Question

bearsgal9
    SD Card Storage
    Question posted December 9, 2011 by bearsgal9Telegraph , last edited January 5, 2012
    7574 Views, 15 Comments
    Question Title:
    SD Card Storage
    Comment:

I purchased a new 16GB SD card for the phone and I want to install it... However I don't know what on my phone is on the internal memory and what is on the SD card that came with it.  I don't want to lose my APPS or contacts or anything like that... HELP!

Answer

• Eagle328

You cant access the internal memory so there is nothing to worry about. You

just have to insert the card and then format it and mount it. You will be

good to go. Also don't use the apps to SD feature as there is a known issue

with apps disappearing from it.

• AlphaDog

You can plug the phone into computer, copy card to pc, then copy this data back to new card.

There should not be any contacts on the SD card. The only thing on the card is music or media you put there. Some apps may store data there too.

• KramSacul

Contacts should be on the internal memory.  Move your apps to phone via settings>manage applications and going to On SD Card.  If there's any green checkmarks select it and move apps to phone.

• a2916

Quick and easy way to find out if any apps are on your sdcard

From the homescreen press the menu button/settings/apps/manage apps/on sd card

Then scroll down the list and any that have a green box next to them are on your sdcard. If you then tap said app, you will have the option of moving it to your internal storage

• Roshan_A
      Eagle328 said:

You cant access the internal memory so there is nothing to worry about. You

just have to insert the card and then format it and mount it. You will be

good to go. Also don't use the apps to SD feature as there is a known issue

with apps disappearing from it.

I recently ran in to the infamous class 10 issue on my Transcend 32gb stock rom unrooted MB865 after 4 months of glitch free use. I just wanted to know what exactly is the known issue for "Apps 2 SD' application. I ask this because if I use a class 4 which is supposed to work fine, but if I then start moving apps using this app to the SD will there be a problem? If yes then which program should I use to move apps to SD as else what use is such a mammoth 32gb storage for besides music & videos as I keep installing a lot of apps.  

Also since I now want to move all contents i.e including all apps which were moved to it (class 10) as allowed by developers to new card (class 4) how should I go about it?

1) Would I need to just Copy the whole card as is in to a pc folder the paste the same on to the new card?? 
      2) or is it a better idea to redownload all apps once again? I have back up on the card for all my apps from "Apps2SD" but then I believe it's backs up all version of any single app then how should I go about it restoring apps on to the new card ensuring I am restoring the latest version as it stores multiple previous version backups as well? 
      3) Before using the card for the first time for optimum performance is it required to format the card from within the phone or from PC using a tool like "Autoformat".exe (also what's the deal on NTFS,FAT formats, which one is better and how to go about it?) Any idea on what kind of file system does the complete format option of autoformat.exe available on the transcend site do?

Would appreciate inputs from all. Thanks

• AlphaDog

@Roshan - if you just do a full copy of the card you should be fine - but you need to make sure htat you copy everything including hidden files.

As for Format choices - it really should not matter how or where it is formatted. As for type of format, you don't usually get a choice - FAT32 is the best for removable storage and the only thing supported by all devices.

No idea what transcend tools do, but again, if you don't do FAT32 then the card will not work in both PC and phone. NTFS won't work in phone, and the new ExtFat won't work in most phones and only some windows OS.

The issue I have seen is about writing to the card.. it acts read only or can't be read until the card is unmounted and remounted. I have never moved apps to a storage card - no need to for me. Plus many apps don't run right or they use extra power keeping the card bus powered.

• Roshan_A
      AlphaDog said:

@Roshan - if you just do a full copy of the card you should be fine - but you need to make sure htat you copy everything including hidden files.

As for Format choices - it really should not matter how or where it is formatted. As for type of format, you don't usually get a choice - FAT32 is the best for removable storage and the only thing supported by all devices.

No idea what transcend tools do, but again, if you don't do FAT32 then the card will not work in both PC and phone. NTFS won't work in phone, and the new ExtFat won't work in most phones and only some windows OS.

The issue I have seen is about writing to the card.. it acts read only or can't be read until the card is unmounted and remounted. I have never moved apps to a storage card - no need to for me. Plus many apps don't run right or they use extra power keeping the card bus powered.

@ Alpha, thanks but I still have following questions now in reference to 32gb Class 4 which I intend to buy :

1) Will 32 gb class 4 work without any hitches at all on Atrix 2? There is no 32 gb class 6 available of any brand,correct?

2)) Does Atrix 2 not support running of apps on SD i.e by using a app like "Apps 2 SD to move apps from phone to sd card"? I mean "Apps 2 SD moves the apps but will it yet cause problems even in class 4 (class 10 is inherently an issue I completely understand). If yes then how is that for EA games redemption (Asia Model) the phone necessarily asks for inserting SD card (I am now without inserting an SD card) & also many senior developers who say apps are not supposed to be moved to SD card, they themselves in their posts write (in reference to ICS devlp work) "move the file to root dir of your SD"?? Isn't that contradicting themselves. What is the deal here?

3) How do I make sure I copy hidden files as well (I recall having used the encryption feature for the SD card, how will that affect in the copy paste process)?

Surely would appreciate your & other members inputs. Thanks

• macgiobuin

I have a sandisk 32 gb class 4 card which works flawlessly.

• Roshan_A
      macgiobuin said:

I have a sandisk 32 gb class 4 card which works flawlessly.

Mac,

My Transcend 32 gb class 10 worked flawlessly for almost more than three months after which rebooting constantly in case phone switches off started to occur and that too was resolved mysteriously from time to time but now it totally does not accept the class 10 causing reboots.

Few questions for you :

1) How long have you been using this card?

2) Did you first format it before first use?  if yes via pc or via phone? Any particular format of the card or software you used that you might want to share.

3) Do you transfer Apps to sd using the app "App2SD or LinktoSD"? and if yes are you not facing issues like icon disappearance from home screen or apps disappearing etc? Coz my u/s from reading various posts of senior members is do not install apps to sd card.

Thanks for your help & advice.

• macgiobuin

I am NOT tech support in any way, shape or form. In fact, if it can be broken, I will find a way. With that disclaimer, here are my answers:

1. I have had the 32gb card for about 6 months (since mid-February).

2.  I did NOT format the card manually. I just put it in my phone and hit a few "yes" or "no" buttons and it was set....maybe that's a clue to the mystery?

3. In other threads/forums, it has ben suggested that apps should NOT be transferred to the sd card, so I haven't. With 8 gb of internal memory, I haven't come close to using all the internal space and I have 109 apps on my phone.  

I use my storage for music, pictures, forms, etc. I have had no issues with anything disappearing nor have I had any issues in retreiving the stored data.  Hope some of this helps.

• Roshan_A
      macgiobuin said:

I am NOT tech support in any way, shape or form. In fact, if it can be broken, I will find a way. With that disclaimer, here are my answers:

1. I have had the 32gb card for about 6 months (since mid-February).

2.  I did NOT format the card manually. I just put it in my phone and hit a few "yes" or "no" buttons and it was set....maybe that's a clue to the mystery?

3. In other threads/forums, it has ben suggested that apps should NOT be transferred to the sd card, so I haven't. With 8 gb of internal memory, I haven't come close to using all the internal space and I have 109 apps on my phone.  

I use my storage for music, pictures, forms, etc. I have had no issues with anything disappearing nor have I had any issues in retreiving the stored data.  Hope some of this helps.

Thanks Mac & I am completely aware that this forum is frequented by fellow members with Senior members stepping in with some additional info. Appreciate your pointwise replies, sure helps. Now if only someone can advise me if they have been using Apps on the SD card for a long duration on 32 gb class 4 :) BTW out of the 8, user has 4 gigs alloted. 

• Eagle328
      Right now I'm using a class 10 32gb card and have used apps to SD. I have not had a problem so far but stay away from cheap cards. If you use apps to SD make sure you read the instructions and don't move any app that it warns you not to.
    • Roshan_A
      Eagle328 said:
      Right now I'm using a class 10 32gb card and have used apps to SD. I have not had a problem so far but stay away from cheap cards. If you use apps to SD make sure you read the instructions and don't move any app that it warns you not to.

I am now flummoxed Eagle, I believe you, but time & again I have been told & with my own experience too, it is evident class 10 just doesn't work & in case it does then I have been told just wait for your troubles to begin which exactly happened after 4 blissful months. I bought a brand new 32gb Transcend Class 10 from a reputed online retailer in a totally sealed condition but yet this issue. 

& I only move those apps for which I used to get an auto notify upon install from App2SD that this app can be moved to the sd card, moved only those and none else but no go in the end :(

• Eagle328
      I used to use a class 10 by A data and it had many issues. I went to a class 4 and never had any problems. I then went and bought a High end card class 10 and it's been fine so far. But a class 4 is known to not have issues. Apps to SD will also show you apps that can be moved but have a small x on the icon. This means it can be a problem if you do move it. These apps are mainly ones with with widgets or live wallpapers.
    • Roshan_A
      Eagle328 said:
      I used to use a class 10 by A data and it had many issues. I went to a class 4 and never had any problems. I then went and bought a High end card class 10 and it's been fine so far. But a class 4 is known to not have issues. Apps to SD will also show you apps that can be moved but have a small x on the icon. This means it can be a problem if you do move it. These apps are mainly ones with with widgets or live wallpapers.

ok, so what I am taking out of this is, besides ok apps one with the small x icon which shows can be moved should not be moved. I'm gonna format my 32gb class 10 pop it in & hopefully it'll be accepted by the phone, if not then class 4 with same usage guidelines because as of now the phone just reboots after booting & functioning normally for 2 mins upon popping this mint new condition Transcend card.