DROID X by Motorola

Verizon Wireless

Discussion

Matt (Forums Manager)
    Does your phone appear to restart on its own after you turn...
    Discussion posted August 17, 2011 by Matt (Forums Manager)ÜBERXprt (12,000+ points) , last edited March 1, 2012
    2928 Views, 378 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Does your phone appear to restart on its own after you turn it off?
    Comment:

Branching this off from another discussion.

Some owners are reporting that their DX is turning back on after they shut it off. Not sure what this is. There is a school of thought that figures that the phone doesn't actually turn off all the way. It tries to turn off, the screen and buttons go dark, etc. Then it sits there, trying to complete the shut-down cycle, fails, panics and turns back on -- classic rebooting. One reason this hypothosis is popular is because it seems that if you turn off the phone and have it plugged in, and see the charging-while-off icon, it never "restarts by itself." Interested in anyone having evidence or ideas for or against this line of thinking.

Anyone who wants to provide more information to help with this, please post:

• the date and time of these "restarts"
    • and make sure your HED MEID is up to date in your user profile, here on the forums.

Please make it easy for us to track this by limiting your posts to date and time stamps, details, and theories about what might be behind this. I understand that some owners are upset that this hasn't been solved already. If you want to express that, there are other threads, like this one, where you can. I want to express appreciation for the owners who have alerted us about this but would like to keep this thread just focused on getting data.

Thanks.

Answer

• Matt (Forums Manager)

Branching this off from another discussion.

Some owners are reporting that their DX is turning back on after they shut it off. Not sure what this is. There is a school of thought that figures that the phone doesn't actually turn off all the way. It tries to turn off, the screen and buttons go dark, etc. Then it sits there, trying to complete the shut-down cycle, fails, panics and turns back on -- classic rebooting. One reason this hypothosis is popular is because it seems that if you turn off the phone and have it plugged in, and see the charging-while-off icon, it never "restarts by itself." Interested in anyone having evidence or ideas for or against this line of thinking.

Anyone who wants to provide more information to help with this, please post:

• the date and time of these "restarts"
      • and make sure your HED MEID is up to date in your user profile, here on the forums.

Please make it easy for us to track this by limiting your posts to date and time stamps, details, and theories about what might be behind this. I understand that some owners are upset that this hasn't been solved already. If you want to express that, there are other threads, like this one, where you can. I want to express appreciation for the owners who have alerted us about this but would like to keep this thread just focused on getting data.

Thanks.

• mudhen10

Matt it is probably just a coincidence.  Since I don't sit and watch my phone, I let the email audible notification become my notice that the phone has really turned itselfoff on.  Essentially I turn off my phone by selecting POWER OFF. I then use my OUTLOOK client on my desktop PC to send myself a self addressed email and wait to hear if it arrives on my phone.

• ONEMAT

Matt

One way to test if the phone really goes off completely is to have the headphone plugged into something that will amplify it's out put. The phone emits some tones when it's going off. They stop when the phone is totally down.  The phone will also emit the same sounds when you start it up.

At this posit I'd love to know how many users are actually having the problem. There's got to be a reason why many people X phones do not have the issue. I'm still thinking it's an App, a setting, or something the carrier has put out there in some areas. It makes no sense to me that it is Gingerbread issue if the vast majority of us do not have the issue.

LasMatt

• witzcap

Onematt,

If you believe that it is not Gingerbread then why has it just started since Gingerbread came out?  Everything was fine with Froyo, phone turned itself off just fine.  As you can see from the posts and hits in this forum alot of people are having this problem, it is just not a select few.

• iBoBv1

Matt (Forums Manager) wrote:

Anyone who wants to provide more information to help with this, please post the date and time of these "restarts" and make sure your HED MEID is up to date in your user profile, here on the forums.

Thanks.

Matt,

08:59 EDT, 08-17-2011

is there a way to save a log to the SD card when you attempt a power down?  I've used aLogcat but it doesn't save across reboots.

• Matt (Forums Manager)

Witzcap, I'm sorry that we haven't delivered the solution you're looking for. I'm not an engineer, but I'm assuming this is a tough nut to crack. I appreciate your help up to this point -- what good does it do to discourage others from helping now? I'm continuing to work this and will be grateful to anyone who provides this additional detail. I can move this to another thread if you think it doesn't belong on this one.

witzcap wrote:

Matt are you kidding?  You have been asking from us the same information since the bug was first discovered after the release of Gingerbread, HED MEID, when it occurs, how it occurs, etc.  That has not solved anything because people have been reporting the problem to you over the last two months with all of the information you have requested and Motorola can still not come out with a fix.  In fact I even sent you my phone to help troubleshoot the issue at your request, did that not help solve the issue, did it even get looked into?  We have been giving you all the information you should need in order to replicate this issue, why can Motorola not figure this out?  I have never heard of or had a phone that will not shut itself down, this is just inexcusable.  What makes it worse is that Motorola can't figure out the problem or just won't figure out the problem.  As you can see many of us are just plain fed up and frustrated at this point.  I am positive that Motorola will be losing alot of business over this whole debacle, I am pretty much positive that this has put the nail in the coffin for me being a Motorola customer again. 

• Cody21

OK, mine Powered up after a power off today at 11:11 AM PST

You have my MEID

Mudhen10, I don't fully understand your test for "turn on." Can you spell out the steps?

I do understand why this gets categorized as a "reboot" (turn off, then on). There is a school of thought that figures that the phone doesn't actually turn off all the way. It tries to turn off, the screen and buttons go dark, etc. Then it sits there, trying to complete the shut-down cycle, fails, panics and turns back on -- classic rebooting. One reason this hypothosis is popular is because it seems that if you turn off the phone and have it plugged in, and see the charging-while-off icon, it never "restarts by itself." Interested in anyone having evidence or ideas for or against this line of thinking.

Anyone who wants to provide more information to help with this, please post the date and time of these "restarts" and make sure your HED MEID is up to date in your user profile, here on the forums.

Thanks.

• tryb

Aug 17, 2011 12:21 AM CDT

My HED MEID is up to date in my profile.

Mudhen10, I don't fully understand your test for "turn on." Can you spell out the steps?

I  do understand why this gets categorized as a "reboot" (turn off, then  on). There is a school of thought that figures that the phone doesn't  actually turn off all the way. It tries to turn off, the screen and  buttons go dark, etc. Then it sits there, trying to complete the  shut-down cycle, fails, panics and turns back on -- classic rebooting.  One reason this hypothosis is popular is because it seems that if you  turn off the phone and have it plugged in, and see the  charging-while-off icon, it never "restarts by itself." Interested in  anyone having evidence or ideas for or against this line of thinking.

Anyone  who wants to provide more information to help with this, please post  the date and time of these "restarts" and make sure your HED MEID is up  to date in your user profile, here on the forums.

Thanks.

• mudhen10

Matt, I forgot to say that I have my phone set to fetch email at 15 minute intervals.  Again, it is probably just a coincidence that my "test scenario" shows that the phone turned itself on.

• witzcap

Matt,

I am not trying to cause any issues or discourage anyone from   trying to help fix this solution.  I just don't want people to be   encouraged that Motorola engineers are going to fix this problem at this   point.  I have wasted alot of time as well as others have for 3 months   now trying help to fix this problem.  You wanted peoples HED MEID   numbers and details on what they do to recreate the problem, you got   it.  You wanted a phone to give to your engineers to recreate the   problem, you got it.  After 3 months if seems like the engineers are no  further than when we started.  If the Motorola engineers can not come up  with a  solution after 3 months and all of the information and  equipment  provided I can not understand why they can not find a fix.  I  have to  think there is more to the story that we as consumers are not  being  provided.  We only got one fix for Froyo, would we possibly get  several  for Gingerbread?  I hope that your engineers are able to prove  me wrong  with coming up with a fix for the restart problem.  I wish  them well.

Witzcap, I'm sorry that we haven't delivered the solution you're looking for. I'm not an engineer, but I'm assuming this is a tough nut to crack. I appreciate your help up to this point -- what good does it do to discourage others from helping now? I'm continuing to work this and will be grateful to anyone who provides this additional detail. I can move this to another thread if you think it doesn't belong on this one.

witzcap wrote:

Matt are you kidding?  You have been asking from us the same information since the bug was first discovered after the release of Gingerbread, HED MEID, when it occurs, how it occurs, etc.  That has not solved anything because people have been reporting the problem to you over the last two months with all of the information you have requested and Motorola can still not come out with a fix.  In fact I even sent you my phone to help troubleshoot the issue at your request, did that not help solve the issue, did it even get looked into?  We have been giving you all the information you should need in order to replicate this issue, why can Motorola not figure this out?  I have never heard of or had a phone that will not shut itself down, this is just inexcusable.  What makes it worse is that Motorola can't figure out the problem or just won't figure out the problem.  As you can see many of us are just plain fed up and frustrated at this point.  I am positive that Motorola will be losing alot of business over this whole debacle, I am pretty much positive that this has put the nail in the coffin for me being a Motorola customer again. 

• faafil

<snip>

Thanks.

+1 Restart @ 5:58 am August 18. I pulled the update yesterday afternoon (no errors). MEID is correct in my profile.

btw - my restarts are usually immediate - no lag time. I have no app killer.

• f38urry

....................Anyone who wants to provide more information to help with this, please post the date and time of these "restarts" and make sure your HED MEID is up to date in your user profile, here on the forums.

Matt,

I powered my Droid X off last evening at about 8:00 PM EDST.  It spontaneously restarted within one or two minutes.  This has been a problem since the Memorial Day weekend Gingerbread soak and did not improve with the latest update.

I'm on the most recent Gingerbread update, have never run anything other than official updates since last August.  You have my HEX MEID on record.  I have relatively few third party apps installed.  PM me if you want a list of them.

• eeyore-south

Hi Matt,

You are looking for the dates and times of the restarts.... mine has been restarting virtually every day, no matter what time since I updated to the Gingerbread back in May I believe. I've gotten to the point that I use sleep now instead of trying to shut it off. As mentioned in previous posts, it sometimes will power up a second time after shutting it off from the first restart. I think some other people have encountered this as well.

Again, I'm not sure why the date and time will help, when it happens every time it's shut off. My MEID is up to date.

As mentioned in a previous post, when I went to the Verizion Store, they said that Motorola was well aware of this problem and that many, many people are coming into them with the restart problem. That was back in June I think.

It's getting discouraging that Motorola won't acknowledge the problem at all.

Thanks for any help you may bring.

Casey

• Matt (Forums Manager)

Eeyore-south wrote:

I'm not sure why the date and time will help, when it happens every time it's shut off.

Can you take my word for it?

We  can look for panic data on your phone but there's a ton of data and  without your help, we can't identify what may be happening.

• kevinkar

We can look for panic data on your phone but there's a    ton of data and without your help, we can't identify what may be    happening.

I hate to be all X-Files here but are you saying you are remotely accessing log data on the sly?  If so, you may want to make that clear in case anyone is worried about privacy concerns!

If one had a log app installed, can we look for what you are looking for ourselves?  I have aLogCat installed and check it regularly but, not being a developer or programmer, I don't know what I'm looking for but "panic" seems to be a logical thing to look for.

I regularly get into the habit of starting aLogCat, clearing the logs, and then shutting down the phone.  When it starts back up, I don't see anything of value in the logs that is any different from what it was before...

Kevin