Discussion

    DansDroid
    Post Bionic ICS problems/issues in this thread
    Discussion posted October 19, 2012 by DansDroidÜBERXprt (12,000+ points) , last edited December 7, 2012 , tagged DROID BIONIC™ by Motorola, Verizon, Verizon Wireless
    8701 Views, 541 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Post Bionic ICS problems/issues in this thread
    Comment:

    If you are having problems after the Ice Cream Sandwich OTA install on your phone, please post them here.   Thanks.   --- Dan

    UPDATE:

    Here are a couple of suggestions that have helped with specific upgrade problems reported:

    • If you get the following message: "An update is currently being downloaded.You will be notified when the download is complete," and it doesn't clear up...
      • Toggle Airplane mode on and off -- it should start again.
    • If your Bionic is stuck on "Upgrading Media database"...
    • Most importantly, be patient!  If you have many media files on your phone, especially the external microSDHC, the process can be quite long, i.e. a few hours!
      • Pull the SD card -- your upgrade should complete and then you can put the card back in.
      • If you continue to have problems...
      • Main screen Menu > Manage apps >All  > Media storage >clear data.
      • Launch "My music" - it may take a few minutes to load music

    Answer

    • obsidianfirefly

      I'm getting occasional freezes on it.  After it freezes for a few minutes it'll restart on its own.  Before I had issues with updating or downloading new apps, where it would hang on the 100% downloaded mark and not move on to install.  I tried a battery pull and that helped speed things up a bit but every once in awhile I'm still getting a freeze

    • DansDroid
      obsidianfirefly said:

      I'm getting occasional freezes on it.  After it freezes for a few minutes it'll restart on its own.  Before I had issues with updating or downloading new apps, where it would hang on the 100% downloaded mark and not move on to install.  I tried a battery pull and that helped speed things up a bit but every once in awhile I'm still getting a freeze

      View original


      Are you now running the Bionic ICS OTA that was pushed to your phone?  I need to clarify before I can give you some suggestions.    --- Dan

    • obsidianfirefly

      Yep, I woke up to it this morning.  I had signed up for the soak test but I never got any e-mail after that telling me where I should post issues so I thought it might be fine to post here.

    • Swoops

      I found doing a cache clear and/or FDR after an update dramatically eliminates most issues that arise with software upgrades. Something to keep in mind if you guys run intova lot of bugs.

    • obsidianfirefly
      Swoops said:

      I found doing a cache clear and/or FDR after an update dramatically eliminates most issues that arise with software upgrades. Something to keep in mind if you guys run intova lot of bugs.

      View original

      Thanks, I am definitely considering it.  It seems like it'll be the best option to make sure my transition is smooth.  I just hate doing it since this is my 5th replacement Bionic in the past month so I sorta get on edge whenever I have to go through the process of getting my phone back to how I want it.

    • DansDroid
      obsidianfirefly said:

      Yep, I woke up to it this morning.  I had signed up for the soak test but I never got any e-mail after that telling me where I should post issues so I thought it might be fine to post here.

      View original


      You *should* be able to perform a forced reboot on your phone now (a nice ICS feature, BTW, I haven't received it yet for the Bionic so I assume it works the way it does on other ICS phones I have tested), by concurrently depressing the power on button and the volume down button.  In the first few seconds your phone will capture a screen shot and in approximately 10 seconds it will perform a forced reboot.  This is great for eliminating any volatile files  and file fragments that may be left over after an install.  I generally always use a FDR as a last resort, but, having said that, sometimes it is the only solution.    --- Dan

    • obsidianfirefly
      DansDroid said:
      obsidianfirefly said:

      Yep, I woke up to it this morning.  I had signed up for the soak test but I never got any e-mail after that telling me where I should post issues so I thought it might be fine to post here.

      View original


      You *should* be able to perform a forced reboot on your phone now (a nice ICS feature, BTW, I haven't received it yet for the Bionic so I assume it works the way it does on other ICS phones I have tested), by concurrently depressing the power on button and the volume down button.  In the first few seconds your phone will capture a screen shot and in approximately 10 seconds it will perform a forced reboot.  This is great for eliminating any volatile files  and file fragments that may be left over after an install.  I generally always use a FDR as a last resort, but, having said that, sometimes it is the only solution.    --- Dan

      View original

      So I tried that and was able to take a screenshot but it would not reboot.  I looked it up on google and found that sometimes you can hold volume down first and then power and it'll reboot also but that didn't work either.  I then tried both volume up AND down AND power and that seemed to work.  I'll keep you updated on how the device works after that

    • DansDroid
      obsidianfirefly said:
      DansDroid said:
      obsidianfirefly said:

      Yep, I woke up to it this morning.  I had signed up for the soak test but I never got any e-mail after that telling me where I should post issues so I thought it might be fine to post here.

      View original


      You *should* be able to perform a forced reboot on your phone now (a nice ICS feature, BTW, I haven't received it yet for the Bionic so I assume it works the way it does on other ICS phones I have tested), by concurrently depressing the power on button and the volume down button.  In the first few seconds your phone will capture a screen shot and in approximately 10 seconds it will perform a forced reboot.  This is great for eliminating any volatile files  and file fragments that may be left over after an install.  I generally always use a FDR as a last resort, but, having said that, sometimes it is the only solution.    --- Dan

      View original

      So I tried that and was able to take a screenshot but it would not reboot.  I looked it up on google and found that sometimes you can hold volume down first and then power and it'll reboot also but that didn't work either.  I then tried both volume up AND down AND power and that seemed to work.  I'll keep you updated on how the device works after that

      View original


      Thanks for the fast feed back.  I'm surprised that they changed the forced reboot procedure.  Are you sure you concurrently depressed both the power on button and the volume down button for at least 10 seconds to initiate the forced reboot?  It's entirely possible, of course, that they have changed the procedure from the other ICS devices I have tested.   Appreciate any future feedback on the results of the forced reboot.   --- Dan

    • obsidianfirefly
      DansDroid said:
       
      Thanks for the fast feed back.  I'm surprised that they changed the forced reboot procedure.  Are you sure you concurrently depressed both the power on button and the volume down button for at least 10 seconds to initiate the forced reboot?  It's entirely possible, of course, that they have changed the procedure from the other ICS devices I have tested.   Appreciate any future feedback on the results of the forced reboot.   --- Dan
      View original

      I just tried it again.  I only get a screenshot when I do power and volume down, I held it for about 20 seconds.  I just tried the power and both volume keys and it worked again.  I think it's better this way anyways since you won't be forced to take a screenshot if all you want is to reboot.

    • huff825

      Keep in mind this was a huge file with a lot of changes. It may take a bit to settle in. Clearing the partition cache would also be a good idea.

       

       

    • tbone732000
      obsidianfirefly said:
      DansDroid said:
       
      Thanks for the fast feed back.  I'm surprised that they changed the forced reboot procedure.  Are you sure you concurrently depressed both the power on button and the volume down button for at least 10 seconds to initiate the forced reboot?  It's entirely possible, of course, that they have changed the procedure from the other ICS devices I have tested.   Appreciate any future feedback on the results of the forced reboot.   --- Dan
      View original

      I just tried it again.  I only get a screenshot when I do power and volume down, I held it for about 20 seconds.  I just tried the power and both volume keys and it worked again.  I think it's better this way anyways since you won't be forced to take a screenshot if all you want is to reboot.

      View original

      This is good stuff. Did the freezes go away doing this? Also can you comfirm the CPU is at 1.2GHz? 

    • cinderbloke

      For the most part, ICS is a pleasure to run. It feels faster and more responsive, and the new font is great. Of course, as with any major UI change, the initial obstacle is finding stuff - some of it's been moved,  removed, or replaced. It's great being able to access more info and functions directly from the lock screen. The browser is taking some time to get used to, particularly the new way it handles windows (tabs?), and I do miss having Flash on quite a few sites. But ICS has been good so far, no resets, spontaneous reboots, flashing or solid-color screens.

      The major improvement for which I'd been waiting, however, was in data connectivity. Although the continuous bouncing between white/blue (Google server connection status) that plagued .905 appears to have been eliminated, .245 still suffers frequent data-mode switching. When it does occassionally settle, .246 is more likely to be on 3G even when 4G is available (which it will find if I cycle airplane mode, but not stick with it). (Yes, I've done multiple reboots, wiped the cache partition; done the SIM, SD card, and battery dance; and safe mode thing.)

      I have a second Bionic that I've managed to keep on .902 (by regularly dismissing the .905 update nag), and, although the UI is getting long in the tooth, it still manages to stick to 4G like glue. I used both phones side-by-side and the Bionic with.902 regularly holds on to 4G far more aggressively, so its data connectivity ends up being more reliable and consistent - and therfore, is more useful. OTOH, when .246 does manage to stay connected to 4G, speeds are regularly 2-3Mbps faster than on .902.

      Maybe JB will be the magic?

    • DansDroid
      cinderbloke said:

      For the most part, ICS is a pleasure to run. It feels faster and more responsive, and the new font is great. Of course, as with any major UI change, the initial obstacle is finding stuff - some of it's been moved,  removed, or replaced. It's great being able to access more info and functions directly from the lock screen. The browser is taking some time to get used to, particularly the new way it handles windows (tabs?), and I do miss having Flash on quite a few sites. But ICS has been good so far, no resets, spontaneous reboots, flashing or solid-color screens.

      The major improvement for which I'd been waiting, however, was in data connectivity. Although the continuous bouncing between white/blue (Google server connection status) that plagued .905 appears to have been eliminated, .245 still suffers frequent data-mode switching. When it does occassionally settle, .246 is more likely to be on 3G even when 4G is available (which it will find if I cycle airplane mode, but not stick with it). (Yes, I've done multiple reboots, wiped the cache partition; done the SIM, SD card, and battery dance; and safe mode thing.)

      I have a second Bionic that I've managed to keep on .902 (by regularly dismissing the .905 update nag), and, although the UI is getting long in the tooth, it still manages to stick to 4G like glue. I used both phones side-by-side and the Bionic with.902 regularly holds on to 4G far more aggressively, so its data connectivity ends up being more reliable and consistent - and therfore, is more useful. OTOH, when .246 does manage to stay connected to 4G, speeds are regularly 2-3Mbps faster than on .902.

      Maybe JB will be the magic?

      View original


      Thank you for taking the time to give your detailed observations of ICS.  I do recommend to everyone that they allow the new install to "soak" (there's probably a better technical explanation), but we have seen when the new OS's "settle down" oft times improvements are noticed.  I hope you will update us as time goes on with any changes you observe.   --- Dan

    • obsidianfirefly

      So just to update, I tried all of your suggestions.  I cleaned the cache and it seemed to help for a little bit but not for long.  I decided to just do a factory reset and it's been a coupel of hours now that I've been on it and I have to say things are running much better.  No problems as of yet and I'm really loving it.  Before I did the reset I did a benchmark and found that it was indeed clocked at 1.2GHz.  

      The only thing strange is that on some dark screens I can see lots of horizontal bands across the top 1/4 of the screen and they pulsate.  It's not on all dark screens though, only some.  It's not too big of an issue but I thought the reset would have gotten rid of it but it hadn't.  Either way I'm very pleased with the update so far.

    • DansDroid
      obsidianfirefly said:
      DansDroid said:
       
      Thanks for the fast feed back.  I'm surprised that they changed the forced reboot procedure.  Are you sure you concurrently depressed both the power on button and the volume down button for at least 10 seconds to initiate the forced reboot?  It's entirely possible, of course, that they have changed the procedure from the other ICS devices I have tested.   Appreciate any future feedback on the results of the forced reboot.   --- Dan
      View original

      I just tried it again.  I only get a screenshot when I do power and volume down, I held it for about 20 seconds.  I just tried the power and both volume keys and it worked again.  I think it's better this way anyways since you won't be forced to take a screenshot if all you want is to reboot.

      View original


      Thanks for clarifying the new operation of the screen capture and the forced reboot procedure on the Bionic running ICS.  I would have thought they would have stayed with the technique employed on other Motorola smart phones running ICS, but I'm sure (?) that there must be a technical reason for the change or perhaps they just refined the technique.  It does go to seemingly prove that they have enhanced ICS in some areas, for example on the Droid 4 running ICS you *have* to take the screen shot and then wait for the forced reboot after approximately 10 seconds total time.  Initially I thought their reasoning for this was in case the phone had "frozen" and you would have a screen shot of the last state the phone was in prior to the freeze.    --- Dan