Moto X Community

Designed by you, responds to you and made for you.

Discussion

JBass
    X phone News, Rumors & ReviewsAnswered
    Discussion posted February 2, 2013 by JBassRAZR (7,000+ points) , last edited August 22, 2013 , tagged DROID by Motorola, DROID RAZR by Motorola, Droid RAZR HD and RAZR MAXX HD by Motorola, Droid RAZR M by Motorola, DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola, Rogers Canada, Sprint, T-Mobile, US Cellular, Verizon, Verizon Wireless
    9437 Views, 1162 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    X phone News, Rumors & Reviews
    Comment:

After much speculation about the mysterious  X phone, motorola makes it official:

http://tech2.in.com/news/smartphones/x-phone-project-gets-serious-as-motorola-hunts-for-product-director/731892

Time to update your resumes... wink

Of course this also means that the arrival the of X phone can't be coming soon... frown

Best Answer

joelbon
    JBass said:
    DansDroid said:
    JBass said:

Looks like the May release of the X-phone may be real after all... surprise

That would work for me... yes

http://www.droidrzr.com/index.php/topic/9709-motorola-x-dates-confirmed/

View original

I wonder how many aluminum cans and pop bottles I can gather up this time to help defray the cost of the X.    --- Dan

View original

Without the usual upgrade discount, it is going to take more than a few bottles or cans to buy this new toy...crying

But, I think I need this phone in order to be happy... wink

View original

I think it is more like survival. I need it to survive. he he he

Answer

• Swoops
      Dennis Woodside has officially confirmed the "Moto X' AKA X phone. Moto publicly responded to inquiries and said it would launch this summer. I think the devices that went through the FCC are the real McCoy. As far as the rumours about the other internals, CPU, RAM, etc... I don't those have been accurate. In the end of the interview Dennis Woodside is answering questions and he mentions having two processors in the phone to keep phone in a constant aware state and sleeping as well, to reduce battery consumption. I think this one might be unique enough to wait a few months for. If it doesn't pan out you will still have your pick from most of Sammy 2013 line and probably apple by then too.
    • LSS

The plant already exists.

http://www.engadget.com/2013/05/29/motorola-chief-mentions-moto-x/

"It'll be the first Motorola smartphone built in the United States. It'll be built in Texas -- we'll employ around 2,000 people. It's right outside of Fort Worth in a 500,000 square foot facility that was previously used to build Nokia phones."

• crystallet
      JBass said:
      joelbon said:

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-be-lead-device-new-motorola?utm_source=feedly Here is another article about the Xfon. I also read that it will be released before October. Sometime during the summer. I am hoping for July maybe August. July sounds better though.

Here's a snippet of an article I read:

Responding to an initial round of questions about the hero handset, Woodside responded with a few details: “It is going to be broadly distributed. There are a couple things we’re going to be doing differently … Motorola has always been good at managing ultra-low power sensors, such as the gyroscope and the accelerometer, and keeping those on all the time so the device knows different use states. The [Moto X] knows when it is in my pocket, it knows when I take it out of my pocket. I might want to do something, I might want to take a picture, so it fires up the camera.”

That doesn’t mean the handset will always fire up the camera when removed from a pocket, Woodside clarified, just that it will instead be aware of what the user wants to do based on the context around it, and based on that awareness will take action to facilitate that desire. To move from the camera example and provide a different idea of what the sensors and contextual awareness will do,
      Woodside said: “Imagine when in the car, the device will know it is going 60MPH and it is going to act differently so you can interact with it safely.
      Those are the kinds of things we’re doing with fundamental technology.”

View original

I fear our phones are going to be like my Toyota GPS, which prevents me or even my passenger from entering a new destination without stopping.

I hope that we will continue to have some (full?) control over our phones without any nanny state interventions (climbs down from his soapbox)!

I still suspect that the moto phones recently outed by the FCC filings are not the X phone, as it appears to be delayed well into summer.

Also, until the new plant is built in the US, the X-phone can't be built in the US, as promised.

Still, all very interesting news!

View original

Not even an address book/previously stored destination?

• Swoops
      It will probably just make you have to be hands free. It will turn on voice recognition. It will be a function you can turn off. Imagine how annoying that would be if you were the passenger and you couldn't access your phone.
    • JBass
      crystallet said:
      JBass said:
      joelbon said:

http://www.androidcentral.com/motorola-x-be-lead-device-new-motorola?utm_source=feedly Here is another article about the Xfon. I also read that it will be released before October. Sometime during the summer. I am hoping for July maybe August. July sounds better though.

Responding to an initial round of questions about the hero handset, Woodside responded with a few details: “It is going to be broadly distributed. There are a couple things we’re going to be doing differently … Motorola has always been good at managing ultra-low power sensors, such as the gyroscope and the accelerometer, and keeping those on all the time so the device knows different use states. The [Moto X] knows when it is in my pocket, it knows when I take it out of my pocket. I might want to do something, I might want to take a picture, so it fires up the camera.”

That doesn’t mean the handset will always fire up the camera when removed from a pocket, Woodside clarified, just that it will instead be aware of what the user wants to do based on the context around it, and based on that awareness will take action to facilitate that desire. To move from the camera example and provide a different idea of what the sensors and contextual awareness will do,
      Woodside said: “Imagine when in the car, the device will know it is going 60MPH and it is going to act differently so you can interact with it safely.

View original

I fear our phones are going to be like my Toyota GPS, which prevents me or even my passenger from entering a new destination without stopping.

I hope that we will continue to have some (full?) control over our phones without any nanny state interventions (climbs down from his soapbox)!

I still suspect that the moto phones recently outed by the FCC filings are not the X phone, as it appears to be delayed well into summer.

Also, until the new plant is built in the US, the X-phone can't be built in the US, as promised.

View original

View original

Address book yes,

A limited number of previous destinations, yes

New or revised, No

• crystallet
      JBass said:
      crystallet said:
      JBass said:
      joelbon said:

View original

View original

View original

Address book yes,

A limited number of previous destinations, yes

New or revised, No

View original

That's the way mine works, too. Guess we can't be trusted not to be stupid.

• Matt (Forums Manager)

You can change your destination en route now using voice and Google Now.

• JBass
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:

You can change your destination en route now using voice and Google Now.

View original

Matt,

That is exactly what I do.

I simply voice search the address and then switch to the bluetooth audio in my car.

The map is displayed on my phone in the car dock and the audio comes out of my car stereo.

As google maps data is updated much more often (and currently at no cost), it tends to be more accurate as well... yes

Here's hoping they don't change our ability do this when our phones know we are doing "60 miles an hour"...

View original

That's the way mine works, too.
      Guess we can't be trusted not to be stupid.

Crystallet,

When I see the news (and drive our freeways), I can increasingly understand why the government and insurance companies hold us in such low esteem...

• Swoops
      The other cool thing about that FCC filing is the inclusion of band 4. I am pretty sure that is Verizon's AWS band that is slated to start rolling out in July. It will be interesting to see if we will get substantial down/upload increases.
    • JBass
      Swoops said:
      The other cool thing about that FCC filing is the inclusion of band 4.
      I am pretty sure that is Verizon's AWS band that is slated to start rolling out in July.
      It will be interesting to see if we will get substantial down/upload increases.View original

AWS:
      http://blog.laptopmag.com/verizon-devices-support-aws

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/28/verizons-galaxy-s4-will-be-the-first-device-to-operate-on-the-carriers-aws-lte-bands/

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=99&p=1496

• iambc1
      JBass said:
      Swoops said:
      The other cool thing about that FCC filing is the inclusion of band 4.
      I am pretty sure that is Verizon's AWS band that is slated to start rolling out in July.
      It will be interesting to see if we will get substantial down/upload increases.View original

AWS:
      http://blog.laptopmag.com/verizon-devices-support-aws

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/28/verizons-galaxy-s4-will-be-the-first-device-to-operate-on-the-carriers-aws-lte-bands/

http://www.phonescoop.com/articles/article.php?a=99&p=1496

View original

From the filings:

Stereo Bluetooth
      Possible wireless charging 
      NFC (Near Field Communications)
      CDMA 800 / 1900 
      GSM 850 / 1900 / 900 / 2100
      WCDMA 850 / 1900 / 900 / 2100
      HSPA+
      LTE Band 13 Verizon, 4 AWS (doubles LTE speed)

Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
      Wifi 2.45Ghz Channels 1-11
      Wifi 5.2/5.8Ghz  channels 149-165 -- HI Speed!
      Metal case (not sure if entire phone or edges for wireless charging?)
      SNN5923A - 2200 mAH battery non-removable
    • JBass
      Stereo Bluetooth
      CDMA 800 / 1900 
      HSPA+

Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
      All of the other upgraded features/specs are great, but the third smaller battery is a real concern.
      Maybe the dual (seperate) processors aluded to in the announcement are really much more efficient at managinng power usage.
      After owning a Razr maxx and a Maxx HD, the prospect of a smaller battery seems like a real downgrade...
    • huff825
      JBass said:
      Stereo Bluetooth
      CDMA 800 / 1900 
      HSPA+

Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
      All of the other upgraded features/specs are great, but the third smaller battery is a real concern.
      Maybe the dual (seperate) processors aluded to in the announcement are really much more efficient at managinng power usage.
      After owning a Razr maxx and a Maxx HD, the prospect of a smaller battery seems like a real downgrade...
      View original

That was my first thought too.  I guess it is possible they can do everything with a smaller battery, but I doubt it.  No one wants the super phone if you have to be next to a power source 24/7.

• JBass
      huff825 said:
      JBass said:
      Stereo Bluetooth
      CDMA 800 / 1900 
      HSPA+

Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
      View original

That was my first thought too.  I guess it is possible they can do everything with a smaller battery, but I doubt it.  No one wants the super phone if you have to be next to a power source 24/7.

View original

I Ioved my Razr, but the battery life caused many to threaten class action suits and even demand a Maxx as a replacement.

Barring some amazing technological advancements, a smaller battery and a super phone would seem to be mutally exclusive...

• huff825
      JBass said:
      huff825 said:
      JBass said:
      Stereo Bluetooth
      CDMA 800 / 1900 
      HSPA+

Wifi 802.11 a/b/g/n/ac
      View original

View original

I Ioved my Razr, but the battery life caused many to threaten class action suits and even demand a Maxx as a replacement.

Barring some amazing technological advancements, a smaller battery and a super phone would seem to be mutally exclusive...

View original

Like sweet OR sour chicken.