MOTO G / MOTO G 4G LTE 1st Gen

Exceptional phone. Exceptional price.

Question

Enly1
    Post KitKat upgrade BUGs (Loss of signal etc)Answered
    Question posted January 20, 2014 by Enly1Two-Way Pager (40+ points), last edited April 9, 2014 by joelbonÜBERXprt (12,000+ points), tagged Moto G 
    106295 Views, 951 Comments
    Question Title:
    Post KitKat upgrade BUGs (Loss of signal etc)
    Comment:

This posting is a new placeholder for the comments relating to post kitkat upgrade problems originally posting incorrectly on another posting ('Loss of 3G network sig on Moto G' - https://forums.motorola.com/posts/c23d71e3d8?page=1

Initial Problem Summary:

Following KitKat upgrade, devices appear to show any of the following symptoms:

1. lose mobile signal
    2. display 'No Sim' icons,
    3. fall into Aeroplane mode (while not displaying Aeroplane Icon status)
    4. Mobile signal can often be recovered by swapping into and out of Aeroplane mode.
    5. Pop-up errors about being in Aeroplane mode while attempting to make calls during signal problems.
    6. Aeroplane mode observed in about phone status (while no aeroplane mode shown on icons)
    7.Popup errors - the process "com.android.phone" has stopped
    8. Not specific to individual SIM cards - multiple SIMs (cutdown/original confirmed as impacted)
    9. Suggestion that it only occurs with mobile data enabled - to be investigated.

Several forum members continue to observe the same issue and have contacted Motorola support independently.  This posting has been created to enable a collective view of progress and findings.

When contacting Motorola Support, please reference this posting for additional background and feedback.

---------------------

Motorola Req: To support this process, can you please supply the following information when posting:

Please make sure you all have the IMEI in your profile if it's not entered yet and please try to describe as exactly as possible when and what happened.

What happens exactly (please only describe, do not assume)?
    Do you have screenshots?
    What time was it when it happened?
    Which systemversion and build number do you have?
    Do you have logfiles (with alogcat)?
    Are you on 4.3 or 4.4?
    Did you have 3G only switched on?
    Did you factory reset the phone?
    Does it happen in safe mode as well?

Best Answer

Matt (Forums Manager)

Hi.

I want to make a change to the reporting here.

If you are having network/SIM issues and you are located in India, please come to this new thread.

If you are having issues on 4.4.2 and you are NOT in India, please continue to post here.

Thanks!

Answer

• amorph

Hi there!

Have the same bug too but only when data transfer is on. I lose mobile signal and then the phone says there's no sim in. This also make the dialer app to crash.

Didn't notice the airplane thing as I don't activate data's since then...

• amorph

The phone says : the process "com.android.phone" has stopped

• macster82

Thanks Enly1 for sorting this post out!

adding my info to register to the thread for updates etc

Currently experiencing the issue with dropping the connection, several times through the day i'm either getting the no sim icon, no network notification or the phone is forced into aeroplane mode without the aeroplane status icon. This has only occurred since the update from 4.3 to 4.4.2. I am experiencing the issue in two big cities in the UK (Glasgow and Liverpool) where there are no reported issues on the network. I am on Talkmobile which uses the Vodafone network in the UK. I am also using an original micro sim not a cut down.

I have tried a full factory reset which has not fixed the issue. 

Here's hoping for some answers!!!

Edit: i've also had the process "com.android.phone" has stopped aswell. I assumed it may have been down to the lack of connection at the time.

• Enly1
      amorph said:

Hi there!

Have the same bug too but only when data transfer is on. I lose mobile signal and then the phone says there's no sim in. This also make the dialer app to crash.

Didn't notice the airplane thing as I don't activate data's since then...

View original

Thats an interesting additional snippet - I didn't notice any issues for a while after the factory resets, but it was on Wifi all day - walked out of the building and it happened again - maybe co-incidence, maybe not ... one for further investigation.

Also, have had the Phone app die as well.

• amorph

Yep I'm pretty sure it has something to do with 3G as I don't have the problem since I don't activate it anymore, which is kinda boring anyway...

• Enly1

PS - when people get issues etc - icons not displaying etc - could they screenshot their issue and add to the thread (Power and Down Vol).

I'll go through and sort a load out tonight ( assuming its as unhappy as normal )

Pictures say 1000 words and all that ... and also handy to post off to support if we ever get asked for details.

• Darran

I'm using a Moto G with tesco kitkat 4.4 firmware (174.44.9.falcon_umts.TesoSL.en.GB), but unlocked and running with a brand new vodafone micro-SIM.

When I've noticed this happen, I've not attempted to make any calls so can't comment on dialler crashing.  I tried a manual network scan - which successfully identified my network, amongst others.  Selecting it following the manual scan, I was not presented with any errors (i.e. "access denied"), but continued to have no coverage.  Switched back to auto, still not working.  Then rebooted and bingo network came back.

I've not tried toggling aeroplane mode yet.  Will give that a give next time.

• Nicole_Summers

Hi Enly1, hi all,

Thanks for creating this post! I'll be reporting as you post.

Please make sure you all have the IMEI in your profile if it's not entered yet and please try to describe as exactly as possible when and what happened.

What happens exactly (please only describe, do not assume)?

Do you have screenshots?

What time was it when it happened?

Which systemversion and build number do you have?

Do you have logfiles (with alogcat)?

Are you on 4.3 or 4.4?

Did you have 3G only switched on?

Did you factory reset the phone?

Does it happen in safe mode as well?

Cheers,

Nicole

• Enly1

Hi Nicole -

I've been through the full testing cycle myself - so will answer the key questions to get us started:

1. Have factory reset - happened 30 seconds after power back up :-)
      2. Also occures in Safe mode
      3. Also occurs with different SIM in phone ( but doesn't follow SIM to another phone - i.e. 4.4.2 phone bad, 4.3 phone good regardless of SIM)
      4. Will need to start timeing again - had screenshots for diagnostics with timestamps, but that last factory reset blew them away -oops.
      5. I have 2 phones, one 4.3 (not yet upgraded - retail SIM FREE ) and a 4.4.2 Upgraded (retail SIM FREE) - only 4.4.2 phone impacted.
      6. Phone 100% perfect before upgrade - nightmare after  ( but only this issue remaining after factory resets )
      7. No logs - provide details of how to get them and I'll see what I can do.

Android Version 4.4.2
      System Version 174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en/GB
      Baseband Version: MSM8626BP_1032.340.63 DDR
      Kernel Version: 3.4.0-gc6fc9e1 (19th Dec)
      Build Number: KLB20.9-1.10-1.9
      IMEI etc in proile.

My Symptoms -

Phone goes from working to showing zero signal on indicator (sometimes no sim icon as well) - attempts to make calls either result in message saying something like take out of aeroplane mode before performing operation or phone app stopped.

Showing Settings indicator (swipe down and top right icon) shows no service on mobile, but aeroplane mode not enabled.
      Usually enabling and clearing aeroplane mode brings carrier back and H+ etc )

Will document in screen shots next time it happens.  At home it was very frequent but at work, hardly at all ( although always on charge at work, so may have an impact - perhaps power management related ? )

More details to follow in a structured way when I get home.

• GreyTrilby

Enly has described my symptoms perfectly, and I've done the exact same set of tests

IMEI is in my profile.

I've had to factory reset an install 4.3 again so I can actually use my phone, but will re-upgrade if it will help

• SimonLangan

Exactly the same symptoms as Enly1. All happened since upgrade to 4.4.2. Happens in 3G. Having to run it on 2G at the moment to make calls. Same in safe mode. Bought at Tesco but unlocked and used on Vodafone.

My phone will lose signal. Sometimes no sim icon appears.

If you try and make a call it says "turn off aeroplane mode" although it is not on. If you then turn aeroplane mode on and off you get the signal back, but not for long.

I have done a factory reset and deleted all 3rd party apps but still the same.

Android Version 4.4.2

System Version 174.44.9.falcon_umts.TescoSL.en.GB

Build Number KLB20.9-1.10-1.9

Sorry don't have screenshots and not sure what logfiles are. It happens sporadically. Could be at any time.

• amorph

So, it happens since the 4.4.2 upgrade and only when I turn the data transfer on.

As soon as I turn it on (3G) I loose the mobile signal and the "com.android.phone" crashes.

Sometimes the phone asks me to re-enter my sim code.

I'm on kitkat 4.4.2

System Version : 174.44.9.falcon_umts.Retail.en.FR

Baseband Version : MSM8626BP_1032.340.63.00R

Kernel Version : 3.4.0-gc6fc9e1

Build Number : KLB20.9-1.10-1.9

IMEI in my profile.

• Darran
      amorph said:

Sometimes the phone asks me to re-enter my sim code.

View original

Interesting ... I don't have a SIM card PIN lock set at the moment, just a lock-screen PIN

• Nicole_Summers

Thanks all,

Keep it coming!

Cheers,

Nicole

• macster82

managed to get a few screenshots when the issue happened again earlier. one shows an error msg that doesnt always pop up before it looses the connection, the other shows aeroplane mode is on but nothing in the notification bar.

not too familiar with the forum software so hope they upload ok.