Question

rosatot
    Photon: Headphone Jack Not Working
    Question posted September 28, 2011 by rosatotTelegraph , last edited February 1, 2012
    9615 Views, 19 Comments
    Question Title:
    Photon: Headphone Jack Not Working
    Comment:

My headphone jack stopped working mysteriously after I updated my phone to Motorola's latest software.  Please see post by shawnsinclair - I am having same problem. I have tried restarting phone multiple times, tried various sets of headphones, brought it into Sprint store for troubleshooting, taken out battery for longer than 5 minutes, etc.  I am very dissapointed that Motorola has said they will not send me another phone while investigating the problem with this one.  Given the product failure and Motorola's poor customer service, I am very dissapointed.

Answer

• tlaz

I had a jack go bad on my first Photon, and lucklily was within the 30 day window, so they gave me a new phone. If you're still in your 30 day window, they will do that.  If not, has the Sprint store offered to replace the jack?  It's fairly simple, as I understand it.  They should at least offer to do that.

Had similar experience with a Pre, and I've come to the conclusion that lots of phones have these jacks go bad.  More a hardware thing than software, in my experience.  I have now gone Bluetooth 100 percent - either use my car system or a BT dongle with stereo/audio so as not to have to mess with the jack.  I think they more you use them, the more likely it is they will go bad. 

Good luck.

• rosatot

Thanks for response! I am unfortunatley not in 30-day window and will return phone now, pay $35, and get another Photon from Sprint.

FYI, I just did a factory reset on phone (since I was planning to return anyway) and it didn't resolve issue.  This was the only advice Motorola could give since I had already done all the other troubleshooting when I called them.

• cybersar

This doesn't help much but I have noticed my headphone jack is flaky at best. Periodically I have to reset it when using the fm radio. Sound drops out and it pops up a notification that the antenea needs to be plugged in. Unfortunately if I just replug it the music app hangs, so I have to exit the music app, replug the headphones and restart the app. Very aggravating and as time goes on I'm feeling I may have made a mistake keeping this phone.

• tlaz

rosatot

Sorry to hear it.

I would go bluetooth if you can.  Saves a lot of troubles.  Just picked up some really nice bt headphones - Jaybird J3. I use them for working out.  NOt cheap, tho.  About $99.  Haven't tried them for just taking calls, etc, but now i just don't bother with headphones if I can help it. 

Eventually those jacks wear out if you insert and pull out the phones enough, imo.  Mine kep getting pulled out while I was exercising - they get caught on the elliptical machine or on my shirt while running.  Or I'd drop the phone with the headphone plugged in and it would yank out the cord.  That's wehn i went BT and i haven't looked back.

• iconeo

Same problem here.

• iconeo

I did a test using tasker and the phone has completely stopped detecting that headphones are being plugged in. This sounds like a hardware failure to me rather than the software being stupid and not switching to the headphones.

• iconeo

Factory reset my phone. Same problem.

Time to take this thing back to the store.

• iconeo

I get my new photon today. Hopefully this won't happen again.

• poppyhud

I am also having a headphone jack issue.  My issue is when I plug my headphones in there is no music at all.  However, all other sounds (phone, volume up/down, radio, etc.) still work.  When I powercycle the phone the music will work for a while but usually quits if I quit listening and then go back to it.  Clearly seems to be a software issue like the audio for music apps just quits.  Wish I knew how to restart those if possible without having to reboot the phone.  Restarting the apps themselves does not work.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

• eaccents
      poppyhud said:

I am also having a headphone jack issue.  My issue is when I plug my headphones in there is no music at all.  However, all other sounds (phone, volume up/down, radio, etc.) still work.  When I powercycle the phone the music will work for a while but usually quits if I quit listening and then go back to it.  Clearly seems to be a software issue like the audio for music apps just quits.  Wish I knew how to restart those if possible without having to reboot the phone.  Restarting the apps themselves does not work.  Anyone else experiencing this issue?

@poppyhud

Can you tell us what settings have you enabled in your Music settings?  What headphones do you use (brand and model)?  How many black rings are on the jack of your headphones?

Also, just to clarify, when you say "I plug my headphones in there is no music at all.  However, all other sounds (phone, volume up/down, radio, etc.) still work." you are referring to what you hear through the headphones, right?  

• poppyhud

Yes.  Thanks for the response.  Currently my Music Settings are:

Audio Effects: Wired Stereo devices: Enable Audio Effects "unchecked" but I have also tried it "checked" with many different settings all with the same

Sleep Timer: "Never Timeout"

Live Music Info: "checked"

Download Podcasts: "unchecked"

Media Share Settings: nothing

FM Radio Region: US

# of Black Rings on headphones: usually two, I do have one pair with three rings but it doesn't work just like the others.  It doesn't seem to be hardware related.  I also use a cassette adapter in my car and the same thing happens.

Last question, yes, I am referring to what I hear through the headphones.  I can hear all other sounds as I would expect to as I operate the phone, including the radio, which I think is the most confusing thing of all, yet no sound from the Music player (mp3's).  I did try to see if there was some sort of timeout for the sound where it would predictably quit but to no avail so far.  I also tested it by rebooting and playing music as long as it would.  It never quit.  Stop then started worked also.  At some point after that (after being stopped)  The music could not be heard after trying to play it again.  It was playing, but could not be heard.  And so it goes...  Reboot, then it works again.  It seems like it happens after the phone has been on for a while.

• Joshua

I have also noticed intermittent headphone issues (which reminds me of my Pre which I had constant issues with the headphone jack). What I have noticed is that lint and dust gets in the headphone jack and prevents the phone from detecting that headphones are plugged in. Try either using compressed air or blowing on the headphone jack to remove any dust or lint that could have gotten trapped inside the jack; that usually solves the problem for me.

@poppyhud It sounds like you may have to factory reset your phone. If that doesn't work then you may have to RMA it through Motorolla if you don't have a protection plan through Sprint.Have you tried other audio formats such as aac using the Music player?

Joshua

• eaccents
      poppyhud said:

Yes.  Thanks for the response.  Currently my Music Settings are:

Audio Effects: Wired Stereo devices: Enable Audio Effects "unchecked" but I have also tried it "checked" with many different settings all with the same

Sleep Timer: "Never Timeout"

Live Music Info: "checked"

Download Podcasts: "unchecked"

Media Share Settings: nothing

FM Radio Region: US

# of Black Rings on headphones: usually two, I do have one pair with three rings but it doesn't work just like the others.  It doesn't seem to be hardware related.  I also use a cassette adapter in my car and the same thing happens.

Last question, yes, I am referring to what I hear through the headphones.  I can hear all other sounds as I would expect to as I operate the phone, including the radio, which I think is the most confusing thing of all, yet no sound from the Music player (mp3's).  I did try to see if there was some sort of timeout for the sound where it would predictably quit but to no avail so far.  I also tested it by rebooting and playing music as long as it would.  It never quit.  Stop then started worked also.  At some point after that (after being stopped)  The music could not be heard after trying to play it again.  It was playing, but could not be heard.  And so it goes...  Reboot, then it works again.  It seems like it happens after the phone has been on for a while.

Are you using any task managers?  What stands out to me is that it seems to happen after the phone has been on--and possibly idle--for a while.  

• eaccents
      Joshua said:

I have also noticed intermittent headphone issues (which reminds me of my Pre which I had constant issues with the headphone jack). What I have noticed is that lint and dust gets in the headphone jack and prevents the phone from detecting that headphones are plugged in. Try either using compressed air or blowing on the headphone jack to remove any dust or lint that could have gotten trapped inside the jack; that usually solves the problem for me.

Joshua

Excellent advice, and a great "first thing to check."  Cool

• poppyhud

No, I am not using any task managers.  I know the Photon comes with one but I haven't used it to kill anything or addded anything to be killed.  That was actually the second thing I checked.  Music Settings being the first.  :)  I wouldn't have posted if it was that easy.  However, since rebooting temporarily resolves the issue it would seem possible that some service is being killed or just dies.  So far I haven't found any good explanation for it and I still believe it is a software issue.  I just wonder if there is a "workaround" that would allow me to restart the service that has died.  I think I have narrowed the issue down to "Media Volume" as the problem area.  Games are silent along with mp3's while other sounds are audible.  One other thing, the speaker works when I unplug the headphones but when the headphones are plugged back in no music.

@Joshua You may not have read my whole post.  The headphones are "connected" as notified in the Music Settings when the issue occurs and work properly for all other sounds as far as I can tell (notifications, ringer, volume up/down prompts, fm radio, etc.).  They just quit playing mp3 music (media) at some point for some reason.  I have also downloaded other music players to see if the issue is resolved by another player but the issue still occurs.  Aggravating to say the least.

Thanks for listening and posting other possible fixes.

Steve