DROID RAZR M by Motorola

Verizon Wireless

Question

SoCalT
    phone only supports class 4 microsd
    Question posted September 26, 2012 by SoCalTTwo-Way Pager (40+ points) , last edited September 28, 2012
    3675 Views, 18 Comments
    Question Title:
    phone only supports class 4 microsd
    Comment:

Much to my dismay, I purchased a class 10 microsd thinking this phone was the latetest and greatest so should the memory.

Wrong.... ended up calling motorola and class 4 recommended class.

Live and learn

Answer

• fletch33

click here for a 16GB brand name SanDisk class4 (plenty speed for phones) for $9.95 including shipping :)

• fletch33

if you dont care about brand name then about $6 more dollars will double your memory to 32GB for only $20.68 shipping included over here

• SoCalT

yes I found class 4 for a lot less...

just makes sense to me to use a class 10...

idk...

• jonl9

Hmm...I just ordered a 16GB class 20 San Disk from BHPhoto in NY for $18.  I would have thought that card speed is indeed important, but what is needed for these things??  I'll tell you, I really like clicky response.

Jon

• DansDroid
      jonl9 said:

Hmm...I just ordered a 16GB class 20 San Disk from BHPhoto in NY for $18.  I would have thought that card speed is indeed important, but what is needed for these things??  I'll tell you, I really like clicky response.

Jon

View original

Hi Jon.  I have never seen a class 20 microSDHC card before.  All SD (HC) cards now have a number on it for the speed.

Older cards used to have 16x, 33x, 100x, etc... while SD-HC have a 2,4,6,8,10 rating on it directly.   --- Dan

EDIT:  Perhaps that 20 represents 20MB/second data transfer rate, such as we see in this Amazon advertisement.

• jonl9

Oops, Dan, I've never seen a class 20 either, you are quite correct.  FINGER CHECK!

Class 10 is what it should have been, but again, what does the RAZR M really work best with and when have we overbought memory, if we have?

Jon

• DansDroid
      jonl9 said:

Oops, Dan, I've never seen a class 20 either, you are quite correct.  FINGER CHECK!

Class 10 is what it should have been, but again, what does the RAZR M really work best with and when have we overbought memory, if we have?

Jon

View original

Hi Jon.  I've made many typos myself...not a problem!  A high speed microSDHC or microSDXC card should be as fast as you can afford, it that happens to be a class 10, so much the better.  This is particularly true if you have 1080p videos stored on your microSDxx card for playback (or even recording, for that matter).  Not all class 10 cards are equal...I have found SanDisk cards to meet or generally significantly exceed the minimum required speeds for their class ratings and they have one of the best warranties in the industry.  Others may take issue, but my personal idea is you can never have enough RAM or external storage.     --- Dan

• michaelk

see this thread- some class 10 work just fine:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e25e57fac0

moto only "tested" up to certain specs so that's probably what support "recomends" - real world at least some work fine.

Also - no expert but isn't the deal with SD cards that the speed is always downward compatible? (Size and format maybe not but speed)

what brand was the card you tried that didn't work? Perhaps that would be most helpfull to share so people know not to buy those. 

I think we'd need some sort of a test app to check the read write speeds to saw for sure what class the phone actually is topping out at? 

• DansDroid
      michaelk said:

see this thread- some class 10 work just fine:

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/e25e57fac0

moto only "tested" up to certain specs so that's probably what support "recomends" - real world at least some work fine.

Also - no expert but isn't the deal with SD cards that the speed is always downward compatible? (Size and format maybe not but speed)

what brand was the card you tried that didn't work? Perhaps that would be most helpfull to share so people know not to buy those. 

I think we'd need some sort of a test app to check the read write speeds to saw for sure what class the phone actually is topping out at? 

View original

"AnTuTu" on the Play Store for free does a comprehensive series of tests on our phones as well as speed tests of the external microSDHC/microSDXC cards.   --- Dan

• mgerbasio

I thought I saw a thread about this, maybe is was the RAZR MAXX forum, where Matt said the phone will use Class 10 speed for video recording. Otherwise, data transfer was Class 4 speed.

• michaelk

if I'm reading AnTuTu and wiki correctly the M is well more than class 10.

SD Card Write 14.1 MB/s

SD Card Read 27.2 MB/S

So i think the thread title should be changed to "Brand X card is not compatible" 

• DansDroid
      michaelk said:

if I'm reading AnTuTu and wiki correctly the M is well more than class 10.

SD Card Write 14.1 MB/s

SD Card Read 27.2 MB/S

So i think the thread title should be changed to "Brand X card is not compatible" 

View original

The card ratings are for the minimum speed of the card, for example, a class 4 would be 4MB/sec minimum speed.  It's not unusual for SanDisk class 4 cards to have tested speeds that far exceed other manufacturer's class 6 cards.    --- Dan

• michaelk

yep- those numbers are from sandisk class 10 card- so those will do faster than just 10.

I guess there's not "class 12" or "class 14"? and 10 is the highest?

• DansDroid
      michaelk said:

yep- those numbers are from sandisk class 10 card- so those will do faster than just 10.

I guess there's not "class 12" or "class 14"? and 10 is the highest?

View original

I should have known it was a SanDisk smiley.  To the best of my knowledge the highest official data transfer rate for the microSDXC (or microSDHC) is currently a class 10.  With technology advancing the way it is, I don't expect that to remain static very long.    --- Dan

• dtr3030

i wonder if it even matters anyway. the video will only record at such a data rate that it will write to the card. i have a sony NEX-5N. it's rated and recommended for class 4. i got a class 10 anyway thinking that the burst rate would increase. in fact, the internal buffer runs out before it matters to have a faster class. so it's just wasted speed. i'm sure this is the same for the phone, or perhaps it would save you nano seconds when bursting a few MB at a time.