Question

LabRtv
    Atrix HD How do I transfer apps to SD card
    Question posted August 4, 2012 by LabRtvTelegraph  , tagged MOTOROLA ATRIX™ HD
    13440 Views, 20 Comments
    Question Title:
    Atrix HD How do I transfer apps to SD card
    Comment:

Have been aable to transfer pictures, so card is working.

With Atrix 2 I could transfer apps to SD card.  I understand some apps must stay on the phone. 

Answer

• servbotx

There is no option to save the apps to the SD per the default functionality of Android 4.0.

All applications occupy the storage with everything else, which is why the internal storage is wiped during a factory reset.

Hope this helps answer your question.

• LabRtv

Thanks for the info.  It is too bad this feature is no longer available as some apps are rather large.  Reduces the usefulness of the SD card.

Maybe this can be addressed should there be a software upgrade.

• sxweiss

I use an Atrix 2 and with that anyone can download apps from Google Play or AppBrain using the search term App to SD Card.  Because I don't have an Atrix HD I don't know if that might serve as a workaround for you or not but I would be tempted to try it.  At the same time isn't the internal storage on the HD about twice what it is on the 2?

I follow the same guidelines I've lived by for years with Windows where I try to keep everything possible off of my "C drive" or internal memory in the case of a cell phone and thus install apps wherever possible on alternate drives or storage devices such as an SD Card.

• servbotx

On the Atrix 2, which is on Android 2.3 and was designed as such, you can save to the SD card when an external card is inserted. More than likely when the Atrix 2 is upgraded to ICS, it will retain this feature.

On the Atrix HD, which is on 4.0.4 and was designed as such, the default function of the internal storage is not to mount the storage as a drive, but as MTP. Doing such opens the entire rom for installation (and larger ROMs if required in future upgrades). Devices with this style of memory allocation do not have the ability to save to external and will not be able to gain the feature in an upgrade, as the ROM can't be partitioned with user data installed.

User available storage on the Atrix HD is 4.7GB (8GB installed).

• servbotx
      LabRtv said:

Thanks for the info.  It is too bad this feature is no longer available as some apps are rather large.  Reduces the usefulness of the SD card.

Maybe this can be addressed should there be a software upgrade.

This functionality remains in Android 4.1.1

• sxweiss
      Servbotxx, Thanks for the information. I have a question. If there is 8Gb of total internal storage but only some of it is accessible by the EU that would seem to be pretty much akin to portioning a drive and securing part of the drive. What's different?
    • servbotx

Instead of having a set partition for application storage like on pre-ICS devices, the entire remaining ROM (internal storage) is available for application installations. The OS uses the first portion, which is why only 4.7GB is available.

• sxweiss

So that's your reason for your post warning about back up in the other discussion.

• jamsowd

I realize this thread is old but still pops up in most viewed.  I'm not so sure it isn't motorolas doing, since my wife LG Nitro( with andoird 4.0.4 and the same kernel number as my atrix hd) can move apps to the sd card.

• wamsille

Atrix HD owner here.  Overall I'm happy with the device but the implementation of internal versus external storage makes this device extremely unattractive.  8 GB on board storage with only 4 GB accessible by the user?  It doesn't take much to fill up those 4 GB and once you hit ~700 MB you get low storage space warnings.  Many apps are looking for an SD card to store applications to - but they can't because the 4 GB is listed on the device as an SD card.  The microSD is 'External 1'. 

Motorola - you really need to pick up the pace and enable moving apps to the SD card.  At this point I'm willing to risk voiding my warranty and causing damage to my device to flip internal and external storage so Android sees my 32 GB card as the internal storage.  The only widget I use on my home screen is the circles widget.  I have had to stop gaming on my Android device because of the storage issue.  I'm afraid to put anything on the phone for fear I will bust through internal storage and there won't be any apps released that allow me to change the storage location without rooting. 

• Eagle328
      Why are you blaming Motorola? Every phone is now this way. I think it stinks but thats the way it is. My Samsung Note 2 comes with 16Gbs internal memory and I have a 64Gb card in it. Its an Android issue in general.
    • wamsille

Actually, when I remove the 32 GB microSD card from my device any of the applications I have downloaded and installed through the marketplace disappear and only reappear after the card has been inserted and properly mounted.  The functionality is still in there and should be allowed to be used.  There are many things inside the Atrix HD that were once in ICS and/or should have been accessible from day one that were taken out of the final Jelly Bean OTA.  I can live with a lot of things, but the storage restriction is insane considering many applications can easily be 1 GB on their own.  Games, yes, but if we have bought into Google's ecosystem we should be able to use the apps we purchased and expand the memory of our devices.  

I miss Gingerbread....

• Mn3kgtvr4

Seriously dissapointed in this.  One of the reasons I chose the HD over the One X is because of the SD availability.  This is a Google issue - go to any S3 forum and they've got the same complaint.  Would think there would be a workaround available, though.

• whitefox

Is it possible to download and install an older operating system that has this capability?

• Eagle328

You would really need to mod the phone to get that to work if your lucky. We cant discuss modding on this site. And there is no older  OS that the HD had that had apps to SD. I really don't like it this way myself. I got an HTC one x+ with a 64Gb internal so I wont have the limited space that this change has caused.