Question

ThatDontImpressMe
    RAZR Maxx MotoCast Auto Uploads stops working
    Question posted March 28, 2012 by ThatDontImpressMeTelegraph , last edited May 4, 2012 , tagged DROID RAZR by Motorola, DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
    2641 Views, 13 Comments
    Question Title:
    RAZR Maxx MotoCast Auto Uploads stops working
    Comment:

Ok I have a RAZR Maxx and have been having trouble with the Auto Upload feature. Initially it seemed to work but then quit. Now if I go through and do a "MotoCast data reset" on the phone it will start working again and upload every thing that is in the camera directory on my phone to my PC via wireless (note here: I did rename the MotoCast Uploads directory before trying this). Then if I take more pictures they just sit there. I don't even get the "waiting to upload" message on the notification bar of the phone if I have the Wifi turned off. If in the 'MotoCast auto upload settings' I uncheck then re-check the 'MotoCast auto upload' setting it tells me that I still have 594 pictures and 54 videos that I have not uploaded yet. This happens pretty much no matter what. If I have just gone through the 'MotoCast data reset' or not and oddly enough the 648 files that it's suppose to be uploading turns into 619. I haven't actually looked to see which files it is skipping in the process. It could be that some of the files, being that they are from my old phone, are in a format that MotoCast doesn't like.

I think the only thing I have downloaded since this happened is the google+ app which has a similar feature that uploads recent pictures and I'm thinking that there may be a conflict there. Another odd thing is that my wife has a RAZR (standard) and hasn't had this problem but then she doesn't have the google+ and I have far more geeky apps on my phone than she does that may be affecting things that I am unaware of.

I did see a few post about how some battery saver apps are affecting peoples data connections but I don't think I have anything that affects my data connection types outside of the Smart Actions app which I don't really use anyway.

Any ideas? Any one?

Answer

• ca.n

Hi, first thing we can try to do is rename the auto upload folder back to the original "MotoCast Uploads".  Did you move the folder locatiion by any chance? If so, please put it back to its original location.  After renaming, test the auto upload feature again.  If it still does not work, please try to reinstall MC v1.2.9 with the default auto upload folder name and path.  Let me know how this goes.

• ca.n

Also, since you have wifi unchecked, did you make sure that your MotoCast auto upload settings is set for "Picutres & videos via mobile or Wi-Fi" in the Data connection ? You can find this in your Gallery --> Settings --> MotoCast Settings --> MotoCast auto upload settings --> Data connection .

• ThatDontImpressMe

ca.n,

During one of my attemps to get this started again, I renamed the "MotoCast Uploads" directory and just left it that way and after doing a "MotoCast data reset" on the phone it did recreate the directory. However, after completeing the download of all the content of my phones camera directory (which is how I understand the "Auto upload" feature is suppose to work) it stopped working again, meaning that if I take more pictures they don't get uploaded. I have tried reinstalling MC v1.2.9 several times with no change. 

On the wifi question, I did set "Pictures & videos via Wifi Only" and turned Wifi off just to see if MC was displaying the "waiting to upload" icon on the notification bar. It wasn't and this is one of the things leading me to believe that something is going on inside the phone that monitors the camera directory. The other thing was the message I get when toggling the "MotoCast auto upload" setting. It says "Upload existing... Do you want to upload the 594 pictures and 54 videos you have not uploaded yet?" I'm not sure how MC keeps track of what it has uploaded and what hasn't been uploaded but the fact that it uploaded everything the first time but the phone thinks I haven't uploaded anything I think is a tell-tale sign that the phone isn't doing something it's suppose to be doing. I just don't know enough about the working of the phone app to guess if some other app I have on the phone is interfering with it.

• ca.n
       thanks for clarifying. Is it possible for us to get your motocast logs? If so, I'll pm you instructions on how to send it. Thanks!
    • ThatDontImpressMe

ca.n,

Okay, where do I find them and where do I send them?

Thanks a bunch.

• Street

I have been having this same issue for at least a month now, maybe longer. It used to work and I don't know why it stopped. Was there a resolution? I had to change it to wifi only becasue it was always trying to upload so it would make phone hot and run down battery. It said 13 waiting to upload- then I would connect and it would start uploading 0 of 13 it said. The blue bar would generally go to 100 % and then it would close. Minute later says same thing. 13 to upload, etc. Now it changed recently and is at 114 waiting to upload. I have my home PC on and when I connect to wifi (doesn't matter if at home or work) it generally never changes off the status bar message- waiting to upload. I am fully connected and it says wifi off or not available. If I reboot phone and connect to wifi it will start uploading the first item but then closes again. It never changes other than adding more to the queue everytime I take a picture. I did file a ticket a month ago and she said, try uninstalling the client, which I did. I renamed the folder, all that. I also did what this OP said and reset moto data. Same issue. Nothing works. Unfortunately I can't uninstall it from my phone and it is always consuming resources since it doesn't work. 

• ca.n

Hi, there are some improvements coming in the next release that is aimed at auto upload and overall sync.  Please be a bit more patient with us as we start to roll this out, hopefully sometime in the next week.  

• ThatDontImpressMe
       Street, In my case there hasn't been a resolution. Ca.n worked pretty hard on the problem. However, the final word from the developers was that the debug dump from the phone didn't show anything conclusive, but thought it might be a corrupted DB and being that the phone is a locked device (thanks Verizon) there was no way to access the phones DB. The last solution was to try doing a factory reset on the phone. I haven't that route yet. I read where the phone will kick off any PC's it hasn't connected to for two weeks. So I'm waiting for that to time out to see if that corrects the problem. Ca.n, Is there a possibility that this update will fix this problem?
    • ca.n
      ThatDontImpressMe said:
       Street, In my case there hasn't been a resolution. Ca.n worked pretty hard on the problem. However, the final word from the developers was that the debug dump from the phone didn't show anything conclusive, but thought it might be a corrupted DB and being that the phone is a locked device (thanks Verizon) there was no way to access the phones DB. The last solution was to try doing a factory reset on the phone. I haven't that route yet. I read where the phone will kick off any PC's it hasn't connected to for two weeks. So I'm waiting for that to time out to see if that corrects the problem. Ca.n, Is there a possibility that this update will fix this problem?

There are going to be a couple updates coming in the very near future, to both server and device.  We've made alot improvements in overall sync.  I'm hoping that these updates will fix your problem, but can't gaurantee because we couldn't look at your device db.  Let's try out these new releases, and if the same issue appears, we'll take it from there.  Please keep me updated on any new findings and I'll make sure to do the same on this thread.  

• Street

I got the update last week and have been trying a few different things but still having the same issue. When it does connect, it seems to upload the first picture and then closes but it said it has 141 to upload. Never gets past one upload and doesn't even upload that one, it just shows it progressing.

• ca.n
      Street said:

I got the update last week and have been trying a few different things but still having the same issue. When it does connect, it seems to upload the first picture and then closes but it said it has 141 to upload. Never gets past one upload and doesn't even upload that one, it just shows it progressing.

please check your inbox

• ThatDontImpressMe

Ok, got the phone update and still no joy. I tried installing MotoCast on my homeserver but the Auto Upload didn't even try to start. I really didn't expect it to. The directory structure is so different and premissions are always a hassle when trying to install apps on a server. I have another PC I can install MotoCast on I think I'm going to give it a try and see if that works.

• ThatDontImpressMe

Update: No joy with installing MotoCast on the other PC. MotoCast did install but when I did a MotoCast data reset and then changed the auto upload settings to the other PC and toggled the MotoCast auto upload I got the " you have x pictures and x videos do you want to upload them now" I answer yes and nothing happens. No waiting to upload icon and it doesn't even try to create the MotoCast uploads directory. I guess my next option will be the factory reset. I really hate the going that route because I have no assurances that it's going to work or if it does fix it that it's going to stay fixed. Anyway i'm going to clean up my phone so that this is more painfull than what it has to be, I'll update again when it's done.