Discussion

Matt (Forums Manager)
    CLIQ XT will not be upgraded to 2.1
    Discussion posted February 3, 2011 by Matt (Forums Manager)ÜBERXprt (12,000+ points) , last edited December 22, 2011
    5357 Views, 167 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    CLIQ XT will not be upgraded to 2.1
    Comment:

Today  we posted this statement on our Software Upgrade News page:  "After  comprehensive testing of the Android 2.1 upgrade for the CLIQ  XT, we  have concluded that this device will remain on Android 1.5.  We  realize  many of you were anxiously awaiting this upgrade, but we aim to  deliver  software upgrades only when it will provide a better customer   experience."

For   many of you on our forums, I know this is disappointing news. Mark and  I  were optimistic about the outcome of the CLIQ XT development process   and were also disappointed in the final result.

Our product team  members worked for months to attempt to create a  version of Android  2.1 that would perform well on the CLIQ XT. When the  software could not  meet the basic performance standards required, they  went back to the  drawing board multiple times. They gave it everything  they had. We even  took the unprecedented step of investigating the  benefits of code  provided by the independent developer community to try  to improve XT  performance. In the end, we were not able to develop a  version of  Android 2.1 for CLIQ XT that would deliver an optimal  customer  experience.

We  recognize that many of you will be frustrated by this  news. As always,  you are free to post your comments, but please keep  them civil and  within the bounds of our

site rules

Answer

• Matt (Forums Manager)

Today  we posted this statement on our Software Upgrade News page:  "After  comprehensive testing of the Android 2.1 upgrade for the CLIQ  XT, we  have concluded that this device will remain on Android 1.5.  We  realize  many of you were anxiously awaiting this upgrade, but we aim to  deliver  software upgrades only when it will provide a better customer   experience."

For   many of you on our forums, I know this is disappointing news. Mark and  I  were optimistic about the outcome of the CLIQ XT development process   and were also disappointed in the final result.

Our product team  members worked for months to attempt to create a  version of Android  2.1 that would perform well on the CLIQ XT. When the  software could not  meet the basic performance standards required, they  went back to the  drawing board multiple times. They gave it everything  they had. We even  took the unprecedented step of investigating the  benefits of code  provided by the independent developer community to try  to improve XT  performance. In the end, we were not able to develop a  version of  Android 2.1 for CLIQ XT that would deliver an optimal  customer  experience.

We  recognize that many of you will be frustrated by this  news. As always,  you are free to post your comments, but please keep  them civil and  within the bounds of our

site rules

• travisjames

How come I was able to create custom Eclair(2.1) firmware for the CLIQ, later ported over the CLIQ XT, that performs better than the official Cupcake(1.5) on both devices?

Not trying to sound hostile or anything of the sort. Just a question that I would like answered by someone on your development team for the CLIQ/CLIQ XT or by anyone who would like to take the question.

Thanks,

Travis James

• skates

All I can say is motorola just lost a 20+ year customer permanently, given the performance of the unmentionable items I personally have tried, this is a cop out, if it makes motor feel any better though, t-mo is also losing a customer because they honestly should choose their business partners better. Just out of curiousity, given this, will motorola release the source codes so that the community that has proven infinitely more reliable can continue to work on it...since I'm now stuck with this piece of junk for another 15 months

• mdillinger

Basically what you're saying is that the Motorola Cliq XT is a piece of crap, and it's incapable of running anything other than an outdated operating system? Can I have my money back for your admitted piece of crap?

• ElSinNombre

1) Anyone who believed the update would come after almost ONE YEAR is really naive. They just wanted to extend timeframe as much as they could so then people would get tired and move to other devices such as the Cliq 2 or Defy.

2) Third Party developers did a WAY BETTER job than Motorola's Devs. Thanks to them we have an unofficial 2.1 working 99.99% and its performance is terrific, thanks to them we don't have a totally junk device.

3) You've lost a long time customer. I'm not buying any Motorola Device ever again, not even the Atrix.

4) It doesn't really matter because most folks have already got rid of their Cliq XT's or rooted the phone and installed the above mentioned ROMs.

5) Thanks for giving us false hopes for almost a whole year.

I'm not angry because I've been running the above mentioned 2.1 for a long time. But what you just did is a slap in the face to those that still believed in your lies.

I know this will probably get censored or deleted. It's not an insult to the Community Managers that moderate this forum, but to the people in charge of the update. So don't take it personal, I bet you're as disappointed as we are, but you're just the visible face of Motorola.

PS: Tell whomever is in charge to have the decency of releasing the  source code so developers from point above can fix what your own devs  couldn't do.

Thank you and have a wonderful day.

• SilencerX

The same Samsung Behold story.

• jmwaziri

I am a CLIQ owner and can symathize with you XT owners. Although the CLIQ has been updated to 2.1, I had already decided that my future Android phone would be a Nexus phone. Thanks to my experience with the CLIQ, I am not buying any Moto phones again - especially with the locked bootloaders. Moto defeats the purpose of Android's openness.

Manufacturers are taking advantage of us by pushing us to sell new  phones every 6-12 months by deliberately being lazy with updates. I can deal with carrier coverage issues, not having T-Mo's "4G" on Nexus S etc. as long as I have the latest and greatest version of Android - and that is only possible with the Nexus phones.

I strongly recommend to all those who care about Android OS updates to go with the Nexus phones (even though I hate T-Mo for their spotty coverage in my area). Dump Moto, dump Samsung - dump all who are reckless with OS updates. Show your support to Google by buying Nexus so hopefully there will be more Nexus phones on the shelves.

• servbotx

jmwaziri wrote:

Dump Moto, dump Samsung - dump all who are reckless with OS updates. Show your support to Google by buying Nexus so hopefully there will be more Nexus phones on the shelves.

You do realize that the Nexus S is made and developed by Samsung?

• jmwaziri

ѕзгνвοτ χ wrote:

You do realize that the Nexus S is made and developed by Samsung?

Yes.

It doesn't matter who makes Nexus 1/S...they are Google phones, supported by Google - which is what my point was.

• stein1977

I upgraded my phone in June to the CLiq XT so I am stuck with this phone for 2 years!  Is there anything that Motorola or T-mobile will do to compensate its customers.  I am still under my one year warranty, can I get a replacement comparable phone?  I am having some slight problems with this phone and have already needed a replacement for this phone.  Previous XT whould just continue in a loop and restart by itself.  Is there anything that can be done????

• servbotx

Sorry, I was confused by your call to dump Samsung in the previous sentence.

• jmwaziri

stein1977 wrote:

..Is there anything that Motorola or T-mobile will do to compensate its customers.  I am still under my one year warranty, can I get a replacement comparable phone? 

Umm good luck with that!

Some people here have said that they were offered a different phone by T-Mo after their 3rd replacement. It will be something of equal or lesser value - so don't count on getting anything nice. One thing for sure is that it will be a lot of hassle dealing with T-Mo trying to get 3 replacements (or 2 more in your case) and then persuading them on getting something "better".

If you really can't live without a better Android experience, Craigslist or eBay might be your best friends. Sell the XT for as much as you can.

• c00ller

Possible steps/lessons Motorola should take from this:

1) Hire more competent programmers. It should never take a manufacturer as long as this did to upgrade a device to a newer version of Android, and still fail. When Samsung ditched their Behold II for 1.6, at least they admitted they didn't even try doing any further work. To be blunt, Motorola's "progress" has just been atrocious.

2) Ditch the source of the problem: MOTOBLUR.

3) Motorola's forum representatives should have been allowed to give us more frequent updates. Don't forget what Android is all about: OPENNESS.

Also, as mentioned above, PLEASE release the source code of whatever has been completed up to this point. The modding community could benefit quite a lot. Again, openness is Android's greatest strength.

• mowaca

I will never buy another Motorola smartphone, nor will I recommend that anyone I know do.  Its pretty simple: there's only one Android handset manufacturer that is supporting its full line of phones, and its definitely not Motorola.

I'm pretty lucky because I'm not on a contract so I can just put my Cliq XT in a box today to sell and move on to my next handset, but boy, I do not envy the T-mobile customer care reps who have to deal with post-paid customer who are stuck with this phone for another year.

Those customers who signed up in February, 2010, who could have paid just $50 more for a Nexus One, instead chose a Cliq XT and now the Nexus is worth about $300+ on the used market right now.  Cliq XT, $60 (and diving toward the single digits next month). 

Today you can buy on-contract a Nexus S with 2.3 for $199, or a G2 for $0 vs. a Cliq 2 with only 2.2 for $99.  I expect that $99 price will go to zero next month, but no one in there right mind will buy a phone that will not be supported by the manufacturer. 

• BahnBurner

I know this will be deleted, but honestly, I dont' care, and it needs to be said anyway.

Motorola, you are nothing more than a bunch of lying, cheating, two-faced. I bought this phone under the promise that the 2.1 update would be released 2Q2010. I have just talked my fiance, as well as serveral friends and co-workers, out of purchasing the Atrix because of this situation. I plan on doing everything possible to damage your reputation, and sales as much as I can. I'm sure I probably won't affect 1/10 of 1% of your sales, but it's better than just sitting idlely by, much the way your devs and forum moderators did while you continued to push back the time frame for this update. Atleast Samsung had the decency to push out an update for the Vibrant eventually. I'm honestly glad I switched to it back in July after the first time you pushed back this update.

I would suggest you make things right with your customers before you lose them. Don't forget that before the Droid and Cliq, you were knocking on bankruptcy's door. It'd be a shame to see you back there, not that you wouldn't deserve it.

Viva la @Official_Moto!

• Edited slightly for language.

Message was edited by: Matt (Forums Manager)