Discussion

cam1235
    ICS having issues? Wipe Your Cache!!
    Discussion posted June 28, 2012 by cam1235DynaTac (100+ points)  , tagged DROID RAZR by Motorola, DROID RAZR MAXX by Motorola
    13180 Views, 21 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    ICS having issues? Wipe Your Cache!!
    Comment:

I just want to say, many people have issues regarding their applications etc. If you are having issues with your music player, camera, and other aplications...you should do the following: 

**Steps Pulled from ElDudarino42**

Step 1: From a Power off position press and hold the Power, Vol up and Down Key until the bootloader screen comes up

Step 2: Volume down to recovery and than hit Volume up to select

Step 3: When the Android with the the Red Triangle appears push the vol up and down button together

Step 4: Scroll to clear cache partition and push the power button

Step 5: wait for it to clear and than choose reboot once complete by pushing the power button.

It seems to me that the OTA upgrade did not wipe the cache before the install of ICS (Or it didn't do a good job at it). Hopefully this won't become problematic in the long run...people who install custom ROMs tend to have many issues if they dont wipe their cache before install. 

Answer

• grandsport

Agreed - nothing to lose and no data loss. Should also consider just letting it settle a day or so. Power down the phone for 10-15 minutes (just to give yourself a break).

• djembeman

If clearing the cache alone doesn't fix my 6 hour RAZR MAXX battery, hopefully a Factory Data Reset will fix it.

• taDROID

my phone is so much faster after this... THANK YOU!!!

• william_04_x

I was having some serious browser hang issues after ICS and a FDR. After this process they are gone. Thanks for the post. :)

• djembeman
      One thing I'm used to doing and have been told since about two years ago, is to clear cache 3 times. Usually in the context of installing a ROM, but would seem to apply here. This along with many other changes has given me 15hrs of battery life. 6hrs after ICS was pushed to now, getting about 15hrs.
    • mrdoon

I'm hopeful that this will solve the issues I've had since upgrading to ICS last weekend.  My battery life hasn't been bad but the phone is generally slow to respond to almost all touches.  I originally suspected that it was an incompatability between Go Launcher EX and ICS but the problem existed even when using the stock launcher.  Thanks for the tip and I'll post back after I have had a chance to clear the cache and play with my phone. 

• guitarplayin
      Just tried this. I see a clear improvement in smooth functionality. There is nothing to lose. I think everyone should try this that is having any problems as a really great first step. I went back and did it a a second time and tried the three time cache wipe and it seems even better. Thanks for a really great tip.
    • darklights
      will this delete any of my files?
    • guitarplayin
      No, it will not...
    • darklights
      ok, thanks.
    • sdrolz
      mrdoon said:

I'm hopeful that this will solve the issues I've had since upgrading to ICS last weekend.  My battery life hasn't been bad but the phone is generally slow to respond to almost all touches.  I originally suspected that it was an incompatability between Go Launcher EX and ICS but the problem existed even when using the stock launcher.  Thanks for the tip and I'll post back after I have had a chance to clear the cache and play with my phone. 

I also run the GOLauncher EX and ICS and thought that might be related to my problems since the ICS upgrade.  I'm about 48 hours into the upgrade and am seeing some relief.  The first 24 hours battery Drain and Heat, make that HOT, issue were really concerning.  Just found and tried the instructions to clear the cache in this post.  If this works, suggestion to developers...  priority #1 patch to the ics upgrade.  I would assume that MOST users aren't as tech savy as I am, and I'm no power user.

• darklights
      I did it 3 x and my phone booted up and loaded so fast. thanks alot.
    • mrdoon
      mrdoon said:

Things have definitely improved since I cleared the cache so, again, thanks cam1235 (and ElDudarino42) for the tip!  With that said, Go Launcher EX is still acting a little strange at times (jumping to a different home screen after exiting an app, missing widgets and app icons, etc.) so I am not sure that I'll be staying with it for the long haul.  I am trying out Apex and Nova (I tend to prefer Nova so far) but will keep my eyes open for other options as well. 

• sdrolz

No help for me after clearing the cache repeatedly.  I think I tried up to 5 times over the course of one day.  Ultimately, a Factory Rest appears to have solved my problems.  I lost everything app wise, but battery lasted overnight, no hot phone anymore and cpu usage is way down.  must have been one, or more, of my old apps not compatible with ics.  I wish I knew which one it was.  

• Halr

I thought I would bump this thread.  Atrix 2 update to ICS yesterday on mine.  It was better for sure.  But finding this thread, and clearing my cache really woke up my Atrix 2 .  I am impressed with the speed of the system now!  Great advice, thanks!