered at the phone center consist of waiting for three hours then them telling me to contact Motorola support because the do not know how to fix the problem.  I'll tell you this, it really surprises me that Motorola is doing this because I worked for them for almost 10 years and there is no way at that time we would have treated a customer this way.  If they could not fix the phone they would have replaced it then resold the other as refurbished.  I am very disappointed as I said and sad that Quality and customer satisfaction is not their first objective any longer. 

OK.  

So you have an Atrix 4G where the status bar appears after a reboot but if you do anything with the phone the status bar disappears.  Is this right?

Does this happen when you use the Atrix in Safe Mode?

• Power down.  Wait a minute.
      • Power the phone up.
      • When you see the Motorola Logo during power up, press and hold both volume buttons until you see the home screen
      • Your screen will show Safe Mode in the lower left corner.
      • Note:  You can get out of Safe Mode by just powering down, then power up normally.
    • Itsallgood

If you have a third party home launcher like ADW Launcher, Go Launcher, etc., you might have the "Hide Status Bar" checked off. Uncheck this and it should work. 

• mgrose53

I do not have a third party home launcher itsallgood, not that I know of anyway and I did try the safemode method and the status bar stayed for about 30 minutes then it was gone again.  Eaccents I am not trying to get "rid" of anything I am trying to get my status bar back. 

• eaccents
      mgrose53 said:

I do not have a third party home launcher itsallgood, not that I know of anyway and I did try the safemode method and the status bar stayed for about 30 minutes then it was gone again.  Eaccents I am not trying to get "rid" of anything I am trying to get my status bar back. 

So no alternate launcher app....and you want to get your status bar back (after it disappears).  Got it.

Does your status bar remain hidden if you rotate your device?

• stever1407

Settings, Privacy, Factory reset but be aware this will not fix your problem if it's the same as I'm seeing. I'm now expecting my 3rd replacement ATRIX from ATT due to lost status bar and other issues. When the phone is in standby and an email is received the status bar is gone when activated. Only way to get bar back is power off and back on. If I receive an incoming phone call after receiving an email in standby the phone will not allow me to answer as it won't show the incoming call and allow unlock with swipe. I hung up on my wife 3 times today. I use the universal messaging icon often and have had all icons "disappear" once anything is received which requires a power off and on to fix. I've had the ATRIX since 5 May last year (2011) with no problems till 3 weeks ago. I don't believe the 3rd replacement will work either. I just looked at it while it's charging and note that an email had been received and my status bar is gone again. This has to be an OS issue from either Motorola or ATT. I can't believe that 4 handsets doing the same thing is hardware. Hope this helps cause I'm VERY frustrated as the same broke issue keeps being sent as replacement.

• gqmoto

I am having the same problem with status bar. I had another new Atrix 4g at home tried it same problem with that one

Gary

• gqmoto

Also noticed that now Corporate Sync mail does not show up in message widget

• mgrose53

To eaccents yes it is still gone when I rotate the screens.  I can not believe that so many are having the same problem even with new phones.  It has to be something with the software they just sent out for the updates right?  I have had no trouble until just lately and it seems to be after the new software update was out.  I do not want to have to go through what everyone else is going through so I guess I will just have to go with another type phone all together.  I had an Iphone and liked it alot but wanted to try something different and cheaper after ruining it with water,  but as they say I guess you get what you pay for right?  I am really surprised at Motorola that is for sure.  Where I work we have hundreds of their handheld radios we use in our plant and have a bit of a problem but only with batteries so I am really surprised the phones are not better than they are. 

• eaccents
      mgrose53 said:

To eaccents yes it is still gone when I rotate the screens.  I can not believe that so many are having the same problem even with new phones.  It has to be something with the software they just sent out for the updates right?  I have had no trouble until just lately and it seems to be after the new software update was out.  I do not want to have to go through what everyone else is going through so I guess I will just have to go with another type phone all together.  I had an Iphone and liked it alot but wanted to try something different and cheaper after ruining it with water,  but as they say I guess you get what you pay for right?  I am really surprised at Motorola that is for sure.  Where I work we have hundreds of their handheld radios we use in our plant and have a bit of a problem but only with batteries so I am really surprised the phones are not better than they are. 

Uh oh.  Is there another thread with more users indicating problems with their notification bar?

I've only tracked 3 users who have posted thus far with this issue...did I miss more?  

• Mark (Forums Manager)

Can someone post a picture of their homescreen? Also can you download something like App Dragon or  the equivalent and post a list of installed apps?

Mark
      Support Forums Manager

• mgrose53

Mark I would but dont know how and I dont want to download something I know nothing about.

• Mark (Forums Manager)
      mgrose53 said:

Mark I would but dont know how and I dont want to download something I know nothing about.

Do you have a digital camera that has Macro Mode? If so Snap a picture and then upload it here.

I have used App Dragon. There are other apps if you don't prefer that one.

MarK
      Support Forums Manager

• stever1407

Mark, I will try to capture a photo of the homescreen without the status bar. I am currently using the first replacement while the third is being shipped. I received the second replacement yesterday and used from noon through the end of the day. Once I logged into Motoblur at with the second all my email settings returned but I DID NOT download any apps so it was used with the stock apps it came with. I received an email from my daughter at about 1230 PM on my Yahoo account while the phone was in standby. I activated it with the power button and the status bar was gone. I opened the universal messageing folder and could access the email from there but the icons were all missing although the words for each account were visible. I used the second replacement till I returned home from work and called ATT again to report a repeat of the same problems with both my first phone and first replacement. I am retuning the second replacement as the first has all the apps I use reloaded. I've also noticed today that while I was updating my calendar the staus bar just disappeared. Attached is was taken about 5 mins ago. Even the led won't flash once the status bar is gone. I'm sure the 3rd replacement will be doing the same thing. This is getting very frustrating having to turn the phone off and on several times a day. I'm trying to provide as much good information as I can so hope this helps. Steve