Question

nemesis999
    ICS Update in Australia
    Question posted June 21, 2012 by nemesis999Telegraph  , tagged MOTOROLA RAZR™
    1963 Views, 23 Comments
    Question Title:
    ICS Update in Australia
    Comment:

Motorola Australia have posted on Facebook that there are delays to the rollout of ICS on the RAZR and that it will not roll out during Q2. 

www.facebook.com/motorolaaus

1. Can this be confirmed?

2. If so, what is the new rollout date/quarter/decade?

Answer

• maara

Surprised? I am not because the NEVER stand their word and because the roms for australia and rest of emea are nearly the same this probably means that the emea ics will be delayed as well... :-( or its not the case?

You had more than 6 months to build a rom which some developers are able to make within few weeks...

• roccon

pretty poor form from Motorola. 

and another nail in the coffin for the Android operating system. Such a fragmented ecosystem.

• servbotx

The information contained herein is provided for information purposes only and is intended only to outline Motorola Mobility’s presently anticipated general technology direction, and is therefore subject to change. The information communicated is not a commitment or an obligation to deliver any product, product feature, software upgrade or functionality and Motorola Mobility reserves the right to make changes to the content and timing of any product, product feature or software release. The software functionality and features provided by a specific version of the Android operating system may vary by device and manufacturer.

These things happen, it will be pushed to Q3. When in Q3? Nobody knows, obviously things can change. 

As for the comment about developers; there is no red tape, checks, business partners, alpha/beta testing or soak tests to worry about. It gets compiled and stuck on the web. Hardly a comparison. Normal time frame for development to release is 6-9 months. 

• maara
      servbotx said:

These things happen, it will be pushed to Q3. When in Q3? Nobody knows, obviously things can change. 

Don't take it bad but if I were in your position (probably have an unlocekd razr which we get chance to get AFTER we all bought regular razrs and most likely using ics on it from the early stage of developement) I also wouldn't care if its released Q2 or Q3.... But I DO care! When the phone was introduced, it was advertised that the ICS will be there 6 weeks after the ics is released but until now we have shi nothing....

To be honest I am so disappointed but this situation about the software upgrades which are getting moved and moved that I am in mood to throw the phone out of the window (and probably hope that I will hit some of the developers) if it was not so expensive....

• Divij28

What the Hell is this, No update in Q2?? What are you guys thinkin Half  of the year has already passed and you say no update,Even the Droid Razr in USA is set to get update on June 27. Well i think you only care about US Customers. 

• servbotx

When the phone was introduced, it was advertised that the ICS will be there 6 weeks after the ics is released but until now we have nothing....

Nothing like this would have ever been officially made. There is no possible way it could have been, ICS code didn't go out until after the phone was released and the process, as I said before, takes 6-9 months on average.

Unless you can back up your claim with a link, I am calling shenanigans on this one.

• maara
      servbotx said:

Unless you can back up your claim with a link, I am calling shenanigans on this one.

Call it however you want but I call it unproffesionality...

• servbotx

So it turns out, you were half right.

There was a statement back when the RAZR was announced that gave a 6 week time table.

However; this time table was for Motorola to release a schedule with which devices would and would not be receiving an upgrade to ICS, not the upgrade itself.

The initial statement, which was done over Twitter, was poorly worded and later clarified.

• maara

It doesn't matter who is or who isn't right as it solves nothing... The fact is that other manufacturers are already releasing ics even for some legacy (galaxy s2 and some xperias) devices but motorola still have no ics for its flagship and now it seems that there will be another delay (second or third in a row...). You must understand what does it mean to all the users and all the complaints about that... :-(

Anyway - could you please specify if the ics will be delayed only for australia for some reason or if there is some technical issue so all the gsm xt910 are affected and all of them will be delayed?

thanks

• Divij28
      maara said:

It doesn't matter who is or who isn't right as it solves nothing... The fact is that other manufacturers are already releasing ics even for some legacy (galaxy s2 and some xperias) devices but motorola still have no ics for its flagship and now it seems that there will be another delay (second or third in a row...). You must understand what does it mean to all the users and all the complaints about that... :-(

Anyway - could you please specify if the ics will be delayed only for australia for some reason or if there is some technical issue so all the gsm xt910 are affected and all of them will be delayed?

thanks

Yeah Right tell us, is the delay only for Australia or Worldwide Razr?

• servbotx

I can't give out any details but it won't be only Austrailia. More details will come in the next several days from the regions affected.

I know it doesn't help get the upgrade any faster, but really there's nothing anyone can do. It will come, it's just going to take a little more time.

The fact is that other manufacturers are already releasing ics even for some legacy (galaxy s2 and some xperias) devices but motorola still have no ics for its flagship and now it seems that there will be another delay (second or third in a row...). You must understand what does it mean to all the users and all the complaints about that... :-(

As someone with lots of phones from several different OEMs, some with upgrades to ICS.. I wish they would have taken some more time to work the bugs out before it was pushed to users. I have both a Samsung i9100 and N7000 and the ICS upgrades to both devices is buggy. As for Samsung, they had the advantage of having ICS code for far longer than other OEMs due to their involvement with the Galaxy Nexus. All others had to wait until it was released.

This is the first and only delay to the timeframe that was originally given (Q2). 

• mattcooper348

Well if there is bugs... release it with bugs.. we give feedback & you rectify.... 

I would be sacked if i said Q2 for my report then go actually there might be a few bugs so i will take another 3 months. don't know when....

• servbotx

Yeah, that won't happen.

The bugs wouldn't be fixed for another 6 months and you'd be back in here complaining about it. How does that help anyone?

They'll be fixed (if signiicant), resubmitted for review and then released. That's how it works.

Also; the Q2 date was not a hard date, but an approximation. 

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/b73468a6cf?commentId=618460#618460

• mattcooper348

Thats because people think it's acceptable for bugs to be fixed 6 months later! it's not...

I'm a massive Motorola Fan - HUGE - but this annoys me so much! Iphones all get updated within 1 day. They don't fall behind on schedules - this is the company that take your customers. Motorola can't update a phone within 9 months? They said it's because of Carrier approval etc.. They are SIM free models - release ICS already if Verizon can receive the update....

Otherwise why pay more for a SIM free model....

• servbotx

No, it's because the process that needs to happen for the update to even happen, takes that long.

I am not going to get into it, you're set in your opinon and that's fine. I am merely here telling you how it is going to be.

http://gizmodo.com/5884157/why-updates-for-your-android-phone-take-so-long

Yes, there are SIM-free models, but those same phones are on carrier networks that need to give their approval as well. You pay more for not being locked to a specific carrier, it has nothing to do with when your phone will or will not be updated.