DROID X2 by Motorola

Verizon Wireless

Discussion

jason.droid
    Forget the Spring 2012 OTA bloatware update - Motorola...
    Discussion posted March 21, 2012 by jason.droidDynaTac (100+ points) , last edited April 12, 2012 , tagged DROID X2 by Motorola
    2102 Views, 28 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Forget the Spring 2012 OTA bloatware update - Motorola UPDATE our kernel!
    Comment:

Why are we still on a Froyo kernel again? Battery life and overall stability would be massively improved with the official Gingerbread 2.6.35.7 kernel.

I'm so happy I bought a phone that's 2 years newer than my original Droid, and yet they run the same damn kernel! We're missing out on a great deal of driver optimizations and battery savings. We all know how the hybrid kernels worked out when you pushed Gingerbread out to Froyo phones, though I think the DX got the short end of that stick. Still, if you're not giving us ICS, at least give us 100% Gingerbread. We did pay quite a bit of money for a half-baked phone, and my next one surely won't carry a Motorola badge after this farce. Thanks anyway, as I know we won't get a damn thing other than more Verizon bloatware.

Answer

• dabbb

Yeah, once I can I'm buying a G-Nex off contract. I wish I hadn't gotten this phone based on a motorola promise to unlock it. In the meantime, we should just make ourselves heard, and advise others against getting a Motorola, since they stand for broken promises and poor customer support.

• JBass

My wife repeatedly tells me that she "LOVES!' her X2.

After some well documented hiccups, she inherited my phone and sees no need for an upgrade.

ICS, she could care less. We are not your average phone buyers.

Best of luck with the Gnex. I have seen toys that were better designed and constructed...

• GUANOPSYCHOTIC

when my phone makes calls ok.

emails ok.

takes pictures and uploads them ok with geotagging.

navigates ok.

gives me weather updates and alerts ok.

why would i want to tweak it?

• jason.droid

Maybe some of you didn't own an X2 when it was brand new and there were no updates for 3-4 months. It was completely unstable, had terrible battery life, and generally the phone was unusable. As a customer, I remember these things. Battery life is still subpar compared to the Droid 3 on the GB kernel. I have to manually disable GPS otherwise background apps will drain the battery and heat up the phone so much it nearly burned my leg while it was in my pocket.

Has the X2 improved from its initial unusability? Yes. The phone can now be used as a basic phone. Is it up to par with other dual-cores of its time? No. Battery life is terrible if you actually USE the phone, performance is sub-par - most people have NO idea the phone is actually faster than shipped from the factory, memory management is TERRIBLE and causes reboots, and overall, the phone just falls short of what it COULD be.

My X2 only reboots when on stock 2.3.4. I've applied BAND-AID fixes because we can't update the kernel ourselves, but for the most part, reboots are down to about 1-2 per month with the fixes; sometimes the browser causes a reboot, other time heavy multitasking, and other times, GPS apps may cause a reboot. To me, that's unacceptable. You guys are supporting an under-developed product, and are just asking for more in the future. Shame really, but it's your money.

• dabbb
      jason.droid said:

Maybe some of you didn't own an X2 when it was brand new and there were no updates for 3-4 months. It was completely unstable, had terrible battery life, and generally the phone was unusable. As a customer, I remember these things. Battery life is still subpar compared to the Droid 3 on the GB kernel. I have to manually disable GPS otherwise background apps will drain the battery and heat up the phone so much it nearly burned my leg while it was in my pocket.

Has the X2 improved from its initial unusability? Yes. The phone can now be used as a basic phone. Is it up to par with other dual-cores of its time? No. Battery life is terrible if you actually USE the phone, performance is sub-par - most people have NO idea the phone is actually faster than shipped from the factory, memory management is TERRIBLE and causes reboots, and overall, the phone just falls short of what it COULD be.

My X2 only reboots when on stock 2.3.4. I've applied BAND-AID fixes because we can't update the kernel ourselves, but for the most part, reboots are down to about 1-2 per month with the fixes; sometimes the browser causes a reboot, other time heavy multitasking, and other times, GPS apps may cause a reboot. To me, that's unacceptable. You guys are supporting an under-developed product, and are just asking for more in the future. Shame really, but it's your money.

JBass's wife loves this phone. That means that everything you just said must be invalid and has not neither does exist. Now, ignorant G-Nex bash without any evidence or grounds.

• p1ngputts
      JBass said:

After some well documented hiccups, she inherited my phone and sees no need for an upgrade.

Best of luck with the Gnex. I have seen toys that were better designed and constructed...

Most people on this site are more than average phone buyers and care about ICS. I agree with OP's original post.

• jalh

I'm glad my contract is ending this Sep. I'm not planning to get any more Motorola phones as long as they keep their phones bootlocked. At this point Motorola has no obligation to update their phones anymore and since the bootloader is locked, user cannot create standalone ROMs or heavely modify the phone for better performance. Droid X was my first and last Moto phone, this type of behavior makes custumers leave to other manufacturers. The only solution is to stop giving them money; ill just taky my business elsewhere.

• jalh
      GUANOPSYCHOTIC said:

when my phone makes calls ok.

emails ok.

takes pictures and uploads them ok with geotagging.

navigates ok.

gives me weather updates and alerts ok.

why would i want to tweak it?

Better performance and stability.

Expand the lifetime with custom ROMs.

Have a trully yours device.

so the question is : Why not ?

• joelbon
      dabbb said:

JBass's wife loves this phone. That means that everything you just said must be invalid and has not neither does exist. Now, ignorant G-Nex bash without any evidence or grounds.

So, because someone likes what they have and then admits it and doesn't say anywhere that the OP doesn't have problems than you assume that JBass means that since he doesn't have problems than the OP doesn't have problems? Not sure I understand the logic here.

I have seen so many cases where 1 person has absolutely no issues at all and another has all kinds of problems. It doesn't mean that the person with problems don't have legitimate problems because someone else doesn't. I see what was said just someone stating that they like the phone and doesn't see a reason to upgrade from that particular device.

Everyone has their own opinion and it should be respected while on this site. According to the House Rules:

"Be fair. No personal attacks. (And in general, don’t be a jerk): We encourage discussions, debates and even arguments, but please share your thoughts politely and constructively. Personal attacks and comments about other owners, moderators or Motorola employees are not welcome. Comments like "get over it," "stop whining," "why do you want that?" and other dismissals of other people's concerns are not appropriate. Talk about yourself vs. others."

• zbreeze02

I currently like my X2 enough to stay with it for a few more months and not jump ship for what's currently available.  The only two real problems that I have had are music skip and sluggishness.  I did get tired of waiting for a fix from Red-on-Red and and now have a 50/50 mix of Blue-Green.  Sluggishness is gone, but the music skipping may be a kernel or hardware issue.  If I could update the kernel I'd probably keep it even longer.  I do feel that Motorola has abandoned this phone and has/will only provide token support.

• jason.droid

Most of my music skipping issues have been resolved by using the Stagefright player, which was improved in Gingerbread, however, Motorola still failed to enable it on our phones after the move to Gingerbread. It's still not perfect, but better. IMO, it'll never be perfect until they actually build us a real Gingerbread build (kernel, mostly) with improved drivers from Nvidia. Stagefright is enabled on newer Motorola phones, including the Droid 3/4/Bionic/Razr.

• zbreeze02

I may try Stagefright if I start getting too many music skips.  Last night I used the Google Play Music app for about an hour with my Backbeat 903's and no skips.  Today I'll listen longer to see what happens. Surfed the web last night and comments about the stability and usability of Stagefright are all over the place from great to unfinished code that causes many problems.  Must one edit the "forbidden to be discussed file" to get Stagefright? May have to take this question elsewhere because I'm surprised this conversation has been allowed to go on this long here.

• jason.droid

And here are all of the things we'll never see: http://developer.android.com/sdk/android-4.0-highlights.html

I'm really not sure why more people aren't vocal about being denied better software. It's a HUGE improvement, and one that would only ENHANCE the X2's hardware. It would be SO easy to port over the Atrix 4G's build of ICS by removing unnecessary items and changing the radio to CDMA. Nvidia already released drivers for the Tegra2 for ICS. That's 3/4s of the system; the rest is Wifi/Bluetooth/CDMA.

Sorry, but I feel cheated with a phone that has capable hardware, but I'd be willing to settle for an improved kernel because this phone really isn't what it should be. The music stuttering/skipping was never fully fixed, and many of us dealt with it for MONTHS before another half-assed attempt was made to fix it. Is it fixed to date? No. Will it be? Probably not. The software build on this phone is, quite frankly, a joke. If you try to watch a regular, non-HD MPEG, you'll find that it drops frames and pauses from time to time. It's unacceptable. Stagefright actually cures this 99%, and is it enabled? Nope. The only time the X2 uses Stagefright is at boot when it plays the DROID sound during the boot animation.

We might as well have been handed pre-production models out of the box, and this phone's software at release was just a tiny notch above that (if only I knew then, right?). I'm tired of the token updates. I want a REAL update - one that fixes and actually improves the phone. This phone isn't old enough to toss out, but it seems Motorola AND Verizon would like you to do so and move on to the next best, and buggiest thing. Sorry, but the XBOX 360 and PS3 are 100x better now than they were at release, and that was mostly through software updates.

• mojorizen
       Just do what I plan on doing. Show them with your wallet. After one decent Moto Android device (DX) and then a slap in the face in terms of reliability and customer care (DX2), I will never purchase another. Moto will never learn until their market share slides further and starts listening to the customers.
    • JBass
      p1ngputts said:
      JBass said:

Most people on this site are more than average phone buyers and care about ICS. I agree with OP's original post.

Thank you for agreeing with me. We (the people in this forum) are not your average phone buyers.

We expect more from our phones, including ICS in some cases.

As far as my wife loving her phone invalidating anyone's views, she also loves mushrooms and shellfish which I personally can live without.

However, she is a fairly typical android user.

Regarding the GNEX, its' foibles and weakness are well documented.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?p=24073822

Users rated the nexus a 8.3 vs. a 9.6 for the DRazr.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/Samsung-GALAXY-Nexus-CDMA_id6135/reviews

Charging port and phone jack failures being the most common failure:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?s=7e907ba0f0375664c9d070b8d3091f34&t=1518285

I have colleagues who own them and, ICS notwithstanding, they report significantly worse battery life and phone reception than my DRazr by a long shot.

Build quality is also sub-par with cheap plastics and poor durability.

Before I forget, the young couple (late 20's early 30's) that cleans our carpets also just bought an X2.

Strangely enough, they love it and have no interest in (or awareness of )ICS...