Discussion

gmanapps
    ICS - Sleep / Reboot / Freezing Problems
    Discussion posted January 21, 2012 by gmanappsCLIQ (1,000+ points) , last edited June 1, 2012
    20970 Views, 347 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    ICS - Sleep / Reboot / Freezing Problems
    Comment:

Seems to be a subset of individuals having problems with their WIFI  Xoom going to sleep and not waking up or rebooting while sleeping.   Its been discussed in other threads but thought it would be helpful to have people post the problem in a new thread to get more visibility and gather more information for Motorola so maybe they can help get it fixed for everyone who is having the problem.

General Assumption on common Symptom:

Xoom is going to sleep if left idle and is not waking up.   Additionally if left idle is also observed to be rebooting on its own.   Often takes the 3 finger salute (vol up + vol Down + power) to get device to come back on.   Battery life seems to be lower than normal due to problem.

General Questions to help find common trends:

Is Xoom refusing to wake up when attached to power when it goes to sleep?

Is Xoom refusing to wake up when not attached to charger when it goes to sleep?

How long does it take after device is sleeping for problem to occur?

Is there any difference with device "freezing" or not waking up from when let it go to sleep on its own, or when you hit power button to put it to sleep?

Have you done a factory reset on your device?

If you have done a factory reset did you test the device for problem before adding your applications back?

When trying to wake up device how many times did you push power button?

Is device appearing to reboot itself and when is it doing so?

While you are trying to get it out of sleep mode? (when power button is pushed)

Spontaneously without any user interaction with the tablet?

Other?

Does your battery seem to be draining much faster than normal?

Does problem occur if Xoom is connected via USB to the PC?

Does is always come out of sleep?

Does it randomly reboot?

Answer

• gmanapps

Some other general questiosn for individuals having the problem:

Has anyone tried leaving device in a "naked' state after factory reset and see if problem persists?

For those who have done a factory reset, have they tried not adding their google account back to the device.   And just left it in a non-setup state?   If it doesn't have a google account added to the device does device still exhibit the sleeping problem?   

A similiar problem had been reported on Nexus 4G forums with ICS, and "some" users found it being related to synchronization with their google account.   Bad contact data was causing their phones to rebot.

Some things for my fellow geeks to try:

I know that we have some IT geeks that have had this problem on their Xoom Wifi.   Has anyone (with the technical Knowledge) and having the problem tried turning USB debugging on, hooking it up to their PC and using "adb" from the android developers kit to look at the logs for the device while it is sleeping?   To see if device is showing any exceptions.

A couple things to try to gather more information.   Reboot Xoom, then with USB debugging turned on, and Xoom connected to PC with android SDK installed would be interesting to see what output of the dmesg command after device has gone to sleep:

Command run from PC, with output going to dmesg.txt file.

adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

As well as looking at content of the logcat while devices is idle and goes to sleep/etc.

adb shell logcat

When run the logcat command it will scroll for quite a bit, but will eventually stop scrolling.   At that point hit power button to put device to sleep.  When that happens will see something like:

I/power   (  162): *** set_screen_state 0
                  D/SurfaceFlinger(   89): About to give-up screen, flinger = 0x2e918

Then keep an eye on the log to see if you see any crashes, error messages, or if at some point tablet disconnects from the PC.   If nothing seems to show up for quite a while and Xoom hasn't disconnected from the PC then try hitting the power button ONCE to bring the Xoom out of sleep.   Do you get any log entries in response to the button push?   Do you see any entries that start with I/power? 

Wish I could help others out more, but all my tablets upgraded successfully.   I hope we can gather enough information that Motorola can work towards a timely fix.

• Far_from_mt

Is Xoom refusing to wake up when attached to power when it goes to sleep? YES - But Randomly - There is no set pattern

Is Xoom refusing to wake up when not attached to charger when it goes to sleep? Yes - But Randomly - again no set pattern

How long does it take after device is sleeping for problem to occur? For black screen, quick enough to hit the power button the second time, for reboots - 10-15 seconds.

Is there any difference with device "freezing" or not waking up from when let it go to sleep on its own, or when you hit power button to put it to sleep? Again it is random. Either one can cause the freezing, or reboot, or sometimes it works just fine.

Have you done a factory reset on your device? - Yes, twice from within the OS, and once from the Android Recovery Menu.

If you have done a factory reset did you test the device for problem before adding your applications back? - Yes, as a matter of fact, it rebooted when going to sleep from the Welcome Screen, and from the initial wireless setup.

When trying to wake up device how many times did you push power button? 5

Is device appearing to reboot itself and when is it doing so? Sometimes. It will sometimes reboot it self after pressing the power button to wake it up, Sometimes it will reboot 10-15 seconds after going to sleep.

While you are trying to get it out of sleep mode? (when power button is pushed) Yes, sometimes it reboots.

Spontaneously without any user interaction with the tablet? Yes, within 10-15 seconds after going to sleep. I have not had a reboot while actually using the tablet.

Other?

Does your battery seem to be draining much faster than normal? Most definately. I have had it freeze at the Motorola / Dual Core Technologies Srcreen. But not sure what is causing the biggest drain. Battery usage has shown 80% screen/20% android OS

Does is always come out of sleep? Oddly, yes, The 60 or so times I tried, there were no issues

Does it randomly reboot? No

Additionally, I want to point out it has problems booting. I have had it start booting, and show the Motorola Dual Core Technologies screen and then goes black. The LED by the camera at the same time quickly flashes red once, the device then appears to reboot. I have also had it hang on the Motorola Dual Core Technologies Screen, and I have also had it show the Fastboot something or other and hang there.

I initially had the SD card installed during the ICS load, I have had it in and had it out while the device was showing these issues.

• Far_from_mt
      gmanapps said:

Some other general questiosn for individuals having the problem:

Has anyone tried leaving device in a "naked' state after factory reset and see if problem persists?

For those who have done a factory reset, have they tried not adding their google account back to the device.   And just left it in a non-setup state?   If it doesn't have a google account added to the device does device still exhibit the sleeping problem?   

A similiar problem had been reported on Nexus 4G forums with ICS, and "some" users found it being related to synchronization with their google account.   Bad contact data was causing their phones to rebot.

Some things for my fellow geeks to try:

I know that we have some IT geeks that have had this problem on their Xoom Wifi.   Has anyone (with the technical Knowledge) and having the problem tried turning USB debugging on, hooking it up to their PC and using "adb" from the android developers kit to look at the logs for the device while it is sleeping?   To see if device is showing any exceptions.

A couple things to try to gather more information.   Reboot Xoom, then with USB debugging turned on, and Xoom connected to PC with android SDK installed would be interesting to see what output of the dmesg command after device has gone to sleep:

Command run from PC, with output going to dmesg.txt file.

adb shell dmesg > dmesg.txt

As well as looking at content of the logcat while devices is idle and goes to sleep/etc.

adb shell logcat

When run the logcat command it will scroll for quite a bit, but will eventually stop scrolling.   At that point hit power button to put device to sleep.  When that happens will see something like:

I/power   (  162): *** set_screen_state 0
                  D/SurfaceFlinger(   89): About to give-up screen, flinger = 0x2e918

Then keep an eye on the log to see if you see any crashes, error messages, or if at some point tablet disconnects from the PC.   If nothing seems to show up for quite a while and Xoom hasn't disconnected from the PC then try hitting the power button ONCE to bring the Xoom out of sleep.   Do you get any log entries in response to the button push?   Do you see any entries that start with I/power? 

Wish I could help others out more, but all my tablets upgraded successfully.   I hope we can gather enough information that Motorola can work towards a timely fix.

As stated above, it rebooted at the Welcome Screen, and also at the WiFi Configuration. It does not appear to be related to the Google account. I also from the Android Recovery menu cleared the cache partition.

I can try to capture the logs that you mention. I must admit that I don't know alot about the Android OS, if it was a Cisco device it would be different. :-) However, if it doesn't seem to displaying the symptioms whille connected via USB, will we catch anything? Is there a way to have the device capture the logs and save them while not being connected via USB?

• gmanapps
      Far_from_mt said:

As stated above, it rebooted at the Welcome Screen, and also at the WiFi Configuration. It does not appear to be related to the Google account. I also from the Android Recovery menu cleared the cache partition.

I can try to capture the logs that you mention. I must admit that I don't know alot about the Android OS, if it was a Cisco device it would be different. :-) However, if it doesn't seem to displaying the symptioms whille connected via USB, will we catch anything? Is there a way to have the device capture the logs and save them while not being connected via USB?

Yeah, if its not happening when connected to USB it means that its most likely a deep sleep issue.  Which is problematic as in theory issue won't happen when hooked to USB (as you have found out) and its really difficult to get anything to collect the log files while in deep sleep.  And many of the logs clear themselves if you reset the device to get it to boot.   Will have to do some more playing to see if there is a way to get at the logs.

The following might be an interesting test:

When device is not waking from sleep, can you hook it up to PC with the USB cable and is it recognized by the PC?  Can you still browse files?

Been trying to narrow it down as if the Android OS is not waking up or if the Linux kernel underneath is competely going south.  

• Far_from_mt

Just tried hooking up USB in "deep sleep" windows does not indicate any attempt to connect via USB. 

At what point does the Kernel start to load? I was almost wondering the same thing, but is the Motorola screen the same as the BIOS POST in a computer, or is it actually starting to load the kernel while the screen is showing.

You know, I would trade you one that doesn't work for one that does. :-)

• edengberg

Gmanapps, it appears that the investigation is going in circles. I have been trouble shooting circuits, systems and PCs for over 40 years so feel there is only one way to get to these problems quickly. When ICS began the install one of the first things it did was to "optimize" already installed applications and then update the media database. If the ICS OS becomes corrupted during the download or during this optimize/database udate process, going back to "factory reset" only brings the user back to a corrupted system.

What is necessary is on a malfunctioning Xoom a new virgin ICS needs to be installed that wipes the Xoom and does not try to optimize good and crapapps. Until this is done or another way is found to establish that the OS is not corrupted the troubleshooting process may continue to go in circles.

After a virgin update the desired applications can be installed one by one to see if there is one that creates the problem.

• gmanapps
      edengberg said:

Gmanapps, it appears that the investigation is going in circles. I have been trouble shooting circuits, systems and PCs for over 40 years so feel there is only one way to get to these problems quickly. When ICS began the install one of the first things it did was to "optimize" already installed applications and then update the media database. If the ICS OS becomes corrupted during the download or during this optimize/database udate process, going back to "factory reset" only brings the user back to a corrupted system.

What is necessary is on a malfunctioning Xoom a new virgin ICS needs to be installed that wipes the Xoom and does not try to optimize good and crapapps. Until this is done or another way is found to establish that the OS is not corrupted the troubleshooting process may continue to go in circles.

After a virgin update the desired applications can be installed one by one to see if there is one that creates the problem.

Its not going in circles, we are gathering good information to try make sure Motorola is able to fix the problem.   From the people I have exchanged messaes with I really doubt this is a corrupt ICS install problem as the update checks hash of each file prior to update and after the update.   So unless users saw the same  huge failure message when update originally applied, or all rebooted their devices half way through the install, I don't think its a corrupt install.   Corrupt installs would usually see a much wider range of problems and symptoms, not individuals with the same exact symptoms.    I doubt a full SBF install of ICS onto the devices would fix the problem, unless there is a common element between the devices that hasn't come to light....such as devices all being improperly refurbished units.  This issue was being complained about on custom ICS roms before the official OTA was released. 

Odd little things pop up when their are major OS upgrades.  Back on my Droid X last year when it got android 2.2 there was a whole bunch of DX phones that wouldn't come out of sleep if HDMI cable was plugged in,  while others units was fine.  Issue turned out to be slight differences in hardware and fact that a driver had different timing for turning things on, which caused certain version fo the DX hardware to not come out of sleep.  Motorola was able to replicate and fix it.   

• edengberg

Thanks gmanapps for your answer. Your explanation makes sense. Do you know how thorough the post install hash checks are and are they done after a factory reset?

• Far_from_mt
       My device was a brand new, although purchased from MacMall. Maybe that was the problem. :-) I received the update at approximately 10:00pm, MST on Wednesday, and was not presented any errors during the upgrade. I would volunteer reloading ICS, but won't go for voiding the warranty, if I do. Is there a way to capture a hash without rooting the device?
    • stan0607
       It just happened to me. I left it for a few hours and would not wake up. I used power and volume up and after about 5 tries it did a full reboot. This was the first time this happened to me since Wednesday morning when I installed ICS. I had left it unattended since the install and it woke up normally. I will keep an eye on it tonight. I will leave it on over night. I will post in the morning what happened. Sounds like it may be intermittent from what I have read. Gman I'm not a techie, I'm probably not going to be able to debug. Stan
    • corvette10

As I mentioned in the other thread, the same thing is happening to me since the ICS update. My Xoom is only 4 weeks old and has been working without any problems. Now it will not wake up from sleep mode. I must hold volume up and power button together several times before it will reboot. I hope there is a simple fix for this.

• manillio

I performed another factory reset yesterday and did not restore my apps and settings. Instead I just installed a few Google apps. The rebooting is now less frequent than it was before. But it still hapens every few hours. So the amount of apps running on the Xoom seems to have some effect.

Is Xoom refusing to wake up when attached to power when it goes to sleep?

yes. But most of the time it just reboots every few minutes to hours.

Is Xoom refusing to wake up when not attached to charger when it goes to sleep?

yes. It does not make a diffference if its connected to the charger or not.

How long does it take after device is sleeping for problem to occur?

There's no pattern. Sometime just a few seconds after the screen goes black, sometimes after two hours.

Is there any difference with device "freezing" or not waking up from when let it go to sleep on its own, or when you hit power button to put it to sleep?

No.

Have you done a factory reset on your device?

Yes.

If you have done a factory reset did you test the device for problem before adding your applications back?

Yes.

When trying to wake up device how many times did you push power button?

Two or three times until I notice the device does not power up.

Is device appearing to reboot itself and when is it doing so?

Yes. Always when it's sleeping. It never rebooted on my while the screen was on.

While you are trying to get it out of sleep mode? (when power button is pushed)

No

Spontaneously without any user interaction with the tablet?

Yes. Always.

Other?

No.

Does your battery seem to be draining much faster than normal?

Yeah, probably because of the constant reboots.

No.

Does is always come out of sleep?

Not when it crashed and needs a hardware reset.

Does it randomly reboot?

Yes. There appears to be no pattern.

-manillio

• manillio

A few observations that might be important:

• The device does not reboot when it's connected to the PC by USB. Even if the filesystem is not mounted and the PC is turned off (there's apparently still power on the USB port when my PC is turned off)
      • It doesn't make a difference if the SD card is present or not
      • The Xoom does not randomly reboot when in Airplane mode
      • Turning off Google syncing does not have an effect, the Xoom still randomly reboots

-manillio

• gmanapps

Am still thinking that this might be a deep sleep issue, but not sure why its an issue.   In theory with USB connected its impossible for device to go to state 4 where CPU basically pauses and it just refreshes memory so the not having problems with being hooked to USB makes sense, sorta.

Anyway here is something for folks to try who are having their Xoom not come out of sleep:

Download wake lock from teh android market

https://market.android.com/details?id=eu.thedarken.wl

Run the application, select "PARTIAL_WAKE_LOCK" radio button and click the check box for aquire/release lock and then let your device go to sleep.   See if that allows your device to wake back up or not.   A Partial wake lock tells the unit that its not allowed to go into deep sleep but just low CPU power mode where cpu keeps processing data.

Would give a better idea if its truely a deep sleep problem or if its something else, and might be a work around to make device usable untill Moto can find a real fix.

• stan0607
       @gmanapps Yesterday was first and only time for me. Left on over night, started normally this morning. Will wait and see if it repeats. If so, I will install recommended app.