Discussion

Mumiekage
    Definition of "Early Q3"
    Discussion posted July 30, 2012 by MumiekageTwo-Way Pager (40+ points) , last edited August 4, 2012 by joelbonÜBERXprt (12,000+ points)  , tagged DROID BIONIC™ by Motorola, DROID by Motorola, Verizon
    1531 Views, 45 Comments
    Discussion Subject:
    Definition of "Early Q3"
    Comment:

Not to seem juvenile, but if Q3 is three months long, then "early Q3" would be the 1st month of Q3. Else it is Mid Q3. Now, I'm not some mindless consumer. I am an R&D engineer, who's day-to-day consists of hardware and firmware/software. If I give an outline for a release date, my (edited profanity out) is grass, if I don't meet it. Come on Motorola, you are a leading company. I learned to program in assembly on one of your chipsets. You should have updated to Bionic like promised and in the timeline promised. If the update is not out by end of the day tomorrow, someone failed and should have their (edited profanity out) chewed for it.

Profanity has been removed.  Please be sure to review the house rules for more information on posting appropriately. 

Edited by joelbon — Comments removed due to violations of our forum rules. Questions? Read the rules.  

Answer

• huff825
      Not that I disagree, but that is exactly why they hardly ever put out dates. If they miss, people get mad, so they don't share update information. I share your definition, early quarter 3 would be now.
    • Swoops
      As I tend to agree with you, if there is only early and late then technically they have tell august 14th just to send out emails to soak test as that signifies the start of the "beginning of ICS rollout"
    • fanattic1

I was just curious where it was written where Motorola actually said "early third quarter".  After digging around a bit I can't find it.  Can you point me to where I can see where they said that?  I am new to this so I do not know all the information channels and would like to see for myself exactly what was said.

• Swoops
      I am on the mobile Site so you will have to copy/paste this link, sorry https://forums.motorola.com/pages/00add97d6c this is the ICS update list
    • Swoops
      Sorry that sideways picture was bugging me
    • fanattic1

Thanks!  That sure looks pretty black and white to me.  Some of the others lead you to belive it is just "sometime" in the 3rd quarter but they actually said "early" for the Bionic.

• Swoops
      Ya and that was updated today!
    • terryb
      So Moto gets chewed up by people disappointed when they don't hit a published schedule. Of course, if Moto would give occasional updates as to what's going on, like "version xxx alpha'd, webtop launch problems" maybe, I don't know, someplace like here, owners who actually follow updates might be a little more understanding. Just a link to the Moto dev's progress log would be enough. You would think with MotoMobo not exactly being a cash cow somebody among the suits would realize that catering to the technophiles, who are the ones consulted when friends and family members are looking for a new phone, might not be the worst if ideas.
    • Drusafa

I agree, a status update would be nice. To be fare, none of the big companies seem to communicate with us little people. Why explain them selves to the people who pay there salaries?? I am just about done with Sammy, they are way worse than Moto. Kinda makes me think of those people who only call when they need something. augh!

• phildavis516

I think early Q3 means anything before the last day of SeptemberCool

• stattd1
      No no... you've got it all wrong. Their update says it is due "early q3" which means quadrant 3, this runs from july through 2016. Geez guys! They are right on schedule, DUH! ;-)
    • huff825

I'm not going to defend anyone, but i don't think any other manufacturer is any more forthcoming. I would also agree that anything after August 15 would no longer be early Q3. And, the beginning of the soak test is considered rollout. It would have to be soon or they miss their mark. It could also be verizon holding things up. I would rather wait for a solid build, but that's just me.

• joelbon
      terryb said:
      So Moto gets chewed up by people disappointed when they don't hit a published schedule. Of course, if Moto would give occasional updates as to what's going on, like "version xxx alpha'd, webtop launch problems" maybe, I don't know, someplace like here, owners who actually follow updates might be a little more understanding. Just a link to the Moto dev's progress log would be enough. You would think with MotoMobo not exactly being a cash cow somebody among the suits would realize that catering to the technophiles, who are the ones consulted when friends and family members are looking for a new phone, might not be the worst if ideas.

They really have tried this. Back in the OG Droid days they did this. It blew up in their face so bad that they decided to end all communications about updates except for the Update page. If you peruse the OG Droid community you will see multiple, really long, very irate threads. It really really got nasty.

I find the current policy much better. People never remember that things can change and if you put a date on it then it either comes out or there will be serious consequences. It just isn't worth it. Hope this helps.

• terryb
      Ever seen a project management timeline with a target date adjustable for whatever crops up during the course of the project? From everything I've read on the whole OG thing it was handled badly as to keeping information about project holdups out there. Moto has released phones since the OG. All provided occasion to work on the process of keeping users reformed, refine it, make itl better, rather than retreating behind walls of, 'y'all are messed up and we're not gonna talk to you no more' and sticking their fingers in their ears and going "Lalalalalala" about the entire enthusiast community out there. Who else does Google need to fire?
    • huff825
      http://www.gottabemobile.com/2012/08/01/slow-droid-bionic-ice-cream-sandwich-update-frustrates/