Discussion

fuzzy
    how to clear cache (bionic)
    Discussion posted July 8, 2012 by fuzzyStarTac (200+ points)  , tagged DROID BIONIC™ by Motorola
    12430 Views, 55 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    how to clear cache (bionic)
    Comment:

I was recently asked to post the steps on how to wipe the cache on the bionic. lets begin.

Step 1: power your bionic down

Step 2: hold volume up, down, and power simultaneously

Step 3: use the volume down to navigate to "recovery," use volume up to select

Step 4: you will get a screen with a triangle with an exclamation point, next to an Android. Press volume up and down simultaneously

Step 5: use the volume rocker to navigate to "wipe cache" and use the power button to select.

Step 6: after it has finished, use the volume rocker to navigate to "reboot system now" and use the power button to select.

Step 7: say "TA-DAA!"

Answer

• tominbristol

After Step 3, I have a white triangle with an exclamation point inside with Lloyd standing outside.

What next?

TIA

• fuzzy
      So I need to change that detail. Continue following the steps. that is what you should see. sorry about that.
    • Swoops
      Press on volume keys. Then a list will come up with wipe cache partition on the bottom. Toggle down by using volume. Select with power button
    • joelbon
      tominbristol said:

After Step 3, I have a white triangle with an exclamation point inside with Lloyd standing outside.

What next?

TIA

Push the volume +/- at the same time. Hope this helps.

• tominbristol

"TA-DAA!"

• huff825

Sorry to ask this, but what will this do for the Bionic versus an app that clears cache?  Sorry if this is dumb question, but I am not sure what the benefit of doing this is.

• joelbon
      huff825 said:

Sorry to ask this, but what will this do for the Bionic versus an app that clears cache?  Sorry if this is dumb question, but I am not sure what the benefit of doing this is.

Don't ever be sorry about asking. You don't know until you've been told.

An app that clears cache just clears the cache for apps. I haven't ever seen an app that is capable of clearing the System cache. That is what happens when you wipe cache partition in the Android system recovery. Hope this hels.

• huff825

Thanks joelbon. What are the benefits of doing this? I have had my Bionic since launch day and have never done it, just wondering what it does for you.

• fuzzy
      It helps restore boot speeds, and maintain quick CPU performance. It basically wipes unnecessary information, think of it like cleaning out your refrigerater. its not always necessary, but it make more room.
    • huff825

Thanks fuzzy. Appreciate the quick response.

• fuzzy
      anytime huff, that's why these forums are here. Always willing to help when I can.
    • highdesert
      fuzzy said:
      It helps restore boot speeds, and maintain quick CPU performance. It basically wipes unnecessary information, think of it like cleaning out your refrigerater. its not always necessary, but it make more room.

And no downside, I assume? 

• grandsport
      highdesert said:
      fuzzy said:

No downside. Clear mine at least 2-3 times a week.

• highdesert
      grandsport said:
      highdesert said:
      fuzzy said:

No downside. Clear mine at least 2-3 times a week.

OK, I did it...rebooting now...hoping that this will turn my Bionic experience from happy-and-satisfied to ecstaticLaughing

• tbone732000

I wiped the cache, hoping to see performance improvments. Will this help with Data loss issues? Blue/White