Question

Azzair113
    who have problems with the phone rebooting itself?Answered
    Question posted June 21, 2012 by Azzair113Two-Way Pager (40+ points) 
    869 Views, 23 Comments
    Question Title:
    who have problems with the phone rebooting itself?
    Comment:

I was downloading an app when my phone just automatically froze and none of my buttons work and when I tried to turn the screen off or power it off it wouldnt. so i let it stay glitched and didnt mess with it when my phone automatically turned off and rebooted itself

Best Answer

TraptVICTIM

Yes, I have had this issue happen as well.  This use to happen with my Bionic a couple times a week, once I moved from the Bionic to my Razr it does not happen as much.  I have put a couple apps to monitor my Ram / processer.  I have noticed that my reboots occur when they are peaked, which is when using the LapDock for an extended period of time.  A fix that worked for me was to make sure I rebooted my phone every Sunday (or once a week) to clear out the phones memory.  I rarely have an issue if I preform the weekly reboot.

Answer

• Smellslikemichigan

i've only had my maxx freeze and reboot a couple times, but then again, i've only had it since may 14. given enough time, i'm sure i will see it again. it used to happen on a fairly regular basis with my droid X

• TraptVICTIM

Yes, I have had this issue happen as well.  This use to happen with my Bionic a couple times a week, once I moved from the Bionic to my Razr it does not happen as much.  I have put a couple apps to monitor my Ram / processer.  I have noticed that my reboots occur when they are peaked, which is when using the LapDock for an extended period of time.  A fix that worked for me was to make sure I rebooted my phone every Sunday (or once a week) to clear out the phones memory.  I rarely have an issue if I preform the weekly reboot.

• eaccents

None yet.  Had my device since March.

I reboot every day for 5-10 minutes, and I only download reputable apps.

• grandsport
      eaccents said:

None yet.  Had my device since March.

I reboot every day for 5-10 minutes, and I only download reputable apps.

Same here - every day. Plus other weekly routine maintenance (wipe data cache, etc...). Never a reboot unless I initiated it.

• johnleb

My phone just started doing the same thing.  It started rebooting itself while updating apps. I did a clear system cache today. I hope it fixes the problem before I download ICS.

• theonlycure

I used to have reboot problems which went away after I ditched the Otterbox case... back of the phone felt very hot when using thre case. If you're not using a case you might want to do a factory reset. Painfull but might work. Could try removing whatever app using the most memory or if you have another task manage running beside the stock one; remove it... may be killing essential processes. My two cents.

• johnleb

I also have an Otterbox case.  Do you think the phone is over-heating from the case?

• mineolasmitty

Never had this phone to reboot. I had this problem several times a day with both the Thunderbird and the Revolution. That is why I changed phones along with the great impovement in battery life.

• theonlycure
      johnleb said:

I also have an Otterbox case.  Do you think the phone is over-heating from the case?

Yes. It solved my reboots until after one of the OTA updates started random reboots again, fixed by factory reset.

• CarlosRiley

I haven't had this problem, but as far as the resolution of rebooting (from traptVICTIM's answer)... Makes me wish there was a smart action script to reboot the device on a regular basis.  I know that there are many who would argue it's not needed.  But, since I'm seldom awake at 4AM, it would be nice to just have the phone reboot each morning (or once a week), just as a preventative measure.

• grandsport
      johnleb said:

That is a possibility. Nothing against that or similar types of cases, but they do seal the phone up so tight, there is no place for the heat build-up to escape. Friend of mine had that case and noticed when he was playing games the phone would get really hot and in some cases shut down all together. Once he removed the case, the problem went away. Phone still got warm, but never got hot to the point it would shut down. He still used the case, but removes it when playing games or during heavy use.

• eaccents
      CarlosRiley said:

I haven't had this problem, but as far as the resolution of rebooting (from traptVICTIM's answer)... Makes me wish there was a smart action script to reboot the device on a regular basis.  I know that there are many who would argue it's not needed.  But, since I'm seldom awake at 4AM, it would be nice to just have the phone reboot each morning (or once a week), just as a preventative measure.

Not sure, but I think root access is required to auto-reboot.  

One of my apps offers this option (auto reboot) for rooted devices, but as I'm not willing to modify my device (and void the warranty) I never venture down that pathway....

• theonlycure
      CarlosRiley said:

.  But, since I'm seldom awake at 4AM, it would be nice to just have the phone reboot each morning (or once a week), just as a preventative measure.

Android is Java on top of Linux. Shouldn't ever have to reboot unless OTA update or maybe a bad behaving app. 

• TDL1068

I have this same reboot problem after apps are updated. I was searching the forums before posting and was about to post the same thing until I found this post. Let me start by saying that I've done the things suggested by the other folks on here. I power cycle my phone once a week at a minimum, sometimes twice. I have cleared my cache partition a few times before and once just today since the reboot happend again last night after updating a couple apps! The reboot has happened after clearing the cache some time ago, but I can not say how soon after the cache clean it happend. Maybe the cache becomes to cluttered over time and cache cleaning is needed on a  somewhat regular (every few months?) basis? Not sure about that, but seems to me there is a problem of some type. If if was a software bug you would think it would happen more often. It's just a random, occasional issue. One thing to note is that my Norton Virus Protection scans the apps for malware after each app install and before the next downloads. If the CPU is working hard and RAM is maxed with running apps etc. is that a possible issue like a previous posts suggests? Not sure, but if it is then how do you avoid that? You can't upgrade RAM or the CPU. BTW, I did a Google search for this issue and a Developer forum website also mentioned having this issue with nobody offering a resolution. If the developers can't figure it out I think we're going to need Motorola or Google's Android team to step in to sort it out. Just thoughts.

• bjflynn05

I've had reboots at times when using Foxfi for a extended time and sometimes it will reboot after any app updates