DROID RAZR M by Motorola

Verizon Wireless

Discussion

Aviedo
    4g Network ConnectionAnswered
    Discussion posted September 7, 2012 by AviedoDynaTac (100+ points)  , tagged Droid RAZR M by Motorola
    3902 Views, 86 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    4g Network Connection
    Comment:

I put my Droid Razr sim into the M and activated it without incident but the M has not been able to hold a 4g signal for the past 2 1/2 hours that I have been setting up email accounts, downloading apps etc. I shut down the phone removed and reseated the sim and turned the M back and brought to the hard reset screen. I chose the option to reboot. After the reboot I briefly had a 4g signal and then it dropped to 3g again.

Using my Razr I never have a problem at home getting and keeping a 4g signal. Is anyone else having this problem?

Best Answer

mk1151

I just pulled up the FCC filings for the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and RAZR. The placement of the LTE antennas are completely different.

In the RAZR M, the antenna is on the top right of the unit, in the RAZR HD and RAZR it is on the bottom near the main antenna. The LTE antennas are also a different shape. This means that in fringe areas or weaker service zones for LTE, depending on the location of the tower in proximity to your head, hands, and body, it is entirely likely that the strength and frequency of LTE service will vary by phone.

You cannot compare them, and the physical design of the phone does make a difference. In a strong service area (NYC for example), LTE may be more readily available, as opposed to Long Island and New Jersey.

ETA: It is possible that an updated radio driver will make a difference, but it won't affect the phones reception of LTE service. It would only affect the stickiness, tolerance of minimal signal, and hysteresis algorithm for hopping between LTE and 3G.

Answer

• mgerbasio

I notice mine definately spends more time on 3G than my Razr Maxx.

• michaelk

mine also seems to get "less bars" of 4g then my 2 sons' RAZR's.  Frequently they have 4G service but my M is falling back to 3G.  This happens when we're all in my living room- so it's not the uncertainties of driving in a car or anything like that. 

• jjvzw

My phone as well has been experiencing this problem. But in my house more then anywhere else.

• mk1151

It may have a lot to do with where you live... the RAZR M is smaller that the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. It may have smaller/differently placed LTE antennas (or only one as opposed to two). I can't remember the layout... but with the more compact design it makes sense.

I cannot compare as this is my first Verizon phone, but it seems to be on par with or better than my AT&T LTE device in terms of where it is finding service.

• Aviedo
      mk1151 said:

It may have a lot to do with where you live... the RAZR M is smaller that the RAZR and RAZR MAXX. It may have smaller/differently placed LTE antennas (or only one as opposed to two). I can't remember the layout... but with the more compact design it makes sense.

I cannot compare as this is my first Verizon phone, but it seems to be on par with or better than my AT&T LTE device in terms of where it is finding service.

View original

I have to disagree. If a company designs a product to perform a certain function regardless of size or shape the item should be tested before release to be sure it indeed does what it is supposed to.

This problem exsisted for Bionic owners when the phone was released , I returned mine so I don't know if updates improved the problem, it also happened when the Droid Razr was released but subsequent updates improved the problem greatly. It would seem to me that the M should either have had an improved radio/antenna/etc or the software updates needed to get it to make and hold a 4G connection out of the box when in areas that have a strong 4G signal such as where I live.

This problem on yet another newly released phone will just create another group of angry Moto owners who expect their devices to work as advertised out of the box without having to wait for updates to rollout, especially when the it is a repeat problem that should have been solved before the release of another device.

When I put my Razr sim back into my Razr I got and kept a strong signal so we know the problem is not with my card but rather the phone.

• mk1151

I just pulled up the FCC filings for the RAZR M, RAZR HD, and RAZR. The placement of the LTE antennas are completely different.

In the RAZR M, the antenna is on the top right of the unit, in the RAZR HD and RAZR it is on the bottom near the main antenna. The LTE antennas are also a different shape. This means that in fringe areas or weaker service zones for LTE, depending on the location of the tower in proximity to your head, hands, and body, it is entirely likely that the strength and frequency of LTE service will vary by phone.

You cannot compare them, and the physical design of the phone does make a difference. In a strong service area (NYC for example), LTE may be more readily available, as opposed to Long Island and New Jersey.

ETA: It is possible that an updated radio driver will make a difference, but it won't affect the phones reception of LTE service. It would only affect the stickiness, tolerance of minimal signal, and hysteresis algorithm for hopping between LTE and 3G.

• Aviedo
      mk1151 said:

View original

My apoligies, I was not disagreeing with your theory but only that it sounded as if that was an acceptable excuse for the poor performance which it is not.

I love my Droid Razr with my only complaint being poor battery performance In my opinion the M does not hold a candle to my Razr and I guess that I along with many others expect the new latestest and greatest devices to outperform their predecessors.

• mgerbasio
      aviedo said:
      I love my Droid Razr with my only complaint being poor battery performance In my opinion the M does not hold a candle to my Razr and I guess that I along with many others expect the new latestest and greatest devices to outperform their predecessors.
      View original

I also really like the Razr Maxx but the battery performance isn't good on that phone either. For me, the M is an even better phone as I'd rather have the smaller form but I'm not holding much hope for the battery lasting the day.

• mk1151
      aviedo said:

My apoligies, I was not disagreeing with your theory but only that it sounded as if that was an acceptable excuse for the poor performance which it is not.

View original

No apologies needed cool for the purposes of the forum it made sense to talk about the antenna placement since that is relevant to signal. As to your point about design, yes, I do agree with you. The only defense I can offer is:

1) It is impossible to test every type of cell signal and possible interference, so without knowing more about your area and Verizon's LTE coverage in it, there's not more I can say.

2) Verizon is still building out their LTE infrastructure, so while I do believe there can be some tweaking and enhancements to the radio base software, the carriers still have a way to go before their networks are "full coverage" in a given market.

• michaelk
      mk1151 said:
      aviedo said:

View original

No apologies needed cool for the purposes of the forum it made sense to talk about the antenna placement since that is relevant to signal. As to your point about design, yes, I do agree with you. The only defense I can offer is:

1) It is impossible to test every type of cell signal and possible interference, so without knowing more about your area and Verizon's LTE coverage in it, there's not more I can say.

2) Verizon is still building out their LTE infrastructure, so while I do believe there can be some tweaking and enhancements to the radio base software, the carriers still have a way to go before their networks are "full coverage" in a given market.

View original

on #1 I assume they have software that models this sort of thing pretty well now a days. If you look at the Coverage Maps for instance they map to pretty precise sized pixels. That's totally different then what we're talking about but presumably since the computeing power and algorithms exist for maps a similar sort of thing exists for pretdicing antenna shapes and the like. Besides software, I've read about how verizon tests the stuffing out of their phones in a special chamber to be sure it's up to snuff- I'd have to venture that moto owns at least one of such chambers.  ;-)

I'm sure that one then needs to take the predictions and chamber tests and then confirm them in the real world. I'm not an rf engineer but seems you would want to spend a lot of time in fringe areas testing a new phone. If it didn't approximate the previous model then i'd make the choice to add a second antenna, or change the size, or whatever. What's the saying- Form Follows Function? Seems me MIGHT have the opposite here. 

EDIT: here's the moto link that they posted to bash the iphone with the death grip problem- pretty much describes the whole antenna design / testing process http://www.motorola.com/consumers/v/index.jsp?vgnextoid=19130e344651a210VgnVCM1000008406b00aRCRD

anyway- my 2 cents aside so now my question related to the topic at hand-

I'm new to a 4g phone on verzon- so I do notice that i travel from 3G to 4G (where i know from experience that the coverage is solid with full bars) - it takes some time for the phone to look for the 4g signal and go back to that. I completely understand that they dont want it constantly hunting for 4G while on 3G  as that would waste battery. But is there an app, a setting, something i can do to manually force it to scan for 4G?  I've tried settings/about/status/network types but when it's on 3G it just shows 1x and 3g and doesn't display 4g levels at that point.

• Matt (Forums Manager)
      aviedo said:
      mk1151 said:

View original

View original

aviedo, can you post your RAZR M HEX MEID in your profile? We want to take a closer look. Thanks.

• Aviedo

Matt,

I have gone back to using my Droid Razr as I am getting ready to leave for vacation and decided to stay with the phone I am most familiar with. Would you still like me to change my profile or would you rather I PM you the HEX MEID of the M?

• DansDroid
      aviedo said:

Matt,

I have gone back to using my Droid Razr as I am getting ready to leave for vacation and decided to stay with the phone I am most familiar with. Would you still like me to change my profile or would you rather I PM you the HEX MEID of the M?

View original

I am not *Matt, but as he is dealing with the introduction of the Droid Razr M currently, it might be best to PM him the information.   smiley   --- Dan

*Notice the lack of the 'Hammer of Thor' in my hand.

• Matt (Forums Manager)
      aviedo said:

Matt,

View original

You can send it via PM; I'd appreciate it. If you're not using it I'm not sure there will data to gather but it can't hurt!

• Matt (Forums Manager)
      michaelk

Tried to make this request before but didn't work: can I also get MEIDs from the others reporting this? mgerbasio, michaelk and jjvzw - thanks.