MOTO G / MOTO G 4G LTE 1st Gen

Exceptional phone. Exceptional price.

Discussion

    Perk
    Camera locking up - "Camera Error"Answered
    Discussion posted December 16, 2013 by PerkPager (25+ points), last edited April 8, 2014 by Nicole_SummersATRIX 4G (3,000+ points) 
    13021 Views, 174 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Camera locking up - "Camera Error"
    Comment:

    Has anyone experienced problems with the camera locking up?  I had that happen twice yesterday.  I powered off then back on and it seemed to resolve the problem.

    • Hope you don't mind that I changed the title, since this is now the main "camera error" thread. Wanted it to be easy to find. - Matt

    Best Answer

    Matt (Forums Manager)

    After more examination, we are no longer convinced that this is a 3rd party app conflict in every case. While app conflicts will cause this and should be explored, our team is digging in to see if there is something else going on in some of these cases. If we find that is the case, we'll distribute a fix in a future update.

    We do know that some flashlight apps and some video conferencing apps can cause this, so removing those are a good place to start. However, we are working to eliminate the error under all conditions. Turning your phone off and back on will work as a short-term solution.

    Appreciate any details folks can contribute.

    ************************************

    UPDATED:  I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has had the camera error with Skype removed from the phone

    If you do have Skype installed (even if you have never opened or used it), we now recommend that you:

    1. Update to the latest version, 4.7.0.43514, released yesterday;
    2. Turn your phone off and then on again.

    We don't consider this a final solution but we think it will help.

    We are making progress -- hang in there!

    Answer

    • chats

      I've got 2 moto g's, both 8GB dual-sim versions.

      They've got the same apps installed, but one doesn't have any problems with the camera, and the other does.

      So, I don't think it's a 3rd party app causing the problem.

    • timasharda

      same problem here also.  "camera error" and I must to power off/on to get camera working... no solution yet

    • dgmg412
      profile_mask2.png

      Hi folks

      This email arrived with me today........

      From: Nicole Summers (Motorola)    09:39 (1 hour ago)

      ........sorry for the delay in answering you........... you have sent me a [bug] report ........  Much appreciated!

      The camera noise is normal and happens when focussing/ defocussing the lens.

      Yes, the underlying bug is a Kitkat bug and certain apps such as Skype trigger it (but don't have to)......

      Nicole

      dg

    • Shaikh123

      I am facing the same issue "Camera error" on opening of Default camera app on my Moto G. It started only after 4.4.2 update,

      Please moto guys fix this ASAP,

      It's really annoying

    • Chiche1975
      Hey guys! I have the same problem on my MotoG in Argentina. Yesterday I uninstalled skype, then I'll tell you if it has been solved. 
       
      Thank you!
    • Mayank

      I figured a very simple solution to this problem and that is just make sure you select FLASH to remain always open in camera app instead of AUTO. It worked for me and now camera works fine.

    • Shaikh123
      Mayank said:

      I figured a very simple solution to this problem and that is just make sure you select FLASH to remain always open in camera app instead of AUTO. It worked for me and now camera works fine.

      View original
      I tried same, but still same problem exist. It solved only by restarting of phone, then after some time it again start showing error "camera error"sad

       

    • Chiche1975
      You have skype installed?
       
      Shaikh123 said:
      Mayank said:

      I figured a very simple solution to this problem and that is just make sure you select FLASH to remain always open in camera app instead of AUTO. It worked for me and now camera works fine.

      View original
      I tried same, but still same problem exist. It solved only by restarting of phone, then after some time it again start showing error "camera error"sad

       

      View original

       

    • Tejasvi

      I am too getting the same error . Nearly a week ago i have purchased moto g and  this error  is coming which is too irritating . I  have to reboot the phone again and again please fix this problem.

    • nil
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

      Often this happens when another app is using the camera for something and fails to fully release it. If you have a flashlight app installed, that's the first one I'd look at. 

      Other problem apps are MessageMe and an older version of Google Goggles.

       

      Second, try to Power cycle the device. This will clear out any resource locks on the camera hardware or reset the state of the camera.

      Third, clear camera app by going to SETTINGS > APPS > tab to ALL > find CAMERA > FORCE CLOSE.

      Please let us know if your problem persists.

       

      dear matt, i m also facing same camera issues, why dont motorola release a flashlight software as everyone needs it. and wat u mean by third party other than google play store or other than motorola ???

      View original

      kkkk

    • dgmg412
      Problem is in KitKat, so any other "solutions" will generally be some form
      of off/on cycle either of the phone or the app that triggered the KitKat
      glitch.
      
    • Matt (Forums Manager)
      nil said:
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

      Often this happens when another app is using the camera for something and fails to fully release it. If you have a flashlight app installed, that's the first one I'd look at. 

      Other problem apps are MessageMe and an older version of Google Goggles.

       

      Second, try to Power cycle the device. This will clear out any resource locks on the camera hardware or reset the state of the camera.

      Third, clear camera app by going to SETTINGS > APPS > tab to ALL > find CAMERA > FORCE CLOSE.

      Please let us know if your problem persists.

       

      dear matt, i m also facing same camera issues, why dont motorola release a flashlight software as everyone needs it. and wat u mean by third party other than google play store or other than motorola ???

      View original

      kkkk

      View original

      We'd prefer to make sure regular flashlight apps work on our phones. And there are other sources -- amazon for one.

    • TKO

      Okay, long story short - I have the same issues with my phone ever since the last update/"bugfix".

      I don't use any kind of flashlight app, but several apps which do allow to create imagery, like Facebook, WhatsApp, Skype. Even though I can't tell for each and every other application on the market, I would actually believe that it hardly ever is due to poor app development that the error occurs.

      Obviously, once the error turns up (and the original camera app closes), trying to start a different camera app doesn't make much sense since the cam driver reports back that the physical device is in use, hence the connection is refused and the exception/error is reported.

      Now it is not exactly a brand new phenomenon that people would use 3rd party apps to take pictures (take picture vs. select and upload), which is why I have a hard time accepting such a bug. Constantly turning on and off the phone is working fine, with or without clearing the cache, but - seriously? That is the best idea anyone comes up with?

      A reasonable workaround, which has for me turned out to provide for a somewhat stable operation of the phone, is to take pictures with the stock camera app only, and then use the share/upload function in the respective chat application.

      Did the engineers already dig down to the original issue? How about catching the exception thrown by the driver software, and implementing something like a kill signal that would end the process causing the driver to lock/the cam to cease operation? That would also make up for some poor sw development of 3rd party apps, in those cases where that is the rootcause of the issue.

      TKO

       

    • Bishop

      The same problem, waiting for an update. Hope it soon crying

    • Shaikh123
      Yes skype installed on my phone
       
      Chiche1975 said:
      You have skype installed?
       
      Shaikh123 said:
      Mayank said:

      I figured a very simple solution to this problem and that is just make sure you select FLASH to remain always open in camera app instead of AUTO. It worked for me and now camera works fine.

      View original
      I tried same, but still same problem exist. It solved only by restarting of phone, then after some time it again start showing error "camera error"sad

       

      View original

       

      View original