Discussion

USFBulls
    HELP: Standard Edition vs Moto Actv Golf Edition vs Multi...
    Discussion posted March 28, 2012 by USFBullsLandline (10+ points) , last edited April 1, 2012 , tagged MOTOROLA MOTOACTV™ 16GB, MOTOROLA MOTOACTV™ 8GB
    3748 Views, 13 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    HELP: Standard Edition vs Moto Actv Golf Edition vs Multi Sport Edition
    Comment:

Are these 2 devices the same?  Can the standard edition be upgraded?  Does the Golf edition have all the fitness features of the standard model?  If the standard does not have the golf features and vice versa, can they be upgraded via software update?  How about the multi sport edition, what is the difference between all of these models?  I was going to but but dont want to get stuck with something of limited functionality.  I could not find a chart on the website with a feature comparison between models.

Also, are all models available in 8gb or 16gb?

Please let me know ASAP as I would like to get it for this weekend.

Thanks 

Answer

• gadgetie

I think the multi-sport edition has the heart rate and cycling sensors bundled with the standard version product.  I noticed that when I was looking into what the multi-sport edition was all about.  

Can't help you w/ the golf edition b/c I'm not sure anyone knows these answers for certain other than Motorola. If you want it for the weekend...the golf version isn't released yet... so you'd need to go w/ one of the 8gb or 16gb standard models.  

• USFBulls

Thats helps.  Im wondering if the golf edition will just be via SW update or all different hardware / software.  Anyone else know?

Moto?

• YeahBuddy

USFBulls,

I looked into this just a little more on the website and upon further inspection they advertise the Multi-Sport Addition as just a bundle.  If you bought all the things that they advertise seperately — MOTOACTV 8 GB fitness tracker and smart MP3 player ($249.99), MOTOACTV Bike Mount ($29.99) , Motorola Bike Speed + Cadence Sensor ($59.99), Motorola Heart Rate Monitor Chest Strap ($69.99), Motorola SF200 Sports Headphones (come with the device) and more (the only thing that I don't know about) — it would cost you $409.96 without the "more". So that leads me to believe that, "It’s the perfect package to help you track your performance and hit the road safer. Buy yours now for only $399.99!"  So you get a little bit of a discount if you bundle all the different things together.

About the Golf Edition, it looks as though it will only be offered in the 16GB device since the Golf Edition boasts "20,000 courses worldwide" and all that GPS information that is needed to access those courses and all the different information that each hole has makes it look like you will need a lot of GBs.  Also, the price indicates this as well $299.99 (same as the 16GB model).

That is my 2 cents.  I don't work for Motorola so I am not the authority but I just wanted to chime in since Moto hasn't yet (and they probably will not until the device officially launches/ships.

• YeahBuddy

Other related Golf Edition information can be found here:https://forums.motorola.com/posts/08067873be 

Just in case you have missed the thread.

• Matt (Forums Manager)

I know you have many questions about the new MOTOACTV Golf offer. Here's how it's going to work.

A Beta "golf edition" of the MOTOACTV software, tailored for golfers, will be available to all current MOTOACTV owners via a software update April 2 - 16. Additionally, a new retail version of MOTOACTV, called MOTOACTV Golf Edition, will be available in May with final production software and over 20,000 courses preloaded.

Here are some key points about this special offer

• If you own an 8GB MOTOACTV, the next software update (live the evening of  Monday,  April 2) will include both your current multi-sport software and the beta version of the new golf capabilities. To access this software, you must download it BEFORE APRIL 16th 2012. (If you do not, and want the golf capabilities after this date, you will be able to purchase a software load with full production version of MOTOACTV’s golf capabilities later in the year.)
      • If you own a 16GB MOTOACTV you will also receive new software supporting all sports, including golf. There is no time restriction to download software.
      • Current MOTOACTV owners of 8 or 16GB devices will download course maps by state manually over Wi-Fi before using the golf features before using the golf capabilities.
      • There be a new retail version called “MOTOACTV Golf Edition” that will include the full production version of the golf capabilities plus over 20,000 courses preloaded on the product right out of the box – no course downloading required. The Golf Edition will also include all other supported MOTOACTV sports and workout capabilities and will be available in May - details of store availability to follow.
    • SweetVelvet

Is the design of the MOTOACTV Golf Edition going to be identical to the already released MOTOACTV?

• YeahBuddy
       @sweetvelvet yes all the different types of the MOTOACTV devices are the same dimensions
    • Scottyuk

Hi All,

Matt, great news about the Golf Update, I do have a couple of questions though.

1. Will the 20,000 available courses include any UK courses?
      2. I have the 8GB version, it sounds like you will be running 2 versions of 8GB software? Assuming you'll still be adding features to the multi-sport side of the software, will I still have access to upgrades to both the multi-sport and golf software after the cut off date?

I have to say, i love my motoactv, the inclusion of the golf software has really raised the bar for a fitness/sports device.

Keep up the great work!

Scotty

• gadgetie
      Scottyuk said:

2.  I have the 8GB version, it sounds like you will be running 2 versions of 8GB software? Assuming you'll still be adding features to the multi-sport side of the software, will I still have access to upgrades to both the multi-sport and golf software after the cut off date?

I was wondering the same thing. 

• Matt (Forums Manager)
      gadgetie said:
      Scottyuk said:

2.  I have the 8GB version, it sounds like you will be running 2 versions of 8GB software? Assuming you'll still be adding features to the multi-sport side of the software, will I still have access to upgrades to both the multi-sport and golf software after the cut off date?

No, there will be a single software update line for current owners who upgrade to the golf-enabled software before April 16.

• nochancenine
      Matt (Forums Manager) said:
      gadgetie said:
      Scottyuk said:

No, there will be a single software update line for current owners who upgrade to the golf-enabled software before April 16.

If there will be a single software update for current owners who upgrade to the golf-enabled software before April 16th, what type of upgrade will be available to those who do not upgrade before April 16?  I think that is what is being asked here and I'm wondering the same.

Is there only one version of the software, but upgrading before April 16th somehow "activates" the golf-enabled features that will then remain in future updates?

Thanks for any further clarification regarding this question.

• reflexxx

I see some of the docs have been posted for the release and functionality (software update 6.5)

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/product_page/faqs/p/8199,8200

• ANGRY

I bought the MOTOACTV Gold Edition through Amazon.  Upon receipt, plugged it in to charge.   It overheated and  didn't work. I  called and emailed Motorola to send a replacement asap because I needed it for a golf tournament.   On phone after getting the run around about replacement vs repair - I only had the phone about 24 hours - I requested a supervisor.  Git put on hold for over 40 minutes - no response.  I then fed exed the defective device back to them requesting a new device by return fed-ex. I also called and emailed again.  It is now two weeks and have received NOTHING and no response.

If this happens to someone else, and the problem is pervasive, let me know and we will start some legal action.

ANGRY.