Discussion

captss
    Photon To get Jellybean or $100 credit
    Discussion posted September 5, 2012 by captssPager (25+ points) 
    7544 Views, 43 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Photon To get Jellybean or $100 credit
    Comment:

Motorola announced today phones released in 2011 or later will get the Jellybean upgrade or a $100 credit for a new phone.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/ci/documents/detail/2/motorola-jelly-bean-rebate_en-US

http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/09/05/motorola-promises-jelly-bean-updates-for-droid-razr-razr-maxx-droid-bionic-and-more/

Answer

• KOLIO

Here's hoping a list of devices to get JELLY BEAN will soon be coming.A very nice gesture from MOTOROLA,either way.Let's hope they'll take this to the next logical step,& decide to offer a bootlocker unlocking tool for older ANDROID phones.

• captss
      KOLIO said:

Here's hoping a list of devices to get JELLY BEAN will soon be coming.A very nice gesture from MOTOROLA,either way.Let's hope they'll take this to the next logical step,& decide to offer a bootlocker unlocking tool for older ANDROID phones.

One of the articles I read showed the Electrify as one of the phones getting Jelly Bean. I am on Sprint and have the Photon (same phone)....

so here's hoping!

• Jim_E

Wow, that is a pretty interesting new policy from Motorola.

I'll be happy to get ICS on my Photon 4G, but Jelly Bean would be even better!

I registered for their email updates.

• str8krazy

The $100 offer is nice but it would be much better if Motorola would bring the Razr (or better yet the MAXX) to Sprint....

• seamonster

It makes good business sense for Moto to support as few different OSes as possible, and it makes good business sense for Google to have devices running their latest OS which is smoother/faster/slicker than ICS.  So my hope is that we skip ICS and go right to JB in Q4.  Moto/Google showed with the Xoom that they could push JB out quickly and it runs great on my Xoom.  Fingers crossed!

• kevdt67

i'll believe it when i see it Undecided

• strato1sg

Couple questions: 1) Don't you have to have ICS before you can receive JB; not applicable if rooted, etc.

2) How long is this offer good for; 2012-?; most of us/our 2yr period will be up NET @July2013, eligible for upgrade possibly without early termination.

Way I read most of it said; either receive JB(no specifice date) OR $100.00 put towards another Moto phone.  Is this correct?

Look how long it is taking just to receive ICS.  Seems more logical for them to include the hundred dollars to put towards a new phone which most cost around 200.00 anyway, which is still cool with me; possibly paying around 100.00 of your own money for a new phone with upgrade eligibility included.  Definately a win/win situation so far.

• eaccents
      str8krazy said:

The $100 offer is nice but it would be much better if Motorola would bring the Razr (or better yet the MAXX) to Sprint....

+100!!!

• seamonster

kevdt67: I agree. I'll believe it when (if) I see it.  I wasn't predicting that would happen, just hoping.  And based on "some" logic, expressing that it would be a reasonable thing for Moto to do.  But by no means predicting...

strato1sg: I don't think there is any reason you must install ICS before JB.

And it seems that the Moto page referenced in the first post, now let's you sign up to be notified when JB news is available for your device.

• SturgeonGeneral
      seamonster said:

It makes good business sense for Moto to support as few different OSes as possible, and it makes good business sense for Google to have devices running their latest OS which is smoother/faster/slicker than ICS.  So my hope is that we skip ICS and go right to JB in Q4.  Moto/Google showed with the Xoom that they could push JB out quickly and it runs great on my Xoom.  Fingers crossed!

Regarding Q4, I'd say:  Keep on hoping.

I don't see how it is possible that if they are testing for ICS they could release JB instead.  If they switched midstream, I'd think that it would push the release date out - possibly into next year.  Wouldn't they necessarily have to start over at least part of the test and evaluation process?

Maybe we will find out what they decide when the next forecast list is released.

https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c

If there is another that indicates a JB schedule instead of ICS, I'd love to see it.

For the uninitiated:

ICS = (codename "Ice Cream Sandwich" for Android 4.0 Operating System)

JB = (codename "Jelly Bean" for Android 4.1 Operating System)

GB = (codename "Gingerbread" for Android 2.3.5 Operating System)  <-- what you have today

• Sen2012

Great find guys.  I knew Moto had it in them to surprise us.  My affinity toward our awesome American company has been refreshed.  Not only Keeping us up to date with the freshest Android version, but a bootloader unlocking tool to boot.  I love puns!

Here's to the best reception in the business and our very own homeland company.

Thanks Moto!

• Sen2012

It looks legit to me.  Photon 4G definitely falls into the 2011 category, and is certainly capable of running Jellybean in spades.

• Godface9
      If moto gets us jellybean there is no question of what phones i will be using from now on! Ive patiently been awaiting ics, but how excited i am hearing this news ...ohh boy: ). I have the mopho 4g and by far is the best phone ive ever had.thanks moto.cheers to a long and happy relationship between me and your many loyal users.moto all the way
    • jamieriddle19
      I was thinking about this while reading everyone's posts. At first ICS was showing Q3 2012, and then it got pushed back to Q4 2012, so maybe, just maybe, we will be fortunate enough that Motorola switched gears and started going after JB instead of ICS. If this is the case, I will not be unhappy about my decision to stick woth the MOPHO instead of switching to the MOPHO Q.
    • eaccents
      jamieriddle19 said:
      I was thinking about this while reading everyone's posts. At first ICS was showing Q3 2012, and then it got pushed back to Q4 2012, so maybe, just maybe, we will be fortunate enough that Motorola switched gears and started going after JB instead of ICS. If this is the case, I will not be unhappy about my decision to stick woth the MOPHO instead of switching to the MOPHO Q.View original

I have both the Q and the original Photon.  While I like what the MoPhoQ has in terms of hardware acceleration and software updates, I still like the original Photon's form factor better (although the Q is thinner than I had envisioned it....).  I think once the Photon gets its upgrade, you will be very happy :)