MOTO G / MOTO G 4G LTE 1st Gen

Exceptional phone. Exceptional price.

Discussion

Perk
    Camera locking up - "Camera Error"Answered
    Discussion posted December 16, 2013 by PerkPager (25+ points), last edited April 8, 2014 by Nicole_SummersATRIX 4G (3,000+ points) 
    12317 Views, 172 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Camera locking up - "Camera Error"
    Comment:

Has anyone experienced problems with the camera locking up?  I had that happen twice yesterday.  I powered off then back on and it seemed to resolve the problem.

• Hope you don't mind that I changed the title, since this is now the main "camera error" thread. Wanted it to be easy to find. - Matt

Best Answer

Matt (Forums Manager)

After more examination, we are no longer convinced that this is a 3rd party app conflict in every case. While app conflicts will cause this and should be explored, our team is digging in to see if there is something else going on in some of these cases. If we find that is the case, we'll distribute a fix in a future update.

We do know that some flashlight apps and some video conferencing apps can cause this, so removing those are a good place to start. However, we are working to eliminate the error under all conditions. Turning your phone off and back on will work as a short-term solution.

Appreciate any details folks can contribute.

UPDATED:  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had the camera error with Skype removed from the phone

If you do have Skype installed (even if you have never opened or used it), we now recommend that you:

1. Update to the latest version, 4.7.0.43514, released yesterday;
    2. Turn your phone off and then on again.

We don't consider this a final solution but we think it will help.

We are making progress -- hang in there!

Answer

• crystallet

Are you using the stock camera app?

And do you have any apps installed that use the camera that might be conflicting with the stock app?

• Perk
      Using stock app and no other camera apps installed.
    • AleksandarZ

Same problem here on 4.4.2 upgrade. It says "camera error" and I must to power off/on to get camera working...

I'm using only stock app.

• Nicole_Summers

Hey all,

Does clear cache and data in settings--> apps--> all--> camera help?

Does a reset help? I know that the reset is not a favorite, but funky issues like this can happen after an update.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Nicole

• AleksandarZ
      NIcole_Summers said:

Hey all,

Does clear cache and data in settings--> apps--> all--> camera help?

Does a reset help? I know that the reset is not a favorite, but funky issues like this can happen after an update.

Let me know!

Cheers,

Nicole

View original

Clear cache and data didn't solve the problem. What do you mean by reset? Factory reset?

• Pir4t3
      AleksandarZ said:

Same problem here on 4.4.2 upgrade. It says "camera error" and I must to power off/on to get camera working...

I'm using only stock app.

View original

i have the same problem .. i got FC always then i have to reboot :(

• Nicole_Summers

@Aleksandar: yes, a factory reset

• AleksandarZ

Ok. I am doing factory reset now. I'll report later.

• Irina_Bogdan

Same Error, nothing helped...neither the factory reset :(... Rebooting solves the problem for a few hours and then the "Camera Error" shows again....What is going on?

• Tiago_Raposo

Hi, mine also have that problem saying "camera error".
      But clear cache solved but it's the third time that append.
      I'm on 
      UK Retail with 4.4.2 stock.

• Irina_Bogdan
      Tiago_Raposo said:

Hi, mine also have that problem saying "camera error".
      But clear cache solved but it's the third time that append.
      I'm on 
      UK Retail with 4.4.2 stock.

View original

Me too. My phone 'til now had no problems..... 3 days ago it started with this problem...I saw some posts talking about some kind of hardware problem...I really do not understand what it could be, if I reboot my phone it works for few hours, then "dies" again...and then no cache or data  cleaning data helps at all and I have to reboot my phone again frown

• Matt (Forums Manager)

Often this happens when another app is using the camera for something and fails to fully release it. If you have a flashlight app installed, that's the first one I'd look at. 

Other problem apps are MessageMe and an older version of Google Goggles.

Second, try to Power cycle the device. This will clear out any resource locks on the camera hardware or reset the state of the camera.

Third, clear camera app by going to SETTINGS > APPS > tab to ALL > find CAMERA > FORCE CLOSE.

Please let us know if your problem persists.

• Pir4t3
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Often this happens when another app is using the camera for something and fails to fully release it. If you have a flashlight app installed, that's the first one I'd look at. 

Other problem apps are MessageMe and an older version of Google Goggles.

Second, try to Power cycle the device. This will clear out any resource locks on the camera hardware or reset the state of the camera.

Third, clear camera app by going to SETTINGS > APPS > tab to ALL > find CAMERA > FORCE CLOSE.

Please let us know if your problem persists.

View original

thank you dear for replying 

i have xpoesed .. and this apps has a flashlight app but it is not only me who has Xposed .. there are too many ppl who have Xposed and the camera is working normally :)

i'll try the solutions later but i didn't understand what Power cycle mean :)

Thanks again 

• Matt (Forums Manager)

Sorry. cool Powercycle just means to turn the phone off and back on again.

Now it's my turn -- what is Xposed?

• Pir4t3
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

Sorry. cool Powercycle just means to turn the phone off and back on again.

Now it's my turn -- what is Xposed?

View original
      Thank you 
      Xposed is something that you need if you like mods and more options 
      needs root then you can download it and install it as an app 
      you can read more here 
      http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1574401