MOTOROLA XOOM™ (Non-U.S.)

BETA (3G or Wi-Fi)

Question

blackPantherOS.eu
    after ICS update more feature is missing!
    Question posted August 8, 2012 by blackPantherOS.euLandline (10+ points)  , tagged MOTOROLA XOOM™
    2179 Views, 10 Comments
    Question Title:
    after ICS update more feature is missing!
    Comment:
    I apply the system update to ICS 4.0.4 and i see that more old feature is missing from system, this is bad things: - picasa images not show in gallery - picasa sync missing under google account in the 'Account & Sync' menu - facebook share not available in menu - picture or map hide/ignore feature missing in gallery - lock screen and/or lock screen icons customize not available in settings (lock screen button very very ugly) - files list, video or images filter missing in gallery, why? - browser sync does not work under account (Chrome sync working fine) a good things: now wifi not disconnecting every 30sec

Answer

• Mto

The option to sync Picasa Web Albums with the Gallery app is no longer available with the ICS update.

However, you will still be able to download your Picasa Web Albums to the Xoom using the Google+ app

which is available as a free download on the Play Store

(https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.google.android.apps.plus&hl=en)

• pacojr67

For the bookmark sync in chrome you have to log in to chrome from your PC first

• blackPantherOS.eu
      " The option to sync Picasa Web Albums with the Gallery app is no longer available with the ICS update." why? it was an usefully feature ... and i see now that not available all EU country language in settings :(
    • blackPantherOS.eu
      pacojr67: the Chrome sync working fine correctly just default Browser sync show a error message: "Sync is currently experiencing problems. It will be working again shortly" I think can't sync with stored preferences on google account ..
    • cholmcc

Pattern un-lock circles are now tiny and the line drawn is very thin.  Looks really odd, so I'm guessing it is a bug rather than a feature. 

Christian

• MattCl
      I think JB brings back the option to sync the gallery
    • MattCl
      I am actually not sure whether the gallery sync option is missing from ICS or omitted by Moto in ICS outside the US, I haven't read anywhere that this is missing from the stock ICS in the US, I guess we can ask.
    • blackPantherOS.eu
      cholmcc: i attached an image from the ugly, not transparent, not movingable unlock key... MattCI: missing more useful good option, the Cool 3D gallery or ICS Gallery available in google playground , maybe an alternative solutions to someone like me
    • Chacalau

" The option to sync Picasa Web Albums with the Gallery app is no longer available with the ICS update." 

This is too much!

I patiently and anxiously waited for the ICS update to roll out to my wifi Xoom here in Australia... holding on to the idea that Motorola were doing the right thing, they were testing it to work properly, and be fully compatible with what ever it needed to be compatible with. I followed their thread on Facebook. I checked their website, and these forums regularly. I held onto the notion that it would all come together in due course and time.

And then, while others were reporting across the world that their Xoom was getting Jelly Bean, i was just starting to play around with the new ICS update to my Xoom which had been pushed out just a week earlier... and you know what i found?... my picasa albums were not showing up in the Gallery app anymore. I deleted my account, thinking it must have got a setting wrong somewhere, and I started from scratch, and got the same problem.

Then I find out that this is intended functionality. Motorola decided to push non US users to use the Google + app photos option instead. ***?!

That was too much. I know that the default Android 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich OS has this functionality, but i did not have it on my newly updated Xoom - Google device.

So, i decided to find another way. I could root it... but i didn't really know which rom to use, and i wouldnt get the new updates from google from then on... but wait, i wasnt getting the updates from google anyway, i was getting updates from Motorola.

It was then i realised that Motorola couldn't be counted on to improve my device with their updates and i decided to GEDify my Xoom.

Now that's its done, and its received all the OTA updates up to Jelly Bean, i can't believe i waited so long, and i'm truely disappointed with Motorola Australia.

My updates will come directly from google from now on... and thats what i thought i was getting when i boung my Xoom in the first place.

• docbrown
      Chacalau said:

" The option to sync Picasa Web Albums with the Gallery app is no longer available with the ICS update." 

This is too much!

I patiently and anxiously waited for the ICS update to roll out to my wifi Xoom here in Australia... holding on to the idea that Motorola were doing the right thing, they were testing it to work properly, and be fully compatible with what ever it needed to be compatible with. I followed their thread on Facebook. I checked their website, and these forums regularly. I held onto the notion that it would all come together in due course and time.

And then, while others were reporting across the world that their Xoom was getting Jelly Bean, i was just starting to play around with the new ICS update to my Xoom which had been pushed out just a week earlier... and you know what i found?... my picasa albums were not showing up in the Gallery app anymore. I deleted my account, thinking it must have got a setting wrong somewhere, and I started from scratch, and got the same problem.

Then I find out that this is intended functionality. Motorola decided to push non US users to use the Google + app photos option instead. ***?!

That was too much. I know that the default Android 4.04 Ice Cream Sandwich OS has this functionality, but i did not have it on my newly updated Xoom - Google device.

So, i decided to find another way. I could root it... but i didn't really know which rom to use, and i wouldnt get the new updates from google from then on... but wait, i wasnt getting the updates from google anyway, i was getting updates from Motorola.

It was then i realised that Motorola couldn't be counted on to improve my device with their updates and i decided to GEDify my Xoom.

Now that's its done, and its received all the OTA updates up to Jelly Bean, i can't believe i waited so long, and i'm truely disappointed with Motorola Australia.

My updates will come directly from google from now on... and thats what i thought i was getting when i boung my Xoom in the first place.

Hello Chacalau,

The decision to drop support for syncing Picasa with the Gallery was made by Google and affects all devices. As noted in my other post on this subject (https://forums.motorola.com/posts/341c1bb5c1), the Google forum has numerous posts by owners of all makes and models of Android devices.

-Doc