Discussion

infiniteMPG
    Razr Maxx Wifi IP Conflict? HELP?Answered
    Discussion posted May 23, 2012 by infiniteMPGTwo-Way Pager (40+ points) , last edited June 1, 2012
    5692 Views, 182 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Razr Maxx Wifi IP Conflict? HELP?
    Comment:

Got a Razr Maxx a few months ago and had issues getting any data services when connected to "some" wifi networks.  With my previous phone, the HTC Incredible, I connected flawlessly to all of them. Verizon support thought it was hardware related with wifi receiver so exchanged phone.... new one did the same thing. 

Been doing some digging and searching and also several hours on phone with Verizon and Motorola Support.  What it appears to be is that something in the phone is assigned a static IP address of 192.168.20.1, unfortunately this is the default factory set wifi router gateway address on many wifi routers so it connects to the wifi network BUT cannot receive any data because of the IP conflict. 

I ran the app PING & DNS and tested this with 4G and with the two wifi networks at my work which showed what I was seeing, connection but no data service.  When connected to 4G this is what I saw :

--- Apr 23, 2012 2:08:17 PM
    --- IP (rmnet1) 10.191.226.53
     --- IP (usb1) 192.168.20.1
     PING www.l.google.com (173.194.73.99) 56(84) bytes of data.
    64 bytes from vb-in-f99.1e100.net (173.194.73.99): icmp_seq=1 ttl=46 time=110 ms
    64 bytes from vb-in-f99.1e100.net (173.194.73.99): icmp_seq=2 ttl=46 time=147 ms
    64 bytes from vb-in-f99.1e100.net (173.194.73.99): icmp_seq=3 ttl=46 time=136 ms
     --- www.l.google.com ping statistics ---
    3 packets transmitted, 3 received, 0% packet loss, time 2010ms
    min = 110.901 ms
    avg = 131.876 ms
    max = 147.918 ms
    mdev = 15.512 ms

Connected to an open wifi network here and got this :

--- Apr 23, 2012 2:03:00 PM
    --- IP (tiwlan0) 192.168.100.186
    PING www.l.google.com (74.125.227.147) 56(84) bytes of data.
    3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2010ms

Then I connected to a secured wifi network here and got this :

--- Apr 23, 2012 2:09:46 PM
    --- IP (tiwlan0) 10.120.253.33
     PING www.l.google.com (173.194.37.52) 56(84) bytes of data.
    3 packets transmitted, 0 received, 100% packet loss, time 2016ms

You can see that the IP address 192.168.20.1 is static in all tests.  Read on the web many other people having this issue and how they fixed it was to change the default gateway IP address in their wifi router.  Can’t exactly walk into McDonalds, or Starbucks, or my work for that matter and ask them to change the default gateway on their wifi router because my Motorola phone has an IP conflict and can’t be changed.

The last Motorola support tech I spoke with was escalating the case but I haven’t heard back yet.  One thing he suggested it might be is that the Razr Maxx can be a mobile hotspot so it acts like a wifi router.  And this may be the default wifi gateway for the phone when IT is a wifi router.  But can’t seem to find a way to change this and not subscribed to Mobile Hotspot so can’t get in there to see what settings there are.

I have two other coworkers who have the Razr Maxx and have the exact same issues.  And with our older phones we connected and worked wifi here flawlessly.  Being in a big steel building we have a hard time getting 4G service and even when we do, we’re now tapping into our data subscription rather than free wifi. 

So looks like we upgraded to this wonderful phone so we would not be able to use wifi in a lot of places????  There has to be a way around this…. Any help?

Best Answer

techwhiz

Hi,

So the issue is this:

The USB on the phone is also a network interface. When logged in via adb and issues ifconfig you get the following:

shell@cdma_spyder:/$ ifconfig usb1

usb1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:21:00:1d:34:fb
    inet addr:192.168.20.1 Bcast:192.168.20.7 Mask:255.255.255.248
    inet6 addr: fe80::21:ff:fe1d:34fb/64 Scope:Link
    UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
    RX packets:6255 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
    TX packets:8068 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
    collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
    RX bytes:734362 (734.3 KB) TX bytes:2140397 (2.1 MB)

shell@cdma_spyder:/$

• The 192.168.20.1 is in the route table, so when you connect to WIFI and the default gateway is 192.168.20.1, it tries to send the data through the USB which will not work. The correct fix is to have a setting in the Wireless & networks that allows to either turn off this interface *OR* change the IP address to something that does not conflict. I won't go into how it can be changed because it violates the terms of the forum. 

Answer

• Battleship

Interesting.  I'll be following this thread, thanks for the heads up Infinite. 

• grandsport

I have never experienced any problems connecting to wifi networks anywhere I go as long as they are open networks or i have the security password. Don't believe it is a "phone" wide issue, or we would allbe  experiencing this.

• stupidllama

is it possible its a tethering app that is on?

• infiniteMPG

If you search the android forum boards around you will find references to this from many people, and most of those threads have many people saying they are having the same issue.  I am on my second Razr Maxx and have the same issue at places I could connect and use wifi flawlessly with my HTC Incredible.  And seeing as everyone here with a Razr Maxx (3 of us) have identical problems and everyone else can connect and use the wifi flawlessly, from a logical standpoint it is the phone(s).

Being grandfathered in to the unlimited data plan I do not mind being on 4G when I can't connect, but even that isn't great in this tin can of work.  One of the other Razr Maxx owners here is not.  So for 8-9 hours at work every day, with two wifi networks to connect to, he has to tap into his data bucket to use his phone.  If it were me, or if Verizon dumps it's unlimited data, I wouldn't handle it well and would quickly consider going back to an HTC product or something that didn't have this issue.

Was told yesterday that I would soon get a call back from Motorola Teer 3 Support but no one called, no one emailed.  If they don't I will be in touch with them again and update everyone.

• Matt (Forums Manager)

The promised time for a level 3 agent is 24 hours - we don't have many. Let me know if you don't hear back soon.

• infiniteMPG

It's been about 28 hours and still nothing.  Heading out for a long Memorial Day weekend so hopefully if they find something they can post it in here and more folks can benefit from it than just me.

Thanks!

• Cyclone08

Same thing is happening to me. My Razr Maxx has trouble connecting to some WiFi networks. :(

• infiniteMPG

Got a voicemail from Rose in Level 3 Support at Motorola while I was driving home.  Replied to the email to return the call but never did.  No solutions but at least I have some contact with Tier 3.

• Apaulct

I don't think this problem has to do with the 192.168.20.x subnet.  In all three cases your razr's ip is not within that range ...

4G case ip = 10.191.226.53

open network ip = 192.168.100.186

locked network ip = 10.120.253.33

all are valid private ip addresses not on the 192.168.20 subnet.  The posts that reference the problem with the 192.168.20.1 address deal with routers that have the same address.  This doesn't seem to be your case.

Since you are on a company wifi network, I wonder if they are blocking icmp (ping) packets or the firewall is doing something else.  You may want to talk to your company IT department too.  Just a thought, I'm a retired IT Director and, for security reasons, we had to block some network transactions.

This is interesting, please let us know the resolution.  Thanks,,

• infiniteMPG

When I had my HTC Incredible I could connect to BOTH work wifi networks with no issue and they have not changed a thing.  When I had my HTC Incredible I could connect to my wifi at my girlfriend's house and my Razr Maxx connects but no data.  When I had my HTC Incredible I could connect to the open free wifi at Tropicana Field, my Razr Maxx connects but no data.  When I had my HTC Incredible I could connect to free open wifi at Flying Dog cafe, my Razr Maxx connects but no data.  Yet people who still have Incredibles, Blackberries, LG Galaxies, HTC Evo, iPhones, and HTC Rezounds (these are people I know) can *ALL* connect to these wifis with no issues and have full data access.  I have an HP Netbook and can connot at these places with full data.

Not saying I cannot connect to ANY wifi, there are some I can still connect to including at home.

THE MOTOROLA DROID RAZR MAXX CAN CONNECT TO WIFI ROUTERS BUT WILL NOT SEND OR RECEIVE DATA ON SOME.  Not sure how much more we need to say it's a problem with the Razr Maxx.

Maybe reference these, too :

http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-razr-maxx/522267-phone-connects-wifi-but-no-data.html

https://forums.motorola.com/posts/c7bf2ccc7e

http://forums.androidcentral.com/droid-razr/146960-wi-fi-connection-issues-anyone-else-work-around.html

• infiniteMPG

And this one under troubleshooting that references "we have an IP address conflict between the LTE IP address and the default gateway address with the Ruckus router."...and says to resolve the problem by changing the default gateway on the wifi router away from 192.168.20.1 because that is the IP address of the LTE on the phone.

https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/77259/~/how-do-i-set-up-and-troubleshoot-wi-fi-issues-on-my-droid-razr-maxx%3F

And THAT is on a Customer Help site of Motorola!!!!  It is in reference to a certain wifi router but this is what it says :

How do I set up and troubleshoot Wi-Fi issues on my DROID RAZR MAXX?

Ruckus WiFi router issue

Issue: Device does not connect to Ruckus WiFi router (example model#: 2825)

Description: In DHD11 TA3 we have an IP address conflict between the LTE IP address and the default gateway address with the Ruckus router.

Work around: Change the default gateway address on the router as follows:
      Login Router through Browser: http://192.168.20.1
      User name: user
      Password: password
      (user name and pass written on AP)
      goto "Local network" under Configuration section on the Left side.
      change the field in : "Local IP Address" from 192.168.20.1 to
      Change :"Starting Address" from 192.168.20.2 to 192.168.0.2
      click update settings.

Note: We become aware of an issue with a certain Wi-Fi router Router: Netgear N600 WNDR3400, that may experience loss of Internet Connectivity on Wi-Fi signal with the DROID RAZR MAXX.

Here's our solution for this issue:

Go to the wireless settings for the Netgear router from a browser on your PC by going to 192.168.1.1
      On the Router Manager screen, go to the Setup section in the left hand column and select Wireless Settings
      Under the Wireless Network (2.4GHz b/g/n) section change the channel from Auto to a static channel of your choosing. (Any number from 01 -11)
      Scroll down to the bottom of the Wireless Settings screen and select Apply.

• Apaulct

^^^

That's what I'm refering to ... the Ruckus they talk about has an address of 192.168.20.1, which is in conflit with the RAZR.  Not so in your case.

I'm not trying to start a flame war, just posting other things to look at.  It could be a dhcp problem with the router issuing an ip or the RAZR accepting it.  Could be some app running preventing you from connecting ... etc.  Just have to narrow down the cause.

I personally have not had a problem connecting to wifi with my RAZR.  I use wifi at home all the time, local coffee shops when available, and even the local supermarket which allows you to scan your purchases as you shop then checkout by scanning a barcode at the register ... all over the store's wifi network.

• infiniteMPG

Not meaning to flame, just really p*ssed that I spent a ton of money to upgrade to a phone that can't connect to half the wifi spots I used to.   Whatever it is it is 100% Motorola Droid Razr Maxx specific.  Not the routers, wifi, DHCP or anything else.... none of that has changed and every other device around can connect and exchange data EXCEPT the Razr Maxx.  If there *IS* an issue with the router, DHCP or something like that it is with how the Razr Maxx is handling it.... not the router's fault.

A co-worker's daughter just talked him into upgrading to the Razr Maxx yesterday.  Fresh from the store out of the box yesterday.  No apps installed, as bare bones as they come.  He had it an hour, made two phone calls and that was it.  Asked me to help him set up his Verizon email and when I did we could not connect to email services or browse the web.  I checked and his wifi was ON, as soon as I turned it OFF his browser worked perfectly, email set up flawlessly, all on 4G.  Every other device EXCEPT the Razr Maxx CAN connect to either wifi service at work and transmit data.  Everything!  His was bare bones new so you can rule out an app unless it's comething Verizon/Motorola puts on there at the factory.

You are probably around wifi routers that are handling things differently then around the places I am going.  I usually leave wifi on and when I'm around free wifi I let it connect.  My flag is if I see the orange triangle alert icon at the top, which is the Corporate Synch fault, I know I tapped into a wifi system I can't transmit data with and I have to turn wifi OFF.  PAIN IN THE ***.... and only with the Razr Maxx.

This is my second Razr Maxx so I think I have another week of tolerance with this POS before I storm back to a Verizon store and exchange it for an LG or HTC product that can actually use wifi reliably.

• infiniteMPG

No call backs from tier 3 (or tier anything) support, no emails from support, no support replies in here.... hmmmm

• techwhiz

Hi,

So the issue is this:

The USB on the phone is also a network interface. When logged in via adb and issues ifconfig you get the following:

shell@cdma_spyder:/$ ifconfig usb1

usb1 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 02:21:00:1d:34:fb
      inet addr:192.168.20.1 Bcast:192.168.20.7 Mask:255.255.255.248
      inet6 addr: fe80::21:ff:fe1d:34fb/64 Scope:Link
      UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:1500 Metric:1
      RX packets:6255 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
      TX packets:8068 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
      collisions:0 txqueuelen:1000
      RX bytes:734362 (734.3 KB) TX bytes:2140397 (2.1 MB)

shell@cdma_spyder:/$

• The 192.168.20.1 is in the route table, so when you connect to WIFI and the default gateway is 192.168.20.1, it tries to send the data through the USB which will not work. The correct fix is to have a setting in the Wireless & networks that allows to either turn off this interface *OR* change the IP address to something that does not conflict. I won't go into how it can be changed because it violates the terms of the forum.